What is the party platform for the Democratic Party nowadays?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Not surprising........Job Number One is to protect their party.

At some point, maybe they will "get around to" the Health Care issue, that is being reported as the Number One concern of Americans.

And the beat goes on......
they "got around" to healthcare in 2010 and they have been "getting around" to it the past two years keeping the republicans from trashing the entire system. it has been one of the main focuses of the party.

but i guess they haven't been putting out many public service announcements

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
As for the Government by the People Act, I don't like the possibility of my tax dollars funding campaigns of people I don't support though I am frustrated with the costs associated with political campaigns and how it forces decent candidates to get on board with political parties and big money. It would be interesting to see how many candidates would actually go this route.
I'm not entirely sold on this idea yet either, but it'd be progress to even see the conversation brought to the table.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
they "got around" to healthcare in 2010 and they have been "getting around" to it the past two years keeping the republicans from trashing the entire system. it has been one of the main focuses of the party.

but i guess they haven't been putting out many public service announcements
Methinks he's been buying Dear Leader's BS about the Dems wanting to strip away protections on pre-existing conditions while the GOP struggles ardently in their defense. :rolleyes:

Of course, the GOP has tried to repeal Obamacare, including protections on pre-existing conditions, over 70 times. When McCain shut that down last year, Republican AGs started pushing lawsuits through the courts and Trump's administration has refused to defend the law. The GOP has apparently decided that their policy positions are so very, very unpopular that it's preferable to straight up lie to the American electorate than to reveal their true policy agenda. It takes a special kind of fool to believe Trump on this, but here we are.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Methinks he's been buying Dear Leader's BS about the Dems wanting to strip away protections on pre-existing conditions while the GOP struggles ardently in their defense. :rolleyes:

Of course, the GOP has tried to repeal Obamacare, including protections on pre-existing conditions, over 70 times. When McCain shut that down last year, Republican AGs started pushing lawsuits through the courts and Trump's administration has refused to defend the law. The GOP has apparently decided that their policy positions are so very, very unpopular that it's preferable to straight up lie to the American electorate than to reveal their true policy agenda. It takes a special kind of fool to believe Trump on this, but here we are.
we've known they were easy marks for a while now

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
That's fine. It will help them win Senate seats in 2020 if the GOP is on-record as the pro-corruption party. And the Dems will have already written legislation that could be quickly passed.

1) The voter's choice is between (1) a party that says they want to reign in corruption, (2) a party that actively does not, and (3) abstention. Doesn't seem like much of a choice if this issue is important to you.

2) Pelosi has basically announced her retirement from the speakership (link). And if incumbent Dems make a promise and fail to follow-through, primary them. I heard the same pessimism around Obamacare and the insurmountable piles of health insurance money, but Dems did it, and a fair number of them did it knowing they would lose the next election as a result. I'm not nearly as cynical as some on this issue.
I'm old enough to remember when the Republicans said they were going to reign in corruption (2016). I saw through that and see through this. That said, there needs to be a counterweight to Trump.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
you are assuming he actually knows? or is the question rhetorical?
He seems to believe that ensuring equal voting rights/access and a platform aimed at reducing political corruption is not only undesirable, but specifically tailored to protect the Democratic party. Which would imply that systematic voter disenfranchisement and open corruption are both essential components of the current Republican party. Perhaps he hasn't made that connection yet.

On the healthcare absurdity: I just can't even. Today's GOP preys on people who refuse to research the basic facts upon which they build beliefs. If one thinks all media is dishonest and the only truth comes from the silver tongues of select politicians, they accept lies like a thirsty man accepts water. Standard totalitarian strategy.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
He seems to believe that ensuring equal voting rights/access and a platform aimed at reducing political corruption is not only undesirable, but specifically tailored to protect the Democratic party. Which would imply that systematic voter disenfranchisement and open corruption are both essential components of the current Republican party. Perhaps he hasn't made that connection yet.

On the healthcare absurdity: I just can't even. Today's GOP preys on people who refuse to research the basic facts upon which they build beliefs. If one thinks all media is dishonest and the only truth comes from the silver tongues of select politicians, they accept lies like a thirsty man accepts water. Standard totalitarian strategy.
what is most disturbing is how many people are willingly lining up behind this. i guess the two decades + of the 24/7 talk radio/fox news puke funnel worked as intended

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Obamacare is not the answer, what the GOP are trying to do is not the answer. The entire system, and I mean the ENTIRE system, needs to be trashed. Any health care system that relies on for profit insurance companies to function is destine to fail. The only reason your one night stay at a hospital cost $15,000 is because of insurance companies, not because it is the true cost of providing the service.

I think healthcare should be a service based industry, not a profit based industry but, too many people are getting filthy rich off of the health "services" of Americans so, things will never change.

Last edited:

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I'm old enough to remember when the Republicans said they were going to reign in corruption (2016). I saw through that and see through this. That said, there needs to be a counterweight to Trump.
I can't promise that it will happen, but I think we all agree that it needs to. Did Republicans present written legislation in 2016, as Warren has? Did they have young candidates refusing PAC money and winning? In fairness, (some) Dems have done more than just talk about this. It may not be much yet, but it's more than we've had in decades.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I can't promise that it will happen, but I think we all agree that it needs to. Did Republicans present written legislation in 2016, as Warren has? Did they have young candidates refusing PAC money and winning? In fairness, (some) Dems have done more than just talk about this. It may not be much yet, but it's more than we've had in decades.
Yes, 100% agree. We've just seen both sides claim that they will work on campaign reform for what feels like ages now. Nothing ever seems to happen. The minority party always wants reform, the majority ends up not seeing the need.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Obamacare is not the answer, what the GOP are trying to do is not the answer. The entire system, and I mean the ENTIRE system, needs to be trashed. Any health care system that relies on for profit insurance companies to function is destine to fail. The only reason your one night stay at a hospital cost $15,000 is because of insurance companies, not because it is the true cost of providing the service.

I think healthcare should be a service based industry, not a profit based industry but, too many people are getting filthy rich off of the health "services" of Americans so, things will never change.
I agree 100%.

The problem is people tend to get way too sensitive when it comes to telling an industry they need to be competitive when it deals with life and death on a daily basis.

Almost like emergency services such as law enforcement and fire management.

Get the insurance companies out of it and let's look at health care like we do any other consumer based industry.

"We are running a special on blood work this month. Shop around and you won't find a less expensive Z-Pack anywhere!"

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I agree 100%.

The problem is people tend to get way too sensitive when it comes to telling an industry they need to be competitive when it deals with life and death on a daily basis.

Almost like emergency services such as law enforcement and fire management.

Get the insurance companies out of it and let's look at health care like we do any other consumer based industry.

"We are running a special on blood work this month. Shop around and you won't find a less expensive Z-Pack anywhere!"
unfortunately, you cant shop around when you are having a heart attack, or if your child is born with a life threatening congenital birth defect, etc.

health care is nothing like other consumer based industries.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
unfortunately, you cant shop around when you are having a heart attack, or if your child is born with a life threatening congenital birth defect, etc.

health care is nothing like other consumer based industries.
I agree....it's not like any other consumer based industry. And that's why it's such a mess right now. No one wants to approach things in a traditional manner.

Of course, if I'm having a heart attack....I'm not going to start making calls to find the best deal. That is done beforehand. Just like you shop for new tires before you end up on the side of the road with a flat tire.

IMHO, people would be better served if more emphasis was placed on preventative measures. Check ups, blood work (as I mentioned), physical and massage therapy, screenings, etc etc..... Get all that stuff into a consumer based platform...market it......make it part of the household budget......just like paying the utility bill.

Probably won't happen - at least in my lifetime. Too much money being made by "middle men" --- plus too many primitive thinkers stuck in a time warp unable to understand "big picture thinking".....

It's the year 2018 and we still don't have it figured out. Hello 2019.....

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
You will have to excuse all of us skeptics. We have been conditioned by decades of promises like this and cannot see how this one will end up any different.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.