More Drama in Knoxville - Chancellor Gets Canned

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Sounds like she's going back as part of the faculty, if I read that termination letter right.

How in the world does someone like that get hired for such a position?

Of that's right....were talking 10RC.....:biggrin2:
Ask the barn how this works.....They're paying a legion of former coaches not to work there any more.

However, the irony in Knoxville is particularly sweet. She was fired for a litany of communication breakdowns, but is getting nearly $10,000 a week / $2,000 a working day / $250 per working hour, in a tenured (read: guaranteed, non-fireable) position, to teach in the School of Communication.

Karma is indeed a rabid female dog in heat.

CrimsonPride

1st Team
Dec 9, 2001
Chattanooga, TN
This seems so unnecessary. Why was the letter released so quickly? It comes off like he is vindictive and wanted to embarrass her. Her performance review was probably worse than this.

Let me see if I have this right. She must have communicated well enough to impress the President and the BOT to hire her. But all of a sudden, she cannot communicate, especially orally. Then, you turn around and make her a tenured professor in the School of Communication. You can't make this stuff up.

Last edited:

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
This seems so unnecessary. Why was the letter release so quickly. It comes off like he is vindictive and wanted to embarrass her. Her performance review was probably worse than this.

Let me see if I have this right. She must have communicated well enough to impress the President and the BOT to hire her. But all of a sudden, she cannot communicate, especially orally. Then, you turn around and make her a tenured professor in the School of Communication. You can't make this stuff up.
^^^^THIS! These Tennessee folks are clownage cubed. How can you write, let alone, release such a STUPID letter. Unless she's half as bad as they claim, she should sue for all she can get. They'll pay her off soon to shut it up or pay her off later after they lose everything and they lie in the burned wreckage of their University system.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
I'm going out on a limb and saying she likely has grounds for a defamation suit. As this letter reads like a highly misogynistic act. There's simply no reason to excoriate someone like that publicly, unless you mean to do them long lasting harm, or they have done significant harm to you (which I don't see). If I were her, I'd lawyer up and come after them like a freight train.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
This seems so unnecessary. Why was the letter release so quickly. It comes off like he is vindictive and wanted to embarrass her. Her performance review was probably worse than this.

A true irony would have been if they had FAXED this letter to her......

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I'm going out on a limb and saying she likely has grounds for a defamation suit. As this letter reads like a highly misogynistic act. There's simply no reason to excoriate someone like that publicly, unless you mean to do them long lasting harm, or they have done significant harm to you (which I don't see). If I were her, I'd lawyer up and come after them like a freight train.
Mods, please rebuke me if this starts to trend into NS territory. I just don't see where there is any indication of misogyny in this letter. It is a harsh letter of release delivered to a female chancellor. Other than her being a woman, I don't know how this could be construed as misogyny.

The letter skewered her for her lack of communication skills, her refusal to follow instructions given to her by the President, and her inability to work well with others. Those are issues that any employee could have. Just because it is public and it is harsh doesn't automatically make it misogynistic.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
Having failed to communicate a strategic direction, failed to communicate with the Board, failed to communicate effectively with individuals and small groups etc etc, they fire her from her position of Chancellor back to Professor of Communication Studies.

And she's still making $433k.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
This whole deal has so much FAIL written all over it from virtually any way you look at it.

First and foremost, the man writing (and I suppose releasing) this letter is the SAME man who HIRED her, less than two years ago!! IF I was (God Forbid) a member of the UcheaT Board of Trustees (or even an elected politician in the State of TN), this whole mess would raise SERIOUS QUESTIONS in my mind about DiPietro's leadership, his judgment (or lack thereof) and ultimately his fitness to serve as President of a University System.

As for the letter itself - What on EARTH does the UcheaT system gain by releasing a letter like that????
Does it enhance their status in the eyes of prospective replacements??? Who on earth would want to take a job where they risked being so publicly HUMILIATED???
Does it make the University System seem stable or well manged? Hardly! I can't imagine such a letter being publicly released by any Fortune 100 company. Can you?
Does it make DiPietro seem like a good boss? Uh.... if anything it makes him appear to be a vindictive jerk!

DOES IT OPEN THE DOOR TO A LAWSUIT? IMO, the answer is - Probably YES.

MIND YOU, I'm NOT saying that Davenport has actually suffered real discrimination - I have no idea. But I do know that a letter like this is sufficiently inflamatory and derogatory that it will surely impair her ability to seek a similar position in the future, and (IMO) there's no question BUT that the public release of the letter was intended to inflict emotional distress and humiliation. Really, there's no other possible reason to release such a letter.

Frankly, this whole deal makes UcheaT look like even MORE of a Dumpster fire than we thought it was. Honestly, I'll laugh HYSTERICALLY if Davenport does "Lawyer up" and file suit. Even if she was the worst University "Chancellor" in the history of Universities, UcheaT gains NOTHING by making a public spectacle of her firing. And they only come off looking petty and mean-spirited.

Sure hope Pruitt has a SWEET buyout.......

Last edited:

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
This whole deal has so much FAIL written all over it from virtually any way you look at it.

First and foremost, the man writing (and I suppose releasing) this letter is the SAME man who HIRED her, less than two years ago!! IF I was (God Forbid) a member of the UcheaT Board of Trustees (or even an elected politician in the State of TN), this whole mess would raise SERIOUS QUESTIONS in my mind about DiPietro's leadership, his judgment (or lack thereof) and ultimately his fitness to serve as President of a University System.

As for the letter itself - What on EARTH does the UcheaT system gain by releasing a letter like that????
Does it enhance their status in the eyes of prospective replacements??? Who on earth would want to take a job where they risked being so publicly HUMILIATED???
Does it make the University System seem stable or well manged? Hardly! I can't imagine such a letter being publicly released by any Fortune 100 company. Can you?
Does it make DiPietro seem like a good boss? Uh.... if anything it makes him appear to be a vindictive jerk!

DOES IT OPEN THE DOOR TO A LAWSUIT? IMO, the answer is - Probably YES.

MIND YOU, I'm NOT saying that Davenport has actually suffered real discrimination - I have no idea. But I do know that a letter like this is sufficiently inflamatory and derogatory that it will surely impair her ability to seek a similar position in the future, and (IMO) there's no question BUT that the public release of the letter was intended to inflict emotional distress and humiliation. Really, there's no other possible reason to release such a letter.

Frankly, this whole deal makes UcheaT look like even MORE of a Dumpster fire than we thought it was. Honestly, I'll laugh HYSTERICALLY if Davenport does "Lawyer up" and file suit. Even if she was the worst University "Chancellor" in the history of Universities, UcheaT gains NOTHING by making a public spectacle of her firing. And they only come off looking petty and mean-spirited.

Sure hope Pruitt has a SWEET buyout.......
I agree with everything except the part in bold. But, only because it would be impossible for them to look like MORE of a dumpster fire than they already did. This episode is just another grain of sand on the beach.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Higher education generally works that way. The Deposed are given the face-saving option of returning to a faculty position, from which they are expected to blast off at the earliest possible date.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Higher education generally works that way. The Deposed are given the face-saving option of returning to a faculty position, from which they are expected to blast off at the earliest possible date.
Indeed, one of the perks those get who teach our young people the RIGHT WAY to do things. Talk about irony and I have noticed this many times about the educational system. Here in Boaz we have rules ONLY for children and parents but those who teach them.

Last edited by a moderator:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I thought that publishing the termination letter was a lot of bad things: stupid, pointless, classless, short-sighted, possible exposure to a big-$$$$ lawsuit. Just par for the course for UT for the past 10-15 years.

Misogynistic? No. Didn't see that. Just 'cause you're hating on a woman doesn't mean you hate all women any more than praising a man means you love all men.

Actually, I think that word is so over-used on today's PC environment that it's ceased to mean anything other than the accused misogynist had a disagreement with a woman. I guess all of us married men are therefore misogynists.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.