Off Season Question: Will Bama Pull the Rare 3-Peat???

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
2010 is one of the most loaded Alabama has ever seen, and yet we lost 3 games. 2013 is another one, and yet we lost THE GAME. In 2013 we lost to Auburn mostly due to a highly regarded offensive coordinator. I don't know how Locksley will do, and neither does anyone else. We will know where we are mid season. And who is to say Tua has a slump? Then what? Everyone wants to act like he is the Heisman and this and that, but we have no idea whats going to happen when coaches realistically gameplan against him.

I would argue that you are discouraging conversation by A) asking about a 3 peat instead of a Repeat and B) complaining about the most likely point of view of the board would take to the question and C) asking people to stop posting who have the pov of lets talk about 2 before 3. I was merely explaining the obvious to you.I personally don't mind these kind of threads, but I think its a bit silly to expect about 2/3 rds of this board not to voice that they don't feel its proper to talk about 3 before 2

Okay, maybe wording is where we disagree. Hoping and expecting to compete and be in the mix is where I'm at, I just think people expecting a national championship every year is just too unrealistic for me. I take it as "calling" or "expecting" one is very unrealistic during the pre season.

My point on our fortunate bounce on selection sunday is that we could've easily been where we were on December 8th, 2013 on December 3rd, 2017 because of the iron bowl. If you really want me to pull a Selma and remind you of all the threads our more realistic Alabama fans started and posted in on championship week then youll find an overwhelming majority that thought we were heading to Atlanta to play UCF. There are so many seemingly meaningless games that have to have certain results for a non champ to get in.

THe point is that calling for one and expecting one before mid season is for the sunshine pumping homers and the mortgage betters. I think you have a more realistic assessment mid season because you can gauge injuries and productivity. Now giving predictions for fun is fine, but this thread is giving us two years to predict. I really think , " do you think Bama will repeat "is a better question personally.
I just think we disagree AND, I think you'd probably disagree if the OP had been about expectations/hopes (it's semantics) of winning 2 in a row since you've gone on about how hard it is.

Again, thanks for your thoughts.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Just for the sake of clarity I'll summarize my current thoughts about these next 2 years. I would be surprised if we didn't win at least one championship over the next 2 seasons and I think it is more likely we win this upcoming season than the next. My only hold up for this years team is the CBs and Tua's hand
I agree. Year 2 would be easier than the three-peat. It's why it's so rare in sports.

On your concerns: I think Tua will be just fine unless there's more to the injury than originally reported. I think the CBs will be just fine. Remember who's coaching them and remember we have some that will join the team in the fall that will likely be immediate contributors.

The other thing I love about this year is that there seems to be a hunger with the young ones that's a little unusual. They were a big part of the NC game, but they also probably feel they didn't get a chance to show all they could've last year. Despite winning it all, it seems there's a little chip on their shoulder and a big desire to prove themselves.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Here are my keys to a possible Bama 3-peat:

1. Tua must stay healthy.
2. Must avoid excessive injuries at other positions.
3. Defense must play up to usual Bama standards.
4. Must avoid falling victim to fluke plays. (examples: Tipped pass TD by Ole Miss and Kick Six by AU)
5. Must avoid complacency.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I agree. Year 2 would be easier than the three-peat. It's why it's so rare in sports.

On your concerns: I think Tua will be just fine unless there's more to the injury than originally reported. I think the CBs will be just fine. Remember who's coaching them and remember we have some that will join the team in the fall that will likely be immediate contributors.

The other thing I love about this year is that there seems to be a hunger with the young ones that's a little unusual. They were a big part of the NC game, but they also probably feel they didn't get a chance to show all they could've last year. Despite winning it all, it seems there's a little chip on their shoulder and a big desire to prove themselves.
I think Tua will be fine to it just harder to be as confident with him missing the only time we get to see him play before Louisville. And with that its hard to know how good our CBs really are. But I agree I think they will be ok. I'm curious to see if Surtain earns a significant roll and what that roll might be.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I would argue that you are discouraging conversation by A) asking about a 3 peat instead of a Repeat and B) complaining about the most likely point of view of the board would take to the question and C) asking people to stop posting who have the pov of lets talk about 2 before 3. I was merely explaining the obvious to you.I personally don't mind these kind of threads, but I think its a bit silly to expect about 2/3 rds of this board not to voice that they don't feel its proper to talk about 3 before 2.
I must have missed this, but you actually are illustrating exactly what I was talking about: You say I am "discouraging conversation by" and you list three things:

A: Asking about a 3 peat instead of a 2 peat: I started the thread, you didn't. I'm not discouraging conversation by starting a thread, I'm encouraging it. At especially this time of the year, the board is sometimes pretty slow so how is starting a thread discouraging conversation??? I think sometimes there is a hesitancy to start new threads because people chime in that "we ought not to talk about this." That's fine if you feel that way, but instead of discouraging discussion on a new thread, just skip it and go to another one that interests you OR start a new thread about what you think is a better topic. But I understand it's easier to be "negative" than "creative" and I think you've proved it with your negative comments.

B & C: Complaining about the most likely position the board would take to the question and asking people who thought we should talk 2 before 3 to stop posting: I never asked people not to post about discussing the subject of the OP nor did I complained about anyone disagreeing, just about a couple saying we shouldn't discuss it at all. I doubt you know what 2/3 of the board thinks about anything, but most people who didn't want to talk about the prospects or hope of winning 3 in a row just decided not to post because the subject didn't interest them. What I personally think you should have done is start another thread about how hard it is to win a NC (which would be a good thread) or about us winning 2 straight (which would also be a good thread), but instead of doing that, you tried to derail a thread that several probably felt would be good to discuss. And, FWIW, you didn't have to explain what was "obvious" concerning we have to win 2 before 3. You think I don't know that???

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I must have missed this, but you actually are illustrating exactly what I was talking about: You say I am "discouraging conversation by" and you list three things:

A: Asking about a 3 peat instead of a 2 peat: I started the thread, you didn't. I'm not discouraging conversation by starting a thread, I'm encouraging it. At especially this time of the year, the board is sometimes pretty slow so how is starting a thread discouraging conversation??? I think sometimes there is a hesitancy to start new threads because people chime in that "we ought not to talk about this." That's fine if you feel that way, but instead of discouraging discussion on a new thread, just skip it and go to another one that interests you OR start a new thread about what you think is a better topic. But I understand it's easier to be "negative" than "creative" and I think you've proved it with your negative comments.

B & C: Complaining about the most likely position the board would take to the question and asking people who thought we should talk 2 before 3 to stop posting: I never asked people not to post about discussing the subject of the OP nor did I complained about anyone disagreeing, just about a couple saying we shouldn't discuss it at all. I doubt you know what 2/3 of the board thinks about anything, but most people who didn't want to talk about the prospects or hope of winning 3 in a row just decided not to post because the subject didn't interest them. What I personally think you should have done is start another thread about how hard it is to win a NC (which would be a good thread) or about us winning 2 straight (which would also be a good thread), but instead of doing that, you tried to derail a thread that several probably felt would be good to discuss. And, FWIW, you didn't have to explain what was "obvious" concerning we have to win 2 before 3. You think I don't know that???
You’ve been long enough to know exactly what the response would be. Stop being silly and getting butt hurt about the thread not going the way you want it. And above all stop trying to being the board etiquette cop.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
Tua the #1 draft pick? Anything is possible, but one great pass play to win the Championship game doesn't equate to a #1 pick in the draft. I hope it does though.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
This thread is full of Gump. I mean the most Gumpin’ I’ve ever witnessed. The OP went full Gump. Never go full Gump. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
You’ve been long enough to know exactly what the response would be. Stop being silly and getting butt hurt about the thread not going the way you want it. And above all stop trying to being the board etiquette cop.
I've been here long enough to know that sometimes it's best just to let it go. RTR.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Tua the #1 draft pick? Anything is possible, but one great pass play to win the Championship game doesn't equate to a #1 pick in the draft. I hope it does though.
Tua showed alot more than just on that one pass. The whole second half, when put in context, was an amazing performance. But, we had already seen some magic before then.

We don't know what'll happen two years from now, but if we were to pull off the trifecta and Tua improves and puts up big numbers, he'll be a high pick for sure!

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
Winning three in a row (I’d prefer not to use a trademarked term here) is not rare; in the poll era, it’s unprecedented.

Alabama should have done it four times. We were hosed twice by polls (1966 and 1977) and twice by illegal plays (2013 and 2016). I’m not certain (Selma?), but believe no one else has had more than one real opportunity...

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Winning three in a row (I’d prefer not to use a trademarked term here) is not rare; in the poll era, it’s unprecedented.

Alabama should have done it four times. We were hosed twice by polls (1966 and 1977) and twice by illegal plays (2013 and 2016). I’m not certain (Selma?), but believe no one else has had more than one real opportunity...

Using the AP poll - since 1936:
4 other programs have had 1 chance with consecutive NCs: ND 46-47, USC 03-04, Min 40-41, Army 44-45.
2 other programs have had 2 chances with consecutive NCs: OU 55-56, 74-75, Neb 70-71, 94-95.
2 other programs have had 1 chance with winning 2 of 3 NCs: Miami 89,91; UF 06,08.

Bama has had 3 chances with consecutive NCs: 64-65, 78-79, 11-12.
Bama has had 2 chances with winning 2 of 3 NCs: 09,11 and 15,17.

So, Bama has had 5 chances to 3-peat, the rest of college football combined has had 10.

(Bama had one more chance pre AP - 25-26. ND and others also had some.)
(To show how difficult it is, as great of a program as OSU is, they've won 5 NCs, tied for 4th, but they've never won 2 closer than 12 years apart.)

Last edited:

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
For us to do that I think that Saban will finally have to defeat a very good Auburn team(9+ wins) which amazingly he has not been able to do yet in his career. Stidham is back this year and I expect them to be very good in 2018.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
For us to do that I think that Saban will finally have to defeat a very good Auburn team(9+ wins) which amazingly he has not been able to do yet in his career. Stidham is back this year and I expect them to be very good in 2018.
It's mostly been circumstances:

2010: does anyone need to mention all of the AU breaks? One of the greatest teams in AU history vs the worst Saban team in last 10 years, lost 2 more reg season games than any other team since 2007.
2013: does anyone need to mention the AU breaks? Bama team did not even win their own division vs AU team that went to BCS champ game.
2017: injured, one legged offensive team that was fortunate to be where they were. Bama didn't even win their own division vs AU team who beat undefeated UGA and won the West. After the AU game, Bama got healthy and eventually played a QB who could provide a fully functioning offense.

Bolded part (partly TIC): see both can play that game, "AU can only beat the worst teams of Saban's tenure". I.e., the losing team always looks worse after the loss. 4 of AU's losing teams won 8 games, if they would have beaten Bama they would have won 9 games and 2 of those teams could have won 10 but lost their bowl. Also, Bama can't help it if AU is so inconsistent that they had so many seasons where they can't measure up to Alabama. Bama has beaten 4 good AU teams since 2008. After 2 of AU's 3 wins, AU made the BCS champ game, after a multitude of good breaks vs Bama, and against the 2 (only 2 teams that did not win at least 12 games) worst Bama teams since 2008. We can turn it around and say that AU can't beat one of Bama's best teams and that their teams had to be 2 of the best teams in their history just to squeak out a fortunate win at home. Bottom line is that there is no need for Bama to be spooked, but some of the fans who forget logic, will inject a great deal of unneeded nerves into the Bama atmosphere. Bama has won 7 of 10.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
That's true, but Saban has never lost two in a row to Auburn, so I expect a win in this years IB. If Auburn has 9 wins coming into the game that would be fine because then Saban can finally put an end to that streak.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
It's mostly been circumstances:

2010: does anyone need to mention all of the AU breaks? One of the greatest teams in AU history vs the worst Saban team in last 10 years, lost 2 more reg season games than any other team since 2007.
2013: does anyone need to mention the AU breaks? Bama team did not even win their own division vs AU team that went to BCS champ game.
2017: injured, one legged offensive team that was fortunate to be where they were. Bama didn't even win their own division vs AU team who beat undefeated UGA and won the West. After the AU game, Bama got healthy and eventually played a QB who could provide a fully functioning offense.

Bolded part (partly TIC): see both can play that game, "AU can only beat the worst teams of Saban's tenure". I.e., the losing team always looks worse after the loss. 4 of AU's losing teams won 8 games, if they would have beaten Bama they would have won 9 games and 2 of those teams could have won 10 but lost their bowl. Also, Bama can't help it if AU is so inconsistent that they had so many seasons where they can't measure up to Alabama. Bama has beaten 4 good AU teams since 2008. After 2 of AU's 3 wins, AU made the BCS champ game, after a multitude of good breaks vs Bama, and against the 2 (only 2 teams that did not win at least 12 games) worst Bama teams since 2008. We can turn it around and say that AU can't beat one of Bama's best teams and that their teams had to be 2 of the best teams in their history just to squeak out a fortunate win at home. Bottom line is that there is no need for Bama to be spooked, but some of the fans who forget logic, will inject a great deal of unneeded nerves into the Bama atmosphere. Bama has won 7 of 10.
Yet he is 0-7 against 9 win Auburn teams. I think the more we try to justify those losses due to luck and cheating the more we ignore that Auburn is the one team CNS has the biggest trouble with. The biggest problems are that 6 of those games were at Jerking Hair Stadium and Auburn plays over their heads vs Alabama and LSU there. So any prediction for 2019 is like playing Russian roulette just because its AUBURN at Jerking Hair stadium.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Yet he is 0-7 against 9 win Auburn teams. I think the more we try to justify those losses due to luck and cheating the more we ignore that Auburn is the one team CNS has the biggest trouble with. The biggest problems are that 6 of those games were at Jerking Hair Stadium and Auburn plays over their heads vs Alabama and LSU there. So any prediction for 2019 is like playing Russian roulette just because its AUBURN at Jerking Hair stadium.

I couldn’t agree more. Last years 12 point loss to the barn was our worst loss( by points) in the Iron Bowl in over 40 years. I don’t attribute all of that result to Saban, but he is the one getting paid to have the team ready to play.

Last edited:

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
If you read the post - you just don't get it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.