Interesting look back at the 2016 starting defense

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
Posted on another board. Sorry if already posted here but I did review and didn't see it.

CB Marlon Humphrey - 1st round, 2017 Draft
CB Minkah Fitzpatrick - 1st round, 2018 Draft
SS Ronnie Harrison - 3rd round, 2018 Draft
FS Eddie Jackson - 4th round, 2017 Draft (would have been drafted much higher if not for knee injury)

OLB - Ryan Anderson - 2nd round, 2017 Draft
ILB - Rashan Evans - 1st round, 2018 Draft
ILB - Reuben Foster - 1st round, 2017 Draft
OLB - Tim Williams - 3rd round, 2017 Draft

DE - Jonathan Allen - 1st round, 2017 Draft
DT - DaRon Payne - 1st round, 2018 Draft
DE - Dalvin Tomlinson - 2nd round, 2017 Draft

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Looking back - hard to believe they didn't win the championship.

BamaFanTN

3rd Team
Mar 1, 2011
Melbourne, FL
Posted on another board. Sorry if already posted here but I did review and didn't see it.

FS Eddie Jackson - 4th round, 2017 Draft (would have been drafted much higher if not for knee injury)

Wasn't Anthony Averrett the other corner and he was a late round pick this year.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
The majority of the 2016 starters on offense have been/will end up being drafted also.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Answer: not enough experienced depth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, the answer was too many snaps played because we couldn't sustain drives on offense. 99 plays? No college team has the depth to support that. Hell, no pro team has the depth to support that.

To me it's just further proof of the imbalance we've had on offense the last 2 years. Boom or bust. Feast or famine from drive to drive and nothing in between.

Sorry. I don't mean to hijack this thread and turn it into another offensive look back but that defense was good enough to win a championship.

We were not a complete team.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
No, the answer was too many snaps played because we couldn't sustain drives on offense. 99 plays? No college team has the depth to support that. Hell, no pro team has the depth to support that.

To me it's just further proof of the imbalance we've had on offense the last 2 years. Boom or bust. Feast or famine from drive to drive and nothing in between.

Sorry. I don't mean to hijack this thread and turn it into another offensive look back but that defense was good enough to win a championship.

We were not a complete team.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
But the previous year we rotated 8, 9 people on the defensive line. We just couldn’t/didn’t use that many in the year in question. If we had been able to do that there is a greater likelihood we could have survived and gotten one more stop at the end.

So i would say that you aren’t wrong, but I’m not either.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
But the previous year we rotated 8, 9 people on the defensive line. We just couldn’t/didn’t use that many in the year in question. If we had been able to do that there is a greater likelihood we could have survived and gotten one more stop at the end.

So i would say that you aren’t wrong, but I’m not either.

That team went 14-0 against the most difficult schedule in the history of the game and lost the 15th game with one second remaining. Depth wasn't a problem. You had more depth than any team in the country.

It just didn't work out. Sometimes it just isn't meant to be.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
That team went 14-0 against the most difficult schedule in the history of the game and lost the 15th game with one second remaining. Depth wasn't a problem. You had more depth than any team in the country.

Ok. Fine.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013

What really stands out to me is that the LOWEST draft pick in that group was Eddie Jackson in the 4th round. He was easily a 2nd rounder if he hadn't gotten hurt.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Answer: not enough experienced depth

I think the answer was not enough offensive efficiency and ball control due to too many three and outs.
Also, in addition to Averett, I think I saw that Shaun Dion Hamilton was drafted.

Last edited:

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

I agree ... we've had several teams in the past that faced similar situations. The 2008 team comes to mind. If they would have beat Florida, I truly believe they would have won a championship too. 2016 was arguablly one of the best teams we've had as far as what they were able to accomplish.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I think we definitely had enough depth on defense to win it in 2016. The offense was the problem. As someone stated too many 3 and outs and I'd also add in the NCG Sark was getting the plays in too fast and we were snapping the ball to quickly. Obviously if we are not moving the ball effectively and snapping it quickly we just give it right back to Clemson giving them more chances. If we let the play clock go down to 2 or 3 seconds instead of snapping it with 10-12 seconds I think we are the champions.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I think we definitely had enough depth on defense to win it in 2016. The offense was the problem. As someone stated too many 3 and outs and I'd also add in the NCG Sark was getting the plays in too fast and we were snapping the ball to quickly. Obviously if we are not moving the ball effectively and snapping it quickly we just give it right back to Clemson giving them more chances. If we let the play clock go down to 2 or 3 seconds instead of snapping it with 10-12 seconds I think we are the champions.
I really think if we had simply bled the clock a little more then we would have won, but is what it is - a win last year probably would have meant not winning this past year.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I think the answer was not enough offensive efficiency and ball control due to too many three and outs.
Also, in addition to Averett, I think I saw that Shaun Dion Hamilton was drafted.

and the reality is that Tim Williams wasn't even a starter in all the packages. Jennings was a starter in base and often the #2 OLB used in Nickel. he's still on campus so we could add even more to the list. Brown was our Star starter post jackson's injury, so if he makes a team that's another one in the league.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.