What is the party platform for the Democratic Party nowadays?
Page 1 of 16 1234567811 ... LastLast

What is the party platform for the Democratic Party nowadays?

Anyone know?

All I hear is Trump this and Trump that.

Trump is dominating the news cycle so much the Dems can't get a word in edgewise.

Oh - Kanye in the news as well....almost forgot that part.

And Korea peace, China trade, Iran caught with Nukes, Syrian payback, war on Opioids, and the booming economy.

Re: What is the party platform for the Democratic Party nowadays?

the parties create their platforms in the presidential election year.

link
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

It doesn't matter.

Party platforms are documents of deceit designed solely to get the person endorsing them nominated and then to be tossed aside like a used prophylactic and for much the same reason.

The sad truth is that neither party in any way represents anything resembling the broad spectrum of the country. The Democrats did from around 1932 into the late 60s/early 70s (depending on where you lived) and the GOP did from around 1983 to 2003. (The middle years I excluded were a period of transition to a large degree).

Being anti-Nixon wasn't enough in 1972 (he won 49 states but I'm supposed to believe without Watergate he would have lost)
    Being anti-Reagan wasn't enough in 1984 (see Nixon without Watergate)
    Being anti-Clinton wasn't enough in 1996
    Being anti-Bush wasn't enough in 2004 (although Kerry damn near pulled it off)
    Being anti-Obama wasn't enough in 2012

Being anti-Trump ALONE won't win in 2020. Nor will being anti-Pence. It simply doesn't work that way. Doubt ALWAYS resolves against the challenger.

My utter dislike for Bill Clinton is well known on this board (and precedes most folks having even heard of him). But I give Clinton a lot of credit for actually spelling out some sort of vision for what he wanted to do. Sure, he lied a bunch and co-opted basically the popular part of the GOP's then arsenal (speaking of useless platforms). But he DID say, "Hey, this is what I sorta wanna do." Even Perot, nutty as he was, sounded the alarm about the deficit and said straight up, "I'm gonna raise taxes and cut spending." Bush's spiel was nothing but "I'm not Clinton." Hell, his 1988 campaign was basically, "I'm not Dukakis," and he got away with it because we were at peace and economics were much better than in early 1992.

I don't know what their platform is any more than I know the what the GOP platform is. I know they're both lying in general, though, because I can simply look at what they actually do when they get there. I'm old enough to remember when the GOP actually cared about budget deficits.

The platform for both parties is, "Say just enough to get elected and do just enough to get re-elected."
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    Anyone know?

All I hear is Trump this and Trump that.

Trump is dominating the news cycle so much the Dems can't get a word in edgewise.

Oh - Kanye in the news as well....almost forgot that part.

And Korea peace, China trade, Iran caught with Nukes, Syrian payback, war on Opioids, and the booming economy.

Oops I thought this thread was going to be about the Democrats. Didn't realize it was a bait and switch to sunshine pump for Trump with stuff that's either not true, half true, or wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by MattinBama View Post
    Oops I thought this thread was going to be about the Democrats. Didn't realize it was a bait and switch to sunshine pump for Trump with stuff that's either not true, half true, or wrong.
    you big meanie
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

It could be about the Democratic party with some excellent contributions by such qualified and knowledgeable forum members such as yourself, Matt.

You have the floor now, sir.....

Look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely your friend,
    Baz

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

The GOP cared about budget deficits when they werenít writing the budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    -snip-
    Being anti-Trump ALONE won't win in 2020. Nor will being anti-Pence. It simply doesn't work that way. Doubt ALWAYS resolves against the challenger.-snip-
    Thanks for your excellent post and sound reasoning, Bill. Sorry to snip your post, but the part I left above is what I was thinking - and wondering if this is what the Democratic Party is going to go with this time around. I think it would very tempting with so much media buzz about Trump and his bombastic personality.

92 posted that there will be no platform until the next election year - I guess that's how the "old system" of ours works. But why not work on something for the mid-terms?

BamaNation Hall of Fame MattinBama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    It could be about the Democratic party with some excellent contributions by such qualified and knowledgeable forum members such as yourself, Matt.

You have the floor now, sir.....

Look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely your friend,
    Baz
    It's pretty obvious what the intention actually was. I'm not going to bother doing research for you to ignore because it doesn't fit with the pro-Trump echo chamber stuff you clearly still surround yourself with.

BamaNation Hall of Fame AlexanderFan's Avatar

In other words Bazza, not much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

It's pretty obvious what the intention actually was. I'm not going to bother doing research for you to ignore because it doesn't fit with the pro-Trump echo chamber stuff you clearly still surround yourself with.
    Wow....sorry I do not conform to your ideologies.

FWIW - I respect your right to have your opinions on politics......WHATEVER they are!

Go get 'em tiger!

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderFan View Post
    In other words Bazza, not much.
    It's OK - he has a right to voice his thoughts and he is very passionate about his politics - that's cool.

you obviously don't know from awesome.

- George Orwell

ó Thomas Pynchon