What is the party platform for the Democratic Party nowadays? - Page 5
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar

Re: What is the party platform for the Democratic Party nowadays?

Same as the GOP's. Divide, conquer, subjugate, make the rich, richer.

BamaNation Hall of Fame uafan4life's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Displaced Bama Fan View Post
    Same as the GOP's. Divide, conquer, subjugate, make the powerful, more powerful - at the expense of the average American citizen.
    FIFY.
    I have yet to figure out why common sense and common courtesy are called common.
    - Unknown

Tradition is always under construction.
    - Nick Saban

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    When the DNC and/or the GOP nominate a broadly intelligent, rational, serious adult to be president I will vote for that person.

It's been more than 25 years since I've voted for either major party.
    The only candidate I ever voted "for" was Daddy Bush in 1988.

Every other election since then has been "against X." Every. Damned. One.

Sometimes against BOTH X's.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaJama17's Avatar

Something something something dark side.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Displaced Bama Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    The only candidate I ever voted "for" was Daddy Bush in 1988.

Every other election since then has been "against X." Every. Damned. One.

Sometimes against BOTH X's.
    Yep...

BamaNation Hall of Fame AlexanderFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aledinho View Post
    But they didn't. Obama had more favorable coverage than other Presidents. Chicago Tribune
    Nobody wants to be labeled a racist, duh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

Quote Originally Posted by Aledinho View Post
    But they didn't. Obama had more favorable coverage than other Presidents. Chicago Tribune
    Obama DID have more favorable coverage than other Presidents. That's true.

On the other hand, he also had more sense than to act like a child on Twitter every single day of the year, too.

The political reporters who are actually honest (the late Jack Germond noted this) will admit the trouble from his time frame in covering a black candidate - Jesse Jackson being the most notable example. Reporters let all kinds of stuff Jackson said (particularly statistics wise) pass based on the simple notion of "well, he isn't going to be the nominee anyway so there's no need in antagonizing your black readers who voted for him by telling the truth."

Sadly, this sort of happened with Trump. The media found him entertaining and never called his nonsense in the early primaries. The moment he won the nomination, they assumed he'd get waxed in the general election, but they went almost overboard trying to find stuff. I don't mind this - I think a diligent press corps is a foundational necessity of a free society - problem is they play up the wrong stuff.

Think about this: the Russia story broke just two hours before the infamous audiotape. Whatever one's view of a candidate, we'd all agree colluding with a foreign power is FAR more egregious than his use of the P word.

Guess which was the bigger story?
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    Obama DID have more favorable coverage than other Presidents. That's true.

On the other hand, he also had more sense than to act like a child on Twitter every single day of the year, too.

The political reporters who are actually honest (the late Jack Germond noted this) will admit the trouble from his time frame in covering a black candidate - Jesse Jackson being the most notable example. Reporters let all kinds of stuff Jackson said (particularly statistics wise) pass based on the simple notion of "well, he isn't going to be the nominee anyway so there's no need in antagonizing your black readers who voted for him by telling the truth."

Sadly, this sort of happened with Trump. The media found him entertaining and never called his nonsense in the early primaries. The moment he won the nomination, they assumed he'd get waxed in the general election, but they went almost overboard trying to find stuff. I don't mind this - I think a diligent press corps is a foundational necessity of a free society - problem is they play up the wrong stuff.

Think about this: the Russia story broke just two hours before the infamous audiotape. Whatever one's view of a candidate, we'd all agree colluding with a foreign power is FAR more egregious than his use of the P word.

Guess which was the bigger story?
    P Power?

BamaNation Second Team

Seems to be raise taxes and impeach Trump. Sounds like a good campaign. Hope they stick with it.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

"My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

I am thoroughly convinced that the politicians (and I include both parties in this for sure) who seek the White House live in an alternative reality that makes sense only to the completely insane. And I include the media in this as well.

I suspect there will be a literal clown car of Democrats just as we had last time for the GOP. There will be folks absolutely convinced that the only thing they have to do is get in a 50/50 election chance with Trump as the only alternative and they'll win without offering anything substantial. The GOP thought this about Hillary in 2016....it's part of how we got Trump.

In 1991, GHW Bush was the most unbeatable candidate since Jesus conquered death or so went the story. His poll numbers absolutely terrified the big guns on the D side - Cuomo, Bill Bradley, Jay Rockefeller, Al Gore, Dick Gephardt, Lloyd Bentsen - that they all came up with excuses as to why they weren't going to run. The Democratic race featured Bill Clinton, Tom Harkin, Bob Kerrey, Paul Tsongas, and Jerry Brown. ALL of them were considered second-tier candidates at best and basically fill-in names until Bush finished his second term in 1996.

Nixon, Reagan, Clinton....mid-term wipeouts and they were disasters who couldn't win again, right?

Bush 41 and LBJ couldn't possibly lose, either. Remember?

The truth almost seems always contrary to conventional wisdom (hence, Trump). The no-names heading to NH, well, that's fine, but do they have any actual proposals to make? Even HRC's own folks admitted that never at any time did she ever provide a coherent rationale for why she should be President. (Whether the slogan or proposal is ever actually adopted does not matter - that's AFTER the election). Dislike Trump all we want, but he's the one who repeated that slogan over and over just like Obama had two, "Yes We Can" and "Change We Can Believe In." (In the interest of fairness, HRC isn't the only losing candidate to do this. Ed Muskie couldn't explain it in 1972, Ted Kennedy imploded on that very question in 1980, and neither Bush in 88 when he won or 92 or Dole in 96 or Gore in 00 gave any coherence to their candidacies).

"At least I'm not Trump" is simply not going to win the election. On the other hand, the pilgrimage of no names does in a bizarre way give me at least a little bit of hope. Nobody outside the South in 1974 even knew who Jimmy Carter was. Clinton was known by political junkies but nobody else in 92.

I don't think Warren or Sanders can beat this guy, and I think Biden is too old as well. Their party really got held up by the Clintons in the sense that everyone else had to put their President plans on hold. It would not surprise me if the Democratic nominee is someone 90% of the country has not even heard of at this point.

That would not necessarily be a bad thing, either.

FB|BB Moderator

It's pretty easy:

Democrats: Trump is an idiot and a liar. Anybody who supports him is not only an idiot, but a racist, sexist homophobe. You don't want anyone to think that about you, do you? Didn't think so. Vote for us or we'll call you bad names.

Republicans: The Democrats want to tear down everything decent about the country, reducing everyone to being employees of the government. They'll set up homeless shelters in your back yard, fund gay orgies in park, and kill as many unborn babies as possible. Their cronies, the mainstream press, will gleefully post the numbers on the nightly news. You don't want that, do you? Didn't think so. Vote for us.

Seriously, neither side will present an affirmative case. Both will try to make the opposition and its followers out to be subhuman.

The saddest thing is, a significant portion of both bases truly believes that they are.
    Last edited by 4Q Basket Case; May 12th, 2018 at 04:06 PM.
    You can't reason a man out of a position he didn't reason himself into.

Bill (Selma) makes some great points above of why the Dems are apt to fail again.

I will also add that (it's my opinion subject to debate of course) they rely on the minority vote so much, they probably feel they don't need as many votes from the flyover culture - hence - no significant 'theme' to their campaigns.

The problem with this (as I see it) is the minorities are wising up little by little and saying the heck with party line voting - we're voting for who we think will help us the most - or help the country the most - or both in most cases.

I also feel that they do not have very strong candidates. The same of course can be said for the Republican Party (roll out the clown car(s)).

The bottom line for me is I would love to see higher voter turnout and may the best candidate win. For me, what matters most is not which party is in office but which candidate can produce a candidate that truly has the counrtry's interest at heart.

The fact that we are not seeing any message from the Democratic Party right now other than "Trump is bad - we need someone else." is disappointing - and is one of the reasons I started this thread.

I'm not nearly as politically savvy as many here so excuse my ignorance on this subject. I'm sure I am leaving some important stuff out.