What is the party platform for the Democratic Party nowadays? - Page 13
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3678910111213
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar

Re: What is the party platform for the Democratic Party nowadays?

For some much-needed context, NY's criminal code hadn't been updated since the 1970. While abortion was legal, it remained a felony for practitioners to perform an abortion after 24 weeks for any reason other than the life of the mother being in jeopardy. After this law, practitioners can perform an abortion after 24 weeks if the health of the mother is at stake OR the fetus is not viable. That's all.

BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sabanball View Post
    Well the next time you and yours start crying about "children locked in cages" or "children shot up in classrooms" just pretend like it was womb...

Yeah, it doesn't add up.

BamaNation All-American sabanball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CharminTide View Post
    For some much-needed context, NY's criminal code hadn't been updated since the 1970. While abortion was legal, it remained a felony for practitioners to perform an abortion after 24 weeks for any reason other than the life of the mother being in jeopardy. After this law, practitioners can perform an abortion after 24 weeks if the health of the mother is at stake OR the fetus is not viable. That's all.
    Nothing was taken out of context if you read both articles. The bolded part of your response was defined in the Roe companion case Doe v. Bolton as “all factors — physical, emotional, psychological, familial, and the woman’s age — relevant to the wellbeing of the patient.”

BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar

Yeah but some writer's opinions on right wing sites say that it allows women to get abortions on demand right up until birth.

what? anti-abortion folks are making duplicitous arguments? i am shocked
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.

— Thomas Pynchon

Quote Originally Posted by sabanball View Post
    Nothing was taken out of context if you read both articles. The bolded part of your response was defined in the Roe companion case Doe v. Bolton as “all factors — physical, emotional, psychological, familial, and the woman’s age — relevant to the wellbeing of the patient.”
    Yes, I did see that particular piece of fearmongering. In the reality where we all live, no hospital is going to perform an abortion at 40 weeks just because the mother claims emotional stress, but do carry on.

Again, in reality, pregnant women in NY were having to travel to other states for an abortion once they found out their fetus was missing half its brain at 6 months gestation. This was happening because performing an abortion at that point was a felony in the state of NY. Now it isn't, and that's a very positive change for women in this situation.

He's good.

I mean part of it, I think is coming from the industrial Midwest and just a different way of talking. Part of it is the vocabulary you’re used to having when when you’re a mayor and you’ve got to make sure you take the most complex things and have a way of rendering them in plain English. But also just a generation, I think, that watched the way that conservatives absolutely dominated American politics to the point where even Democratic presidents were doing basically conservative things because they understood the need to fight at the level of values and win a values and ideas argument. And on our side of the aisle, as much as we like to think of ourselves as the intellectual party, the truth is I think our policies were less connected to our values and our philosophies than theirs were. We developed a vocabulary of policy. We explained who we were and candidates and races kind of fought to impress each other through a policy arms race without ever really engaging on the values issue. And that’s how I think we lost the debate over freedom and what freedom means in this country, you know, to the point that I think that for years it was viewed as kind of pro-freedom to be anti-government as though freedom from government was the only one that mattered. When you know in my life, you know, my freedom was enhanced by a lot of things that happened in the Obama administration that were the consequences of good policy. I’m freer because of the freedom to marry and if you take it back over a 50-year period, my family experienced a lot of freedom because Medicare exists. And when my parents were having health issues we were free to think about what was right for them medically, not who’s going to pay for it. So big arguments like that that we just for some reason sort of stopped having sometime in the 90s when we figured that the way to win was to just check on their policies and see if our policies could be halfway there versus thinking about how our policies linked up to our core values and what we believed in.

Pod Save America: Pete Buttigieg on freedom and farting cows