RollTide.com Alabama Men’s Basketball Honors 2017-18 Team with Annual Postseason Banquet

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Click for story

Check out Herb Jones. Bama listed him as 6'7 last year. Does he look it in those pictures (click photo gallery in the link)? Looks over 6'10 when standing next to Giddens and Hall. Might just be the angle and how the players are standing, but he looks much taller than 6'7.

Avery did talk to the media after the banquet...

Johnson updates roster status after transfer, medical redshirt

[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]But when asked if Alabama’s 2018-19 roster is set, Johnson said “today we are,” but didn’t rule out the possibility of adding one more player, taking advantage of some “flexibility.”
[/FONT]

[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]“We also have ways that we have some flexibility there, and we’ve had that flexibility, probably, for the last two or three years if we want to go a little bit deeper and add somebody else to the team,” he said. “But today we feel good about where we, especially having Riley back.”[/FONT]
That sounds like AJ can become a walk-on if the right person (recruit or transfer) wants to come to Alabama.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I can't find a photo gallery in the link.

I remember an announcer during one of the basketball game broadcasts stated that Jones had grown since he arrived (to 6'9 I think). I have no idea about his true height.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Yes, Jones has grown and looked to be taller than Hall. It could be partly hair though,LOL. BTW, Hall wanted to come out this year, but his mom wanted him to get his degree. Braxton was not there at all, but Sexton was. He is finishing up his semester with finals. I think he will come back and get his degree. Most kids who are one and done stop attending class after the season is over. It says a lot about his character. All the player parents were there including walk-ons except for Reese's parents. It just seemed odd since they are so close.

Obviously everyone knows about Riley. I also heard coach will add another 2018 player if the thinks it is the right fit so that means AJ Jr can become a walk-on if necessary. I guess if we get the Rivny or Timme kid he'll make room.

EDIT. Timme is 2019 so disregard him.

Last edited:

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
In one photo, coach and Hall are side by side. In another Jones and coach are side by side. The top of CAJ's head lines up to about the same place on the necks of both players. That doesn't make them the same height, but I bet they're close.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
In one photo, coach and Hall are side by side. In another Jones and coach are side by side. The top of CAJ's head lines up to about the same place on the necks of both players. That doesn't make them the same height, but I bet they're close.
Which would be believable since Donta was listed at 6'9 last year compared to Herb at 6'7.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Which would be believable since Donta was listed at 6'9 last year compared to Herb at 6'7.
Exactly. Since there weren't really any photos of him next to other players with the same angle or orientation, I thought I'd look for similarly staged photos. That seemed to be the closest one and appears to back up the speculation.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.