Question: Recruiting: What changed for 2019 vs. 2018?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Recruiting is obviously going well....a ton better than this time last year.

So for folks who are more plugged in than me: What's changed? Or maybe, why was 2017 an off year (I know, calling a Top 10 year "off" shows how spoiled I am).

Several #1 classes in a row. A one-year relative slump, followed by a resurgence, including building momentum.

Anybody know why?

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
Re: Recruiting: What changed for 2018 vs. 2017?

Recruiting is obviously going well....a ton better than this time last year.

So for folks who are more plugged in than me: What's changed? Or maybe, why was 2017 an off year (I know, calling a Top 10 year "off" shows how spoiled I am).

Several #1 classes in a row. A one-year relative slump, followed by a resurgence, including building momentum.

Anybody know why?
Multifactorial, but a change in personnel to coaches with more interest in recruiting has been discussed.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

Multifactorial, but a change in personnel to coaches with more interest in recruiting has been discussed.
Certainly a factor, plus the reduced numbers last year. I think negative recruiting may have begun to ramp up last year as well, particularly in the case of former assistants who are now HC`s. Something of a perfect storm. Still, with all that, a top 10 class.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Saban had a meeting with each new coach to find out what areas in recruiting each felt needed addressing. One consensus was offer early and don't be slow because of evaluations.

The age of the new coaches is playing a big role, too. These guys are young and energetic.

Oh, and Kirby doesn't have a picture of the recruiting board. ;)

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL

Also contributing is the practice of coaches finding players they can convince to lie about their intention to sign with Bama. Then at the last moment the player signs with the bobo school. Not a new idea, but more obvious in 2017. With this ignoble success, expect lemming coaches to flock to this strategy now in another effort to disrupt Bama’s signing day.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Something else to consider is the in-state talent. Last year, Alabama had 11 players listed as 4*s by the 247composite. So far in the 2019 class, Alabama has 14 players with some more possibilities. Saw a stat a few weeks back about the number of players in the state with FBS offers; the expectation is for there to be over 100 recruits in the state with FBS offers this year. Last year, there weren't nearly that many.

DJ Dale's commitment gives Alabama six in-state players for 2019. Alabama signed two local guys in 2018, and one of them was expected to count toward the 2019 class if NSD went the way the staff hoped.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn

Oh, and Kirby doesn't have a picture of the recruiting board. ;)[/QUOTE]

I see what you did there!

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

The new early signing period is also playing/played a factor as well. CNS talked last season on how it affected recruiting and how the staff was playing catch-up to adjust.

HITIDE

1st Team
Jul 6, 2003
TRINITY, AL., USA

All the things been mentioned are contributing factors but having all coaches in place.....knowing who will be here the next few years is very big. Most of them being young, energetic and hungry is also big.
Adjusting to early signing period and young coaches taking to Social Media.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005

I agree with everything everyone else said. :)

Rtr

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

Saban had a meeting with each new coach to find out what areas in recruiting each felt needed addressing. One consensus was offer early and don't be slow because of evaluations.

The age of the new coaches is playing a big role, too. These guys are young and energetic.

Oh, and Kirby doesn't have a picture of the recruiting board. ;)
IMO one of the keys to the success has been superb evaluations. CNS will always place a value on it I`m sure. What will likely change is the pace and perhaps how they`ll evaluate.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

IMO one of the keys to the success has been superb evaluations. CNS will always place a value on it I`m sure. What will likely change is the pace and perhaps how they`ll evaluate.
That's true to an extent, but Alabama has slow-played guys that are ready to commit over the years while evaluating other recruits with the thought coming after the guys that were ready to commit a few months prior will work because we're Alabama.

Doesn't always work. Some guys find it arrogant and push away.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu

From my perspective it’s a lot of things, most have been mentioned already.

Younger coaches that are more relatable, a greater social media presence, offering and accepting early commitments, and one thing that’s perhaps underrated: recruits understand that CNS isn’t going anywhere, anytime soon.

Plus, the “we put you in the NFL” cred is insanely strong right now.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Alabama had one "bad" year in recruiting and is back to getting the job done like no other school. So the question, if one needs to be asked, is "what happened last year"?

IMO, Alabama recruiting is the same as it has been since Saban arrived. Some parts change from one year to the next, but kids love this program and want to play here.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

That's true to an extent, but Alabama has slow-played guys that are ready to commit over the years while evaluating other recruits with the thought coming after the guys that were ready to commit a few months prior will work because we're Alabama.

Doesn't always work. Some guys find it arrogant and push away.
Thanks RTR, good points as usual. So, are you saying that there may be/should be less " slow-playing " ?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Seems like I read that with our smaller numbers in last year's class we were being a little more selective on who we offered.

So being a smaller class worked against us and then we lost some guys we expected to sign and with our coaching turnover I think we just got a little unlucky last year.

I know we recruit to needs, but it seems like a lot of the years we just go after the best athletes and just try to get them on campus. It's why we often hear of receivers becoming dbs and dbs becoming safeties.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Thanks RTR, good points as usual. So, are you saying that there may be/should be less " slow-playing " ?
The new hires have suggested Saban be quicker when pulling the trigger and offering a guy. This probably pushes the evaluation period up 6 months earlier than Alabama has previously done, but it will pay off in the end.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.