What is the party platform for the Democratic Party nowadays?

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
FWIW:

Democrats’ newest midterm pitch: A crackdown on corruption

Democrats are preparing to highlight allegations of corruption surrounding the Trump administration — and a legislative agenda to prevent future abuses — as they continue rolling out their party platform ahead of November’s midterm elections.

The first planks of the “A Better Deal” platform, released last year, focused on the party’s economic agenda. Now, with questions about pay-to-play politics swirling around President Trump and his current and former aides, Democrats are set to introduce anti-corruption proposals Monday billed as “A Better Deal for Our Democracy.”

According to a senior Democratic official familiar with the announcement, the new agenda will include proposals that would eliminate loopholes that allow lobbyists and lawmakers to buy and sell influence without the public’s knowledge. The message: Elect Democrats in November to “clean up the chaos and corruption in Washington.”

One proposal — which would tighten the federal laws governing lobbying disclosures and foreign-agent registration — responds to the apparent sale of influence by Michael Cohen, Trump’s former personal lawyer. According to recently disclosed financial records, Cohen earned millions of dollars from companies that wanted to secure access to Trump’s inner circle in the early days after his 2016 win.

Democrats are also preparing to highlight an apparent atmosphere of rule-bending, if not rule-breaking, in the Trump administration. Several Trump Cabinet members — including Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Scott Pruitt, Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke, Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson, as well as former Health and Human Services secretary Tom Price and former Veterans Affairs secretary David Shulkin — have been subject to official investigations of questionable spending on travel and other expenses.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
first i have to figure out if hillary was a neo-liberal shill, or a lefty extremist.
I don't believe she was either. I believe she is just a run-of-the-mill politician who had dreams of making history and lining her pockets. I believe she was someone who would change direction in a NY Minute if it bettered her personally.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
The thing is the progressive candidates only won a few victories (granted a few big victories). For comparison, it's not on the level of the Tea Party yet.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
I'm glad to see that extremism on the left is moving to the forefront.....it's about time.
I'm interested in seeing how all this plays out. The NY-14 primary was a perfect storm: A powerful incumbent cut down in large part to his Wall Street ties. But it was a highly Democratic district to begin with (and gerrymandered districts also breed extremism). While I'm not sure that the democrats need to move farther left across the board, distancing themselves from Wall Street trikes me as a must if they hope to reach out to disaffected moderates. At the same time, raising sufficient money without Wall Street is problematic in this Citizens United dystopia.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I don't believe she was either. I believe she is just a run-of-the-mill politician who had dreams of making history and lining her pockets. I believe she was someone who would change direction in a NY Minute if it bettered her personally.
If she had fallen in love with a politically ambitious conservative, do you think would be president now as a Republican?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I'm interested in seeing how all this plays out. The NY-14 primary was a perfect storm: A powerful incumbent cut down in large part to his Wall Street ties. But it was a highly Democratic district to begin with (and gerrymandered districts also breed extremism). While I'm not sure that the democrats need to move farther left across the board, distancing themselves from Wall Street trikes me as a must if they hope to reach out to disaffected moderates. At the same time, raising sufficient money without Wall Street is problematic in this Citizens United dystopia.
I actually think the anti-Wall Street message will resonate across the aisle, especially if the economy starts tanking before 2020. The issue is that Ye Olde Democrats and Republicans have both been drinking from that trough for decades, and young blood is needed to change it. For that reason alone, I’m heartened by her victory.

Money will be an issue, but she was outspent something like 18:1. So there’s a chance.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
It also has to be said that the 2 big progressive wins (Ben Jealous and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez) have in common besides being progressives. Basically, it MAY be easier to run as a progressive if you aren't a white male.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Well, she was a Goldwater Girl, right?
I think that was the product of growing up in a conservative home. She was only 17 in 1964.

Her Wikipedia article says she was in the Young Republicans in college and supported Nelson Rockefeller in 1968 and even went to the Republican convention that year. But she left the party from what she saw as a racist campaign by Nixon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
About 1 month out now from the mid-terms......

If you are a Democrat, you must be feeling pretty good about the Kavanaugh hearings getting folks stirred up.

I've heard the same about the Republican base.

So what is the message now from the Democratic party? Strategy?

Anything different heading into the final stretch here?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.