Off Season Question: Will Bama Pull the Rare 3-Peat???

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Disclaimer: It's the off-season so this is purely speculative.

In the QB competition thread, I raised the possibility that I believe two years from now it's a possibility we could be celebrating 3 NC in a row and Tua could be the #1 draft choice. FWIW, if we pull off the 3-peat with him at QB, I think that's a real possibility.

With our recruiting humming at even higher levels (so it seems) and the potential of the returning team and infusion of new talent (especially in the defensive backfield) and with the prospects of Tua's incredible potential as a playmaker, what do you guys think???

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I remember after the Barn won in 1982 seeing a bumper sticker that said, "1972, 1982, 1992: Can Auburn Make it Three in a Row?"
Well, that's very barnerish! I'd expect no less.

Our chances are not so outlandish. I know it takes "luck" to win a NC and I imagine we'd need some good breaks to pull the 3-peat.

I also know some of us are skeptical to even talk about the possibility but our program is at such a level that opposing fans/coaches/talking heads see it could be a real possibility.

And it's not like we haven't sniffed the possibility in 2013.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Well, that's very barnerish! I'd expect no less.

Our chances are not so outlandish. I know it takes "luck" to win a NC and I imagine we'd need some good breaks to pull the 3-peat.

I also know some of us are skeptical to even talk about the possibility but our program is at such a level that opposing fans/coaches/talking heads see it could be a real possibility.

And it's not like we haven't sniffed the possibility in 2013.
Yes we will need some luck but who is going to bet against Coach Saban? No me, so why not expect it.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Why stop at 3?

I mean, its way to early to really know but we have won 5 of the last 9 years. I don't feel like doing the math but at that pace I'm sure it becomes almost likely that we will in 3 in a row at some point (depending on how long CNS coaches.)

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
Never happen. If we win another there will be some kind of <Saban> rule created that disallows three in a row.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I think it is certainly possible. As long as we have Coach Saban, don't write off any possibility. That said, the chances of winning a single NC are very much against you in any given year. The best team does not always wind up as the National Champs. I am sure if we looked back over time, we could find many such cases, and I believe one could argue that our most recent is an example of just that(even though I would have a hard time choosing who was the best if we weren't) . So, I think our odds of having the best team are very good, but having all the right chips fall into place for that best team to be crowned as champs three times running is a tall order, for sure. Bama fatigue, one poor outing, a bad bounce or call here or there....any of these could easily derail us.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
We need to stop doing the hard way. We just need to win 12 cupcake regular season games, one meaningless bowl game then declare ourselves NC.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Too many question marks on defense right now to say. We can certainly score points with Tua at QB but if the defense gives up too many points we could lose a shootout and get eliminated.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
It’s a real possibility. Let’s not forget that we were one play away from already having a 3-peat...
I was going to post that if we do indeed accomplish a three-peat, then we will have been 1 second (aided by a pick play) away from a 5-peat!

Also think about this: For the past 9 years you could have gone to Vegas and laid money on Bama vs. "the field" and you'd have won more times that you would have lost.

GHoppr

Suspended
Oct 18, 2017
Madison, AL.
We're a few plays here and there of having the last 7 straight NCs.

11: National Champs
12: National Champs
13: Hosed by the barn and their illegal man downfield (when just ONE first down would've sealed it), Would've beaten FSU.
14: Allowed a 3rd string QB to thwart us after leading 21-6. Would've beaten Oregon.
15: National Champs
16: Hosed by not one, but two illegal pick plays.
17: National Champs

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
We're a few plays here and there of having the last 7 straight NCs.

13: Hosed by the barn and their illegal man downfield (when just ONE first down would've sealed it), Would've beaten FSU.
14: Allowed a 3rd string QB to thwart us after leading 21-6. Would've beaten Oregon.
I already knew this but every time I see it listed out this way it still hits me. It's pretty incredible.

GHoppr

Suspended
Oct 18, 2017
Madison, AL.
I already knew this but every time I see it listed out this way it still hits me. It's pretty incredible.
Heck, we could go back further...

09: National Champs
10: Got complacent after the previous year's championship.

Even MORE incredible...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.