Georgia Gubernatorial Candidate Draws Public Fire For Shocking Pro-Gun Ad

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
(Exhales and sees he's beaten Jon, 92tide, and 2003Tide to post this insanity)

https://www.aol.com/article/news/20...rial-candidate-brian-kemp-backfires/23424517/

“I’m a conservative businessman with a four-point plan to put hardworking Georgians first,” Kemp said in a tweet Friday when he unveiled the ad. ”I’m also the proud father of three teenage girls. Here’s the thing: If you want to date one of my daughters, you better have respect for women and a healthy appreciation for the Second Amendment.”

While his shotgun is “broken” open and unable to fire as the ad starts, he closes it up at the end and aims it at the boy, which viewers found especially disturbing, particularly in the wake of school shooting deaths. Other weapons lean against the wall in Kemp’s “study” in the ad.

Some viewers took Kemp’s “aw shucks” attitude in the ad as an attempt at down-home humor (or an “audition” for “Saturday Night Live”) and found it hilarious. But most people responding on Facebook and YouTube were horrified that Kemp appeared to be threatening a minor with a gun.

====================================

I'm assuming he won't win. Keep in mind I said the same thing about Trump.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

https://www.aol.com/article/news/20...rial-candidate-brian-kemp-backfires/23424517/

“I’m a conservative businessman with a four-point plan to put hardworking Georgians first,” Kemp said in a tweet Friday when he unveiled the ad. ”I’m also the proud father of three teenage girls. Here’s the thing: If you want to date one of my daughters, you better have respect for women and a healthy appreciation for the Second Amendment.”

While his shotgun is “broken” open and unable to fire as the ad starts, he closes it up at the end and aims it at the boy, which viewers found especially disturbing, particularly in the wake of school shooting deaths. Other weapons lean against the wall in Kemp’s “study” in the ad.

Some viewers took Kemp’s “aw shucks” attitude in the ad as an attempt at down-home humor (or an “audition” for “Saturday Night Live”) and found it hilarious. But most people responding on Facebook and YouTube were horrified that Kemp appeared to be threatening a minor with a gun.

times like this are when i'm really happy we don't have cable or a land-line. other than a bunch of flyers, i don't see much of the silliness during election season

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
times like this are when i'm really happy we don't have cable or a land-line. other than a bunch of flyers, i don't see much of the silliness during election season
I managed to get through the entire 2016 election season without being too bothered. It wasn't always like this.

Back in 1996, I lived in Arkansas. Clinton, of course, was running for re-election but that was actually okay. Since Dole knew he wasn't going to beat Clinton in Arkansas, we didn't get commercials from either one of them. However - as I'm sure you recall - the GOP took the House in 1994 and for awhile it looked like they might lose it right back. We had TV commercials from both major House districts and a Senate race featuring Tim Hutchinson (his brother, Asa, is now the governor over there) versus Winston Bryant. Oh and of course the local house and senate races - oh and also....

Governor Jim Guy Tucker had resigned in the summer in the fallout of the Whitewater scandal, elevating Lt Governor Mike Huckabee to the office. His new LTG was Winthrop Rockefeller, Jr........and NOW on top of all those races we had.......a LTG race to boot.

And for the most part the GOP, while losing the Prez vote substantially, won most of the other offices.

There were nights when I watched prime time TV and it seemed we didn't have a single commercial for hours that wasn't a campaign commercial. It was an absolute nightmare. Radio was even worse (although there was a hilarious one about a local race where they had the candidate supposedly at show and tell at eight years old saying, "I'm gonna be a CAREEERR politician." It WAS funny).

But nevertheless - what can you tell me about whack job here?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I managed to get through the entire 2016 election season without being too bothered. It wasn't always like this.

Back in 1996, I lived in Arkansas. Clinton, of course, was running for re-election but that was actually okay. Since Dole knew he wasn't going to beat Clinton in Arkansas, we didn't get commercials from either one of them. However - as I'm sure you recall - the GOP took the House in 1994 and for awhile it looked like they might lose it right back. We had TV commercials from both major House districts and a Senate race featuring Tim Hutchinson (his brother, Asa, is now the governor over there) versus Winston Bryant. Oh and of course the local house and senate races - oh and also....

Governor Jim Guy Tucker had resigned in the summer in the fallout of the Whitewater scandal, elevating Lt Governor Mike Huckabee to the office. His new LTG was Winthrop Rockefeller, Jr........and NOW on top of all those races we had.......a LTG race to boot.

And for the most part the GOP, while losing the Prez vote substantially, won most of the other offices.

There were nights when I watched prime time TV and it seemed we didn't have a single commercial for hours that wasn't a campaign commercial. It was an absolute nightmare. Radio was even worse (although there was a hilarious one about a local race where they had the candidate supposedly at show and tell at eight years old saying, "I'm gonna be a CAREEERR politician." It WAS funny).

But nevertheless - what can you tell me about whack job here?
i haven't really paid much attention. on spring break i did see one commercial of an ex-army guy dressing up again and doing an obstacle course to humiliate two elitist insiders in suits. mainly i want to see the front runner, cagle, go down hard. he seems like a tool (even more-so than the others) and his brother and sister-in-law live in my neighborhood and the sil is a whack job.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I grew up with guns and the strictest of all rules was that no gun was ever empty and, therefore, you never cover anything or anybody with the muzzle you don't intend to kill. I vote "no"...

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I was in Atlanta for work and saw it on TV. I’m not anti-gun, but that isn’t funny to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL

Sorry had a baby and started a new job recently. Haven’t had too much internet time. ;-) Kemp is an idiot. He’s been a part of enough shenanigans as Secretary of State to know that much. I think my voter data has been stolen or leaked 2 or 3 times now. Plus he’s been doing the good ole boy voter roll purges that got him sued.

Last edited:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Sorry had a baby and started a new job recently. Haven’t had too much internet time. ;-) Kemp is an idiot. He’s been a part of enough shenanigans as Secretary of State to know that much. I think my voter data has been stolen or leaked 2 or 3 times now. Plus he’s been doing the good ole boy voter roll purges that got him sued.
I saw the news of this but am out of the U.S. right now. I also never watch any local TV so would have only seen this online anyway

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I grew up with guns and the strictest of all rules was that no gun was ever empty and, therefore, you never cover anything or anybody with the muzzle you don't intend to kill. I vote "no"...
That's basically my take. I understand that some of the criticism towards him is actually from pro-gun owners for that very reason.

To me there are some things you just don't do - this is one of them.

(Filming a commercial showing your opponent at Jerry Sandusky's charity would be another one).

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Wow. That could have been better served maybe showing him hunting with his daughter's boy friend and not threatening him. Dumba**es abound.

Maybe this would have been a better angle?

"I have a healthy respect for the 2nd amendment and am very protective of my daughters. That's why I invite my daughters' boyfriends to go hunting with me so they understand my convictions as well. Respect for my family, respect for our Constitution, respect for one another."

I just think it could have played out better. Of course he could have just pulled the Marty Huggins drama and shot Cam Brady in the thigh.

Last edited:

Zorak

All-American
Jan 8, 2010
Orlando, FL (Winter Park area)
Ditto. The flyers either go into the recycling bin before ever getting inside, or get given to my son to destroy.

And it's always nice not getting any calls during election season. (Then again, no one ever calls me, except my wife on occasion and my mother every once in a while).

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Also interesting about the ad is that in the background, there is an array of weapons--including a couple of AR-15s, natch--on the floor, leaning against the wall. Seems like a cavalier attitude towards gun storage. ;)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.