Football Brand Rankings

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
For you guys into statistics and branding this is worth the review.

http://picksixpreviews.com/how_to_win_in_recruiting.html
I don't know if I've ever seen a more worthless list. It's laughable.

To think that Bama's brand is 18th in the country behind Penn St, UGA, UCLA, Wisconsin, LSU, FSU, et al. renders this list completely bogus. One wonders how they determined their rankings. But however they did it, it is very wrong. How does Bama have a top recruiting class each year ? Anyway, no one with an ounce of common sense would buy this ranking. Likely, only a few diehards have heard of it.

But of course, your purpose in posting this was to put Bama in as poor of a light as possible. See BIGTide for opposing team's fan's posting wisdom and etiquette.

Last edited:

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Its obvious this "data" has many flaws. However, I would agree Bama is most likely not the first choice of many recruits. This could be for a number of reasons.

-They have never been to the campus and only know what they have been told from others. How many times have we heard a kid say they were blown away when they came to campus and it was nothing like they expected.

-They know at Bama you will not be given anything. No entitlement. Many recruits dont want to work for a spot on the field. They think they should be given one so they rule out Bama. This is fine, we dont want that kind of recruit anyway.

-Bama is not known for being a top "party" school. Something many recruits want.

-Enormous amounts of poor mouthing by other programs and coaches trying to knock Bama down.

There are obviously other examples of why they may not have listed Bama #1.

If this is a true Brand recognition study then the results would be drastically different. They took a poll but the question and manner in which it was done was flawed from the start and the findings were misinterpreted to mean something we all know they dont.

Nice try but it was a major FAIL. Some schools will try to use to help recruiting but the NCs and the draft success makes the whole discussion null and void.

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I have learned to ask one question before I read, listen or watch any thing, whether medical, sports, political, religious or whatnot. WHAT IS THE AGENDA of the people doing the study, poll or categories? Everyone has an agenda and even a few people have THE TRUTH as their agenda. Those are a very few.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
This seemed to me to be totally worthless. How can any person quantify how much recruits value a program? I'm not impressed with this and I feel like someone wasted a lot of time for a false hypothesis.

mulletover

All-SEC
Dec 1, 2009
Cullman Alabama
"Stadium size, program prestige, coach prestige, coach persona, location, media exposure, fan sentiment, playing style, and academics are only a handful of the endless factors that play a role in an athlete’s decision. The net sum of all these influences becomes the program’s brand..."

So Penn State at 3 Bama at 19?

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I don't know if I've ever seen a more worthless list. It's laughable.

To think that Bama's brand is 18th in the country behind Penn St, UGA, UCLA, Wisconsin, LSU, FSU, et al. renders this list completely bogus. One wonders how they determined their rankings. But however they did it, it is very wrong. How does Bama have a top recruiting class each year ? Anyway, no one with an ounce of common sense would buy this ranking. Likely, only a few diehards have heard of it.

But of course, your purpose in posting this was to put Bama in as poor of a light as possible. See BIGTide for opposing team's fan's posting wisdom and etiquette.
The caveat is where those 100 kids that were polled are located AND if the results were doctored...

I wonder who conducted the poll and what teams those pollsters are fans of.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Well, let`s see. How does a #19 brand ranking square with where Alabama`s last recruiting class rankings have stood over the past, what, 10 years? End of story, IMHO, as to the worth of this "ranking".

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I have learned to ask one question before I read, listen or watch any thing, whether medical, sports, political, religious or whatnot. WHAT IS THE AGENDA of the people doing the study, poll or categories? Everyone has an agenda and even a few people have THE TRUTH as their agenda. Those are a very few.
This times 100...

The barn spends a ton of money (NTYF) on propanda such as this...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'll chime in with everyone else and say this is so stupid.

This would be about like us finding a ranking of basketball schools that had us near the top and Kentucky being rating 19 and us sharing it on a Kentucky board. Think Kentucky, a blue blood in basketball, would think it's evidence Bama b-ball is really better than them???

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
I don't see how it gets much better than it is in Tuscaloosa. The programs, facilities, coaching, tradition, etc. It's obviously a flawed brand ranking, either out of ignorance or bias.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.