Off Season Question: Will Bama Pull the Rare 3-Peat???

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
For us to do that I think that Saban will finally have to defeat a very good Auburn team(9+ wins) which amazingly he has not been able to do yet in his career. Stidham is back this year and I expect them to be very good in 2018.
This actually surprised me. I had actually thought that the year we beat Auburn 50 something to 40 something they must have won at least 9 games but it turns out I was wrong.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If you read the post - you just don't get it.
Get what? That you think that Auburn isn’t anything to worry about? That you aren’t a believer that there is something to a glaring 0-7 vs 9 win Auburn teams? That you are trying to label the 0-7 thing a nothing burger? That you believe Auburn doesn’t beat Alabama, and it’s all luck and injuries?

I remember telling you before last season that when we are playing at Jerking Hare Stadium you can throw out the talent advantage if Auburn has something to play for and we usually lose those games because half the time we are fighting missed calls as much as we fight a tough Auburn team. It’s been proven time and time again that we just can’t play seem to beat them down there when they have something to play for. The best team we beat down there was in 2001. But it was one of those rare moments when everything went our way and we caught Auburn looking ahead. Point is at some point we have to come to the realization that Auburn is our biggest threat atleast every other year.

You can come up with all of the excuses in the world, but streaks usually don’t lie. We have a hard time beating good Auburn teams and There is something to the 0-7 streak. The most common belief is CNS teams are more machine like in those games while Auburn plays very emotional and over their heads. But who knows? But what I do know is that excuses get us nowhere the Christmas
After the game because all your Auburn family members are wearing a shirt just to remind you.

FWIW in all of the iron bowl losses with the exception of 2007 we have far superior talent than the Auburn teams that we faced.

Last edited:

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Get what? That you think that Auburn isn’t anything to worry about? That you aren’t a believer that there is something to a glaring 0-7 vs 9 win Auburn teams? That you are trying to label the 0-7 thing a nothing burger? That you believe Auburn doesn’t beat Alabama, and it’s all luck and injuries?

I remember telling you before last season that when we are playing at Jerking Hare Stadium you can throw out the talent advantage if Auburn has something to play for and we usually lose those games because half the time we are fighting missed calls as much as we fight a tough Auburn team. It’s been proven time and time again that we just can’t play seem to beat them down there when they have something to play for. The best team we beat down there was in 2001. But it was one of those rare moments when everything went our way and we caught Auburn looking ahead. Point is at some point we have to come to the realization that Auburn is our biggest threat atleast every other year.

You can come up with all of the excuses in the world, but streaks usually don’t lie. We have a hard time beating good Auburn teams and There is something to the 0-7 streak. The most common belief is CNS teams are more machine like in those games while Auburn plays very emotional and over their heads. But who knows? But what I do know is that excuses get us nowhere the Christmas
After the game because all your Auburn family members are wearing a shirt just to remind you.

FWIW in all of the iron bowl losses with the exception of 2007 we have far superior talent than the Auburn teams that we faced.
And AU has a tough time beating the best Bama teams. Bama in not 0-7, Saban is 7 out of the last 10, with 4 of those wins against 8 win teams, and 2 of the 3 losses with the 2 worst Bama teams since 2008. So, we can say AU can only beat Bama's worst teams with 2 of the greatest teams in their history, teams that made the NC game. We can both play the "can't beat..." game. Au never beat a Bama team that finished with 12 wins til this year. They beat a injured defense and a limited offense, that healed up and eventually played the QB who could provide a fully functioning offense. That's the only reason Bama won 12 this year.

And even with that it took an unusual number of big breaks (I never said anything about cheating). The breaks are something you can't deny and are an unusual occurrence. And they are facts. It seems you want to ignore facts and make them sound like excuses, but you are wrong - they happened in those 2 losses. You can't throw out the talent and coaching advantage that Bama has, but they can be overcome under the right circumstances. AU has been fortunate to have them 3 of the last 10 years, remembering that they had 2 of the greatest teams in their 120+ year history that time.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You can come up with all of the excuses in the world, but streaks usually don’t lie.
The next time that Alabama plays Auburn and both have 9 wins will be the first time that those teams play one another. It is cool for fans to look at things like streaks, but don't make the mistake of turning them into something that they are not - statistically relevant. Each loss has its own story to tell. Each happened for different reasons, completely unrelated to the others. It's not as if Saban's teams continue to make the same mistakes over and over again, or Auburn's teams continue to make the same plays. Each game is so remarkably different that it is hard to believe that they are all against the same team.

Only the hatred between the two programs make "streaks" like this relevant, not the games themselves.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
And AU has a tough time beating the best Bama teams. Bama in not 0-7, Saban is 7 out of the last 10, with 4 of those wins against 8 win teams, and 2 of the 3 losses with the 2 worst Bama teams since 2008. So, we can say AU can only beat Bama's worst teams with 2 of the greatest teams in their history, teams that made the NC game. We can both play the "can't beat..." game. Au never beat a Bama team that finished with 12 wins til this year. They beat a injured defense and a limited offense, that healed up and eventually played the QB who could provide a fully functioning offense. That's the only reason Bama won 12 this year.

And even with that it took an unusual number of big breaks (I never said anything about cheating). The breaks are something you can't deny and are an unusual occurrence. And they are facts. It seems you want to ignore facts and make them sound like excuses, but you are wrong - they happened in those 2 losses. You can't throw out the talent and coaching advantage that Bama has, but they can be overcome under the right circumstances. AU has been fortunate to have them 3 of the last 10 years, remembering that they had 2 of the greatest teams in their 120+ year history that time.
Good Grief

2010- Yeah we had 3 losses but we returned the heisman trophy winner, the one of the best receiver in the NFL today, a capable qb, and a highly talented defense. We lost all 3 of those games off other teams bye weeks and had like 5 teams coming off byes. Cam Newton made us more equal teams going into that game, but We WERE STILL THE SUPERIOR TEAM.

2013. Are you really trying to say a 11-0 team with AJ McCarron and Amari Cooper was a subpar team. If I remember right that was the best offensive production in the CNS era. Coaching on the offensive side costed us that game. We were far superior to that Auburn team but yet found a way to lose to that team.

2017- Injuries or no injuries I still think we were going to have a tough time beating them. They were closest in talent in this game due to their lines, their qb, and their running backs.

Let’s look at the facts:In the last 30 years, Alabama has beaten 1 Auburn team with 9 wins (94). In that same period Auburn has beaten 3 undefeated Alabama teams (89,13,& 17) all a Jerkin Hair. CNS is 0-7 against 9 win Auburn teams (3 at LSU 4 at Bama)

Point is Auburn is the one team on our schedule that refuses to die, and beating them is often a struggle ( especially down at the cow palace). You can be a deniar all you want to, but the fact remains Auburn is our biggest challenge in getting into the National Championship and they have a historical habitat of winning games in which they have something to gain.

FWIW The clear best team overwhelmingly usually wins but even or near even games are up for grabs, but there hasn’t been a game since 2007 in which we weren’t the superior team.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Unfortunately, no.

The run is incredible, but there's another way of looking at it. Let's look at it like non-Alabama fans would to show you how close the line really is between greatness and just plain good.

2009 - Tennessee hits the FG and it's over
2011 - Okie St hits the FG and it's over
2012 - UGA hits the end zone and it's over; LSU owned us for the entire second half except the TD drive
2015 - one play difference loses the Tennessee or Clemson game
2017 - one play was the difference in both MSU and UGA

"Well, if only this in 13 and this and in 14 and this in 16 and we'd have seven in a row."

Yeah, but look at it the other way and we could be worse than Mack Brown before he finally got one. The TRUTH is that we've been just as close to
failing to achieve as we have achieved.

"Well, we could have seven in a row and eight overall" is true.
"Well, we could have none at all" is just as true.

We've come out better than 50/50 so......

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
And AU has a tough time beating the best Bama teams.
They beat the national champions just last year.....

Bama in not 0-7, Saban is 7 out of the last 10, with 4 of those wins against 8 win teams, and 2 of the 3 losses with the 2 worst Bama teams since 2008.
1) The 2010 team had a 24-0 lead
2) The 2013 team had a 21-7 lead and had the ball in the Auburn red zone three times in the fourth quarter and had no points - and were unbeaten
and pretty much unchallenged right up to that point.

So, we can say AU can only beat Bama's worst teams with 2 of the greatest teams in their history, teams that made the NC game.
We could also point out that one of the main reasons they made the NC game is....wait for it......because they beat Alabama......

We can both play the "can't beat..." game. Au never beat a Bama team that finished with 12 wins til this year.
I know ,and it's kind of ridiculous, isn't it? I don't think we gain anything by playing what is the opponent's game of "but if."

They beat a injured defense and a limited offense,
Auburn's best running back left the game with a shoulder injury and Alabama's "limited offense" averaged 4 ppg more than Auburn did.
At the time the game was played that number was even higher since the Tide "only" scored 50 points combined in the last two games, over
10 points below average.

Alabama was only held to less than 24 points by one defense - Auburn held us to 14.

that healed up and eventually played the QB who could provide a fully functioning offense. That's the only reason Bama won 12 this year.
It's not Auburn's fault who Saban plays....

And even with that it took an unusual number of big breaks (I never said anything about cheating). The breaks are something you can't deny and are an unusual occurrence. And they are facts.
They might well be "facts," but it's also a fact that if we had won the game that nobody would even be making those "points."

Let's be blunt - Auburn beating Georgia in 2013 on that bomb was just flat out insane good luck. A break if you will.
Auburn beat US in 2013 was them taking advantage of something, thinking ahead.....aka making the play

It seems you want to ignore facts and make them sound like excuses, but you are wrong - they happened in those 2 losses.
Colt McCoy also got hurt five plays into the NC game, too. One of the best QBs in the country that year. If Texas doesn't get to count that then we don't get to count any, either.

You can't throw out the talent and coaching advantage that Bama has, but they can be overcome under the right circumstances.
Blowing 24-0 leads ranks high on the list of right circumstances

AU has been fortunate to have them 3 of the last 10 years, remembering that they had 2 of the greatest teams in their 120+ year history that time.
But it is historical revisionism of the worst sort to NOW all of a sudden say, "Well, 2013 Alabama wasn't that good anyway."

That's funny. Except for Texas A/M (and that score was really artificially close).......that 2013 team didn't have a single team closer than 13 points at the final whistle prior to Auburn. In fact, if you take out MSU and ATM, the closest final score was 21 points (LSU). Those are 1995 Nebraska, 1991 Washington Huskies numbers entering the last game.

Let's not soothe it over with unreal claims.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

I remember telling you before last season that when we are playing at Jerking Hare Stadium you can throw out the talent advantage if Auburn has something to play for and we usually lose those games because half the time we are fighting missed calls as much as we fight a tough Auburn team. It’s been proven time and time again that we just can’t play seem to beat them down there when they have something to play for. The best team we beat down there was in 2001. But it was one of those rare moments when everything went our way and we caught Auburn looking ahead. Point is at some point we have to come to the realization that Auburn is our biggest threat at least every other year.
This is generally true. I can't really argue.

Yeah - unreal isn't it?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The next time that Alabama plays Auburn and both have 9 wins will be the first time that those teams play one another.
1971 and 1994 disagree btw.

It is cool for fans to look at things like streaks, but don't make the mistake of turning them into something that they are not - statistically relevant. Each loss has its own story to tell. Each happened for different reasons, completely unrelated to the others. It's not as if Saban's teams continue to make the same mistakes over and over again, or Auburn's teams continue to make the same plays. Each game is so remarkably different that it is hard to believe that they are all against the same team.

Only the hatred between the two programs make "streaks" like this relevant, not the games themselves.
It's kinda like that whole "if the Washington Redskins win, this political party wins."

It's a funny observation but it proves nothing at all about anything.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Lots a good points regarding the 0-7 thingy against the Barn with CNS as HC.

What I take from it is his "process" doesn't put unequal importance on any one game/rivalry (within reason*) and, quite the opposite, the Barn puts everything into beating Bama.

*I think CNS has put alot of emphasis on beating LSU because I think he thought they presented out biggest obstacle in winning the west and SEC. And while he's pretty much lived up to the claim "to dominate the team on the other side of the state" I don't think he's put enough emphasis on the Auburn game.

That said, I wonder how we'd feel about beating Auburn, but having burnt so much energy in doing so, we'd get to the SECCG flat and lose it?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The next time that Alabama plays Auburn and both have 9 wins will be the first time that those teams play one another. It is cool for fans to look at things like streaks, but don't make the mistake of turning them into something that they are not - statistically relevant. Each loss has its own story to tell. Each happened for different reasons, completely unrelated to the others. It's not as if Saban's teams continue to make the same mistakes over and over again, or Auburn's teams continue to make the same plays. Each game is so remarkably different that it is hard to believe that they are all against the same team.

The weird thing is that we are 2-0 when both teams are undefeated (71, 94)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The weird thing is that we are 2-0 when both teams are undefeated (71, 94)
If we are both undefeated, there's more at stake than just the IB and I think, with AU's lack of championship history, it might apply a little more pressure on them than us.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I have always thought that maybe the losses to auburn might be Coach Saban’s approach to the game. Saban treats it as “the next game” whereas auburn treats it as the most important game in the history of ever.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I have always thought that maybe the losses to auburn might be Coach Saban’s approach to the game. Saban treats it as “the next game” whereas auburn treats it as the most important game in the history of ever.
That almost certainly plays into it, but it is also why Alabama wins championships and is able to rebound from losses. What happens when you make a game "must win" in the minds of the players and you lose?

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
Which is why Auburn usually tank there season before or after the Iron bowl. Gus is 1-4 in Bowl games and 0-4 in bowl games that aren't crap bowls like the Birmingham bowl.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Good Grief

2010- Yeah we had 3 losses but we returned the heisman trophy winner, the one of the best receiver in the NFL today, a capable qb, and a highly talented defense. We lost all 3 of those games off other teams bye weeks and had like 5 teams coming off byes. Cam Newton made us more equal teams going into that game, but We WERE STILL THE SUPERIOR TEAM.

2013. Are you really trying to say a 11-0 team with AJ McCarron and Amari Cooper was a subpar team. If I remember right that was the best offensive production in the CNS era. Coaching on the offensive side costed us that game. We were far superior to that Auburn team but yet found a way to lose to that team.

2017- Injuries or no injuries I still think we were going to have a tough time beating them. They were closest in talent in this game due to their lines, their qb, and their running backs.

Let’s look at the facts:In the last 30 years, Alabama has beaten 1 Auburn team with 9 wins (94). In that same period Auburn has beaten 3 undefeated Alabama teams (89,13,& 17) all a Jerkin Hair. CNS is 0-7 against 9 win Auburn teams (3 at LSU 4 at Bama)

Point is Auburn is the one team on our schedule that refuses to die, and beating them is often a struggle ( especially down at the cow palace). You can be a deniar all you want to, but the fact remains Auburn is our biggest challenge in getting into the National Championship and they have a historical habitat of winning games in which they have something to gain.

FWIW The clear best team overwhelmingly usually wins but even or near even games are up for grabs, but there hasn’t been a game since 2007 in which we weren’t the superior team.

You are really distorting things. I did not say that the 13 team was "subpar", I accurately stated that they were the 2nd worst team, record wise, since Saban started his run in 2008. I was making a point. One which has gone past you.
You take selective numbers and make them say what you want. You say that CNS's Bama is 0-4, 0-3 since he got it rolling in 2008, vs AU 9 win teams, but you ignore that he is 4-0 vs 8 win AU teams. Btw, those 8 win teams would have been 9 win teams or possibly greater if they had beaten Bama. We simply have drawn very different conclusions re: this issue. I see what you are saying but I disagree with your conclusions.

I would say more, but we are just talking past each other now. Neither will change the others' mind.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

They beat the national champions just last year....
Did not say they couldn't beat them, but that "they had a tough time". Which is true 1-4

1) The 2010 team had a 24-0 lead
2) The 2013 team had a 21-7 lead and had the ball in the Auburn red zone three times in the fourth quarter and had no points - and were unbeaten
and pretty much unchallenged right up to that point
Didn't say those weren't good teams, but that they were "the 2 worst teams of the 10 yr run". This is a true statement record wise. Btw, one of my primary points in this dialog has been that you can be deceptive, while making true statements. I'm not saying that they are intentionally deceptive, but their arguments are deceptive, usually to themselves also.

We could also point out that one of the main reasons they made the NC game is....wait for it......because they beat Alabama.....

Again, you are making my point - thank you.

Auburn's best running back left the game with a shoulder injury and Alabama's "limited offense" averaged 4 ppg more than Auburn did.
At the time the game was played that number was even higher since the Tide "only" scored 50 points combined in the last two games, over
10 points below average.

Still doesn't change the fact that Bama's D was severely injured and the O was severely limited.
It's not Auburn's fault who Saban plays....
But the circumstances made it very difficult to change the QB at that point in time.

Let's be blunt - Auburn beating Georgia in 2013 on that bomb was just flat out insane good luck. A break if you will.
Auburn beat US in 2013 was them taking advantage of something, thinking ahead.....aka making the play

Don't disagree regarding the one play. I never thought it was lucky or flukey, though it was unusual. OTOH, there were many others over which AU had no control, especially the missed FGs. And the one where AU made a play that was allowed by good fortune.

Colt McCoy also got hurt five plays into the NC game, too. One of the best QBs in the country that year. If Texas doesn't get to count that then we don't get to count any, either.

First, I never ridiculed or even criticized UT for referencing CM, though there is a person (not the HC), time (not continuously, and never admitting defeat) and place. IMO, when trying to logically analyze a matter, such things are legitimate issues to raise. CM's loss did dramatically affect the game - we have no idea if it would have affected the outcome - and it doesn't matter, because Bama won. In the end that's the primary matter, in the end AU is 3-7 vs Bama and IMO, deserved to win all 3. But when Bama fans make their charge that AU's wins mean more than they do, it's valid to respond in kind.

Blowing 24-0 leads ranks high on the list of right circumstances
True, but the amazing and numerous breaks that AU got are also circumstances, circumstances that are hard to overcome, both in their practical and psychological effect.

But it is historical revisionism of the worst sort to NOW all of a sudden say, "Well, 2013 Alabama wasn't that good anyway."

Who said, "Bama was not that good". What I said that it was one of the 2 worst teams in the Bama run. That is true record-wise. I was primarily making the point that you can make numbers say a lot of things.

In summary, I was using his method of using numbers to cast the worst light on the Bama, to cast AU's wins in the worst light. The bottom line is that Bama has won 7 of 10 from AU. 2 of the 3 winning AU teams were with 2 of the best teams in AU history. But we have some fans who act like Saban is a failure vs AU. This even though he has won 7 of 10 vs a good program. Some of these same fans will be shaking and wringing their hands this Nov and if Bama were to lose would act as though the AU game is their life. Just giving them some of their own medicine - medicine they should be happy to take, btw :).

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.