Blake Barnett transferring again

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I still am somewhat confused by CNS recruiting Hurts. Did he commit to a RPO offense and sell this to Hurts and his father only to change his mind in Hurts second year. We all know that CNS prefers a pro style offense, so why did he recruit Hurts? This situation, IMO, is on CNS not Hurts.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I still am somewhat confused by CNS recruiting Hurts. Did he commit to a RPO offense and sell this to Hurts and his father only to change his mind in Hurts second year. We all know that CNS prefers a pro style offense, so why did he recruit Hurts? This situation, IMO, is on CNS not Hurts.
According to every source that I can remember, Saban committed to preparing Hurts to run a pro set offense. Hurts came to Alabama to play QB, not to play the way that he has played. Everyone believed that Kiffin could get him there. Everyone was wrong.

That said, Saban and Kiffin both understood that Jalen's legs gave them a real weapon that most teams would not be able to defend. So they incorporated that into the offense. But I do not believe for a second that Saban ever intended to convert the entire offense into the RPO offense that we saw. Essentially, the P in the RPO was absent.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I still am somewhat confused by CNS recruiting Hurts. Did he commit to a RPO and sell this to Hurts only to change his mind in Hurts second year. We all know that CNS prefers a pro style offense, so why did he recruit Hurts? This situation, IMO, is on CNS not Hurts.
Because Jalen came to learn a Pro Style offense and though he was a little rough around the edges he had potential to be molded and shaped into that type of passer.

The problem is that honestly Jalen is pretty much the same type of player now as he was as a HS Sr. His strength was accurate deep balls and scrambling/running. His weakness was standing in the pocket, reading defenses, and hitting small windows.

This past year I believe we used some RPO elements to try and help give him easier reads/options but unfortunately his decision making with RPO's is as delayed and ill-times as his pocket passing.

I love the guy... he's by all accounts a phenomenal young man, great student, teammate, and ultra talented athlete... but he just has not developed as a College QB.

We brought in Mac Jones for the Pro-Style as well.... he has received the same coaching and in 1 season has gone from looking like a HS Sr in last year's A-Day game to this year looking like a QB ready to step in and play if needed...and play well.

CNS can't predict the future.

Last edited:

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
This feels like a HUGE stretch. If Barnett was better at running a pro style offense than Jalen was at running our 2016 offense then we would likely have rolled with that. Idk why you think Barnett can run ANY offense effectively at all. We've never seen it
Well, it May be a huge stretch - but - Respectfully, go watch the film of the first two games of the 2016 season, then pull the stats. Check and see which QB had higher yards per pass attempt, yards per pass completion, and the kicker - yards per play, which (obviously) includes all the scrambles, called runs, called passes, and the negative yards taken in sacks.

You might be surprised.

Heck - Look at the numbers, even through game 4 - the Kent State game. - By that time the team had pretty obviously bailed on BB and he was getting almost no support from the OL, RB's or WR's.....

I mean, isn't the whole point of an offense to gain yards? (and to score points, obviously - but that's kind of tough to do if you can't gain yards - witness the Clemson game a year ago, and the first half of the UGa game this past January.........)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Well, it May be a huge stretch - but - Respectfully, go watch the film of the first two games of the 2016 season, then pull the stats. Check and see which QB had higher yards per pass attempt, yards per pass completion, and the kicker - yards per play, which (obviously) includes all the scrambles, called runs, called passes, and the negative yards taken in sacks.

You might be surprised.

Heck - Look at the numbers, even through game 4 - the Kent State game. - By that time the team had pretty obviously bailed on BB and he was getting almost no support from the OL, RB's or WR's.....

I mean, isn't the whole point of an offense to gain yards? (and to score points, obviously - but that's kind of tough to do if you can't gain yards - witness the Clemson game a year ago, and the first half of the UGa game this past January.........)
Forget the stats - I watched those games. Jalen was amazing in those games. He made defenses look silly.

BB was not chopped liver, but Jalen played like a super star. The only question about Jalen at that point was, could he keep doing this without getting injured. Only later, when he faced tough defenses, did we see Jalen's limitations. By then, BB had bailed.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
CNS has made it pretty clear (as have a few former players) that the QB that 'wins the locker room' has a huge advantage wrt becoming starter. Hurts won the team over and the rest is history.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

You might be surprised.

Bottom line, Barnett only looked comfortable once the game was out of reach. Whenever he was put into pressure situations, he had a “deer in the headlights” look, completely overwhelmed.

If he were meant to be a starting college QB, he would already be starting. Transferring a 2nd time proves that.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

You might be surprised.

He threw a grand total of 19 passes against Western Kentucky, Kent State and a defeated USC team. The 2 passes he completed during a competitive part of the USC game went for a total of 3 yards. Come on guy...

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
Because Jalen came to learn a Pro Style offense and though he was a little rough around the edges he had potential to be molded and shaped into that type of passer.

The problem is that honestly Jalen is pretty much the same type of player now as he was as a HS Sr. His strength was accurate deep balls and scrambling/running. His weakness was standing in the pocket, reading defenses, and hitting small windows.

This past year I believe we used some RPO elements to try and help give him easier reads/options but unfortunately his decision making with RPO's is as delayed and ill-times as his pocket passing.

I love the guy... he's by all accounts a phenomenal young man, great student, teammate, and ultra talented athlete... but he just has not developed as a College QB.

We brought in Mac Jones for the Pro-Style as well.... he has received the same coaching and in 1 season has gone from looking like a HS Sr in last year's A-Day game to this year looking like a QB ready to step in and play if needed...and play well.

CNS can't predict the future.
Most succinctly put post; crystalizing my thoughts perfectly.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Does Canada have college football?
Do they ever! Alas, Waterloo Lutheran, the perfect landing spot of last resort for surfer boy, was long ago renamed for a Canadian prime minister called Wilfrid Laurier. Though the renaming also has relevance to the itinerant QB in question since there's a national historic site on campus of PM Laurier "sitting on a bench, thinking deeply about the future."

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
He threw a grand total of 19 passes against Western Kentucky, Kent State and a defeated USC team. The 2 passes he completed during a competitive part of the USC game went for a total of 3 yards. Come on guy...
Ok - look - I'll try to let it go.

FWIW, I think we can all agree that ONE point is beyond dispute - BB is today a BUST, and a second transfer almost certainly seals his fate. No doubt about it.

The post above about "winning the locker room" is likely the real answer here, and I DO accept that it's all spilt milk now.

But I watched the games too. In week 2 a "blind man" could see that the decision had already been made between the QB's - and that was proven in week 3. In week 4, BB got the same "support" from the OL and receivers that Jalen got in the first half of A-Day.
IF ALL you knew about JH was what you saw at A-Day last weekend, would you think he'd ever start for any SEC team?? Might you even be calling Jalen a "deer in the headlights", IF that was all you knew about him??

Thing is - here's what I saw at the outset of the USC game. I saw an Alabama OL that couldn't find its collective "backside' with both hands for about 4 offensive series. Starting in the Fifth Offensive series they settled down and player pretty well the rest of the night. Reality is, ANY QB who played after those first 4 series would have looked pretty good. Cooper Bateman would have looked pretty good. JPW would have looked pretty good.

What I saw was BB get the first two series behind a very poorly functioning OL. He successfully called all plays, even audible'd out of a play once - no one was lined up in the wrong place, no one went the wrong direction. He attempted three passes, two were complete and the one Incomplete was low, but STILL hit Ridley in the hands and Clavin dropped it. BB took a sack on this first 3rd down (a blitz), on his second third down he completed a pass for positive yards with an unblocked rusher coming in full speed.
2-3 passing for +3 yards, one sack, no other mistakes, +14 yards total offense. Yea, a "deer in the headlights."

Then he was pulled. Jalen got the next two series.

First play is a screwup - Jalen botches a simple hand-off and the ball is turned over. (Supposedly a "Cardinal Sin" in Saban's eyes - right?) On the next series, JH hands the ball off twice, then on 3rd down rolls out to pass - doesn't see his primary receiver open, tucks the ball to run - NO GAIN. Punt.
1-1 passing (if you don't count the aborted called-pass on the third down play) - MINUS 1 yard passing, One turnover, one scramble for no gain. Minus 2 yards total offense.

So neither QB was exactly blowing it up - but one didn't make any obvious errors, and even stood in the pocket and made a clutch completion under hard pressure. The other made repeated mistakes.

Yet from that point forward, Barnett never again got even ONE more meaningful snap at UA.
Why not?
You are free to disagree, of course. But those facts (and all the stats ARE facts) are why I've believed since the night of the USCw game that the decision to go "sand lot" was made BEFORE the game started.

Of course, "The rest is history" - Once the OL tightened up and kept Jalen clean, he blew the game open, just as he's done in EVERY GAME* SINCE..... (* when he's not under ANY pressure).
BB quit - bailed on the team and made a really stupid choice to transfer to Az State, sealing his fate as a "Never Was", and he will soon be forgotten completely.
But What might have happened had our Coaches NOT decided to roll the dice with "Sandlot" football in 2016?

Of course, We'll never know.
All we know for sure is that it didn't work, and Alabama is apparently going to run out of a base offense that's mostly "pro style" for the foreseeable future.

So there you have it. I'll let it go, if Y'all will. :wink:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Ok - look - I'll try to let it go.

FWIW, I think we can all agree that ONE point is beyond dispute - BB is today a BUST, and a second transfer almost certainly seals his fate. No doubt about it.

The post above about "winning the locker room" is likely the real answer here, and I DO accept that it's all spilt milk now.

But I watched the games too. In week 2 a "blind man" could see that the decision had already been made between the QB's - and that was proven in week 3. In week 4, BB got the same "support" from the OL and receivers that Jalen got in the first half of A-Day.
IF ALL you knew about JH was what you saw at A-Day last weekend, would you think he'd ever start for any SEC team?? Might you even be calling Jalen a "deer in the headlights", IF that was all you knew about him??

Thing is - here's what I saw at the outset of the USC game. I saw an Alabama OL that couldn't find its collective "backside' with both hands for about 4 offensive series. Starting in the Fifth Offensive series they settled down and player pretty well the rest of the night. Reality is, ANY QB who played after those first 4 series would have looked pretty good. Cooper Bateman would have looked pretty good. JPW would have looked pretty good.

What I saw was BB get the first two series behind a very poorly functioning OL. He successfully called all plays, even audible'd out of a play once - no one was lined up in the wrong place, no one went the wrong direction. He attempted three passes, two were complete and the one Incomplete was low, but STILL hit Ridley in the hands and Clavin dropped it. BB took a sack on this first 3rd down (a blitz), on his second third down he completed a pass for positive yards with an unblocked rusher coming in full speed.
2-3 passing for +3 yards, one sack, no other mistakes, +14 yards total offense. Yea, a "deer in the headlights."

Then he was pulled. Jalen got the next two series.

First play is a screwup - Jalen botches a simple hand-off and the ball is turned over. (Supposedly a "Cardinal Sin" in Saban's eyes - right?) On the next series, JH hands the ball off twice, then on 3rd down rolls out to pass - doesn't see his primary receiver open, tucks the ball to run - NO GAIN. Punt.
1-1 passing (if you don't count the aborted called-pass on the third down play) - MINUS 1 yard passing, One turnover, one scramble for no gain. Minus 2 yards total offense.

So neither QB was exactly blowing it up - but one didn't make any obvious errors, and even stood in the pocket and made a clutch completion under hard pressure. The other made repeated mistakes.

Yet from that point forward, Barnett never again got even ONE more meaningful snap at UA.
Why not?
You are free to disagree, of course. But those facts (and all the stats ARE facts) are why I've believed since the night of the USCw game that the decision to go "sand lot" was made BEFORE the game started.

Of course, "The rest is history" - Once the OL tightened up and kept Jalen clean, he blew the game open, just as he's done in EVERY GAME* SINCE..... (* when he's not under ANY pressure).
BB quit - bailed on the team and made a really stupid choice to transfer to Az State, sealing his fate as a "Never Was", and he will soon be forgotten completely.
But What might have happened had our Coaches NOT decided to roll the dice with "Sandlot" football in 2016?

Of course, We'll never know.
All we know for sure is that it didn't work, and Alabama is apparently going to run out of a base offense that's mostly "pro style" for the foreseeable future.

So there you have it. I'll let it go, if Y'all will. :wink:
I mean, the Ridley throw was bad sure he got his hands on it but that would have been a tough grab. Jalen doesn't throw those incredibly well either but hes not the throwing QB in that competition. It was also a relatively easy throw. and the "14 yards" was mostly from an end around idk why Barnett gets credit for that.

Regardless you are making a judgment on a handful of plays vs the coaches that made the decision based on tons of practice time.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
If Jalen waits until he graduates to transfer, he’ll only have one year left unless he redshirts. Yes, he loses credit hours, but that shouldn’t matter that much. He isn’t paying for it and he could be there for three more years, plenty of time to get his degree and a masters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I mean, the Ridley throw was bad sure he got his hands on it but that would have been a tough grab. Jalen doesn't throw those incredibly well either but hes not the throwing QB in that competition. It was also a relatively easy throw. and the "14 yards" was mostly from an end around idk why Barnett gets credit for that.

Regardless you are making a judgment on a handful of plays vs the coaches that made the decision based on tons of practice time.
Totally agree. Game film isn't all that goes into these decisions.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.