Question: Recruiting: What changed for 2019 vs. 2018?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Re: Recruiting: What changed for 2018 vs. 2017?

The new hires have suggested Saban be quicker when pulling the trigger and offering a guy. This probably pushes the evaluation period up 6 months earlier than Alabama has previously done, but it will pay off in the end.
I find that really interesting because it's happening at the same time comments like this are being made

Phil Savage explains why so many of Alabama's 5-star recruits get drafted in first round

"It's evaluation, then it's development, and then they play schemes that are easily transferable for the NFL scouts to walk out of that building or off that practice field and see those players doing things that they will be required to do at the NFL level," Savage said on Thursday. "Those are really the three reasons why they have had so much success in the draft."Savage, a Crimson Tide radio analyst, explained that college football is 10 percent evaluation and 90 recruiting, while the NFL is 90 percent evaluation and 10 percent recruiting.
At Alabama, it is different.
"Alabama has at least a 50-50 split," he said. "They truly evaluate these guys. They don't just go off some list or magazine and say, 'Oh, we got another 5-star.'"
Is pushing the time table going to impact our ability to evaluate? or is it just changing the timing/process slightly?

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I find that really interesting because it's happening at the same time comments like this are being made

Phil Savage explains why so many of Alabama's 5-star recruits get drafted in first round

Is pushing the time table going to impact our ability to evaluate? or is it just changing the timing/process slightly?
Phil discusses the evaluation process in his book. It's not just evaluating tape. Saban goes beyond that, but some of the things Saban evaluates don't take a long time. The time table is pushed up some, but it's not just the coaching staff watching a player's tape over and over again to decide if he's a good fit or not. It's the simple evaluation of looking at a guy in camp and seeing how flexible he is or if his bone structure looks right or not.

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012

The new hires have suggested Saban be quicker when pulling the trigger and offering a guy. This probably pushes the evaluation period up 6 months earlier than Alabama has previously done, but it will pay off in the end.
I don't follow recruiting like most of you guys who post on here but it seemed like last year's class was the slowest building class since Saban has been at Bama. I kept reading that we were going to be very picky last year and get the elite of the elite. I guess the consensus is that may not have been the best idea. Still, I'll take the best coach in college football with a top 5 class against the field every time.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

I don't follow recruiting like most of you guys who post on here but it seemed like last year's class was the slowest building class since Saban has been at Bama. I kept reading that we were going to be very picky last year and get the elite of the elite. I guess the consensus is that may not have been the best idea. Still, I'll take the best coach in college football with a top 5 class against the field every time.
I think several of the assistant coaches knew they were leaving before the season ended and therefore didn't approach the recruiting process with the same vigor as required to recruit to bama standards.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

UAllday

3rd Team
Jan 17, 2018

Something else interesting I heard was that the new coaches are excited to be a part of"The Dynasty" so much so that the kids can tell their excitement and it runs off on them. That has got to be a big difference. I have also noticed UA working extremely hard to point out CNS lighter, more youthful side. They used the draft really well and the players drafted , along with these "about to be illegal" stats they(media)
are digging up. And honestly the stats continue to get more and more impressive every year.

Last edited:

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

Phil discusses the evaluation process in his book. It's not just evaluating tape. Saban goes beyond that, but some of the things Saban evaluates don't take a long time. The time table is pushed up some, but it's not just the coaching staff watching a player's tape over and over again to decide if he's a good fit or not. It's the simple evaluation of looking at a guy in camp and seeing how flexible he is or if his bone structure looks right or not.
I know there is a thread on Phil Savage's book, but it is a must read for Alabama fans and even fans of other teams that have ex Alabama coaches. You can find a lot out about the recruiting and evaluation process in it.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

I checked out the 24/7 Best Recruiter for 2017 and this is what I found:

2. Tosh Lupoi - 5 commits
3. Brent Key - 6
14. Joe Pannunizo- 2
51. Craig Kuligowki- 3
61. Dan Enos- 2
66. Josh Gattis
79. Mike Locksley- 1
103. Karl Scott-2

Jeff Bank and Pete Golding aren't listed in recruiting ranker by 24/7.

This is going to be interesting to see how Golding does with his recruiting this year.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

Recruiting is like selling -- if you rest on your laurels then you are in trouble. However, it is hard to do it year after year after year...that is the miracle that is CNS. Somehow he finds the inner motivation to keep going when others would fall by the wayside.

I noticed on Twitter that Bobby Williams announced he was in Birmingham to do some recruiting for Oregon. Very interesting....

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Recruiting is like selling -- if you rest on your laurels then you are in trouble. However, it is hard to do it year after year after year...that is the miracle that is CNS. Somehow he finds the inner motivation to keep going when others would fall by the wayside.

I noticed on Twitter that Bobby Williams announced he was in Birmingham to do some recruiting for Oregon. Very interesting....
I saw that.... That was interesting....

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa
The biggest change is the coaches involved have more energy and all coaches on this staff know recruiting is at a premium. Key put in the work to get to this class which is paying off enormously. Another thing is the lack of instate talent in previous year.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

I really wonder if CNS is trying to lock the class down by the early signing date. Could it be, " Don't commit unless you're willing to sign in D

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
I really wonder if CNS is trying to lock the class down by the early signing date. Could it be, " Don't commit unless you're willing to sign in D
I have heard this from multiple sources who would know. The staff has communicated to many recruits that if you dont sign in Dec we will start looking elsewhere as well. They want to seal the deals early.

ShoalCreek

Suspended
Feb 28, 2018

Several comments. Nick looks at 30 tapes EVERY day of prospective student-athletes, 365 days a year. Last year we were complacent in recruiting and had a few coaches that lost a step or two when making contact with recruits on/off-the-road. Also follow-up tweets, emails and recruiting correspondence was not as expeditiously accomplished as in the past. As such, new blood has revitalized the coaching, support, personnel and administrative staffers. Finally, a few more commit-able offers are awarded with the new early signing date.

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa

Several comments. Nick looks at 30 tapes EVERY day of prospective student-athletes, 365 days a year. Last year we were complacent in recruiting and had a few coaches that lost a step or two when making contact with recruits on/off-the-road. Also follow-up tweets, emails and recruiting correspondence was not as expeditiously accomplished as in the past. As such, new blood has revitalized the coaching, support, personnel and administrative staffers. Finally, a few more commit-able offers are awarded with the new early signing date.
certain coaches not all.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.