News Article: Think switching from QB to WR is easy? Ask someone who’s done it.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I agree, but for certain players who want to play in the NFL more than they want to remain a QB, I would commend Antwan Randle El. He was not going to play QB in the NFL, but h had a good run as a receiver.
The counter argument is Tim Tebow. He could be playing in the NFL, but he decided it would only be as a QB. So he is calling SEC games now. That ain't a bad gig (heck, I'd take it), but he could be playing in the NFL (which is probably never going to happen for me, unless the best 200 million athletes in America pass away suddenly).

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I agree, but for certain players who want to play in the NFL more than they want to remain a QB, I would commend Antwan Randle El. He was not going to play QB in the NFL, but h had a good run as a receiver.
The counter argument is Tim Tebow. He could be playing in the NFL, but he decided it would only be as a QB. So he is calling SEC games now. That ain't a bad gig (heck, I'd take it), but he could be playing in the NFL (which is probably never going to happen for me, unless the best 200 million athletes in America pass away suddenly).
the article also points out that if you're going to switch positions, it's best to do it in college.

that's exactly what everyone is saying about Jalen...switch now and have a couple of years to learn the new role at the highest level of college football.

he has the physical talent to play a bunch of positions...but does he want to change positions...and does the staff want him to do that?

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
We all know of examples, for sure, but I do see how the mindset and skillset varies greatly between the two positions. Reading a defense is likely a big advantage for these guys, if they possess the route running skillset to take advantage of what they see. I had not given any thought to the way they break(being shifty) being any different from the way they would as a QB or RB. Good read. Thanks!

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Hines Ward comes to mind as well, since we're talking about a player with the Steelers. I think Ward made a very smart career move with changing positions. LOL!

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Hines Ward comes to mind as well, since we're talking about a player with the Steelers. I think Ward made a very smart career move with changing positions. LOL!
ward had a terrific career with the Steelers and he's beloved by their fans.

i just looked at his stats and he's borderline (and maybe even closer) to a HOF career.

1000 receptions, 12,000 + yards, 85 touchdowns, 4x pro bowler, 2x super bowl champ, SB MVP.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
ward had a terrific career with the Steelers and he's beloved by their fans.

i just looked at his stats and he's borderline (and maybe even closer) to a HOF career.

1000 receptions, 12,000 + yards, 85 touchdowns, 4x pro bowler, 2x super bowl champ, SB MVP.
If you include his cheap shots he's a shoe in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
This ^^^

FWIW, the article linked above is well taken regarding athleticism and skill sets (but full of bull.... "stuff" regarding the claims of racism). That said, when has ANYONE suggested that its "easy" to play WR in the NFL???

If it was easy, WR would be the lowest paid position in the league, because every sprinter on every college track team would try to play WR.....

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
This ^^^

FWIW, the article linked above is well taken regarding athleticism and skill sets (but full of bull.... "stuff" regarding the claims of racism). That said, when has ANYONE suggested that its "easy" to play WR in the NFL???

If it was easy, WR would be the lowest paid position in the league, because every sprinter on every college track team would try to play WR.....
I remember when Renaldo "Skeets" Nehemiah gave it a try. He didn't do too well in the NFL.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Didn't LSU have a kid named Shirone Carey (I think that was his name) who was a speed burner on the track team that gave the NFL a go after college and fizzled out?
I never heard of him. About the only thing I remember about skeets is when he was knocked out when he went over the middle one time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Former Ark QB and personal nightmare to me Matt Jones played several years in the NFL for the Jags at WR.
Saw a short segment on him the other day on NFL Network. Many NFL people who saw him play and workout at the combine say he was one of the best pure athletes they'd ever seen. Personal demons (drugs) ruined his career.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.