LSU Super Fan Lee Marvin Murdered Outside His Home

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Gone are the days when a person could beat some sense into a friend or neighbor. Do it today and you go to prison and ruin your life forever. So people pent up their rage and then explode. The guy with the hose deserved a beating, but had the neighbor administered it he would just as surely have been headed to prison as he is today.

There is a huge portion of our society that believes that violence is never the answer. Those people fail to take into account man's nature, or the percentage of our population that simply does not care for the lives of those around them. They are bombs that need to be defused every day. Today, there are too few outlets for their aggression, but prison cells aplenty.
The problem isn't that people don't still fist fight. The problem is their intent of the fist fight has changed. As you said, years ago two neighbors or a friends got crossways at each other. If they couldn't solve it by words they'd simply throw down for a little bit and be done. Shake hands and go drink a cold one together. Now days the intent is to kill. Keep beating and hitting until they're severely maimed or dead. That's what has changed.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The problem isn't that people don't still fist fight. The problem is their intent of the fist fight has changed. As you said, years ago two neighbors or a friends got crossways at each other. If they couldn't solve it by words they'd simply throw down for a little bit and be done. Shake hands and go drink a cold one together. Now days the intent is to kill. Keep beating and hitting until they're severely maimed or dead. That's what has changed.
I think that the reason is the pent up aggression.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
I think that the reason is the pent up aggression.
I look at these types of events as a side product of not accepting someone else to win or get ahead if it means you can't win, and instead the other person must lose if you feel slighted or you lose. I know it's shunned to discuss here, but just look at the culture of our politics these days, where it's not enough to win some, lose some, and compromise where it's prudent, instead much of our language is spent spouting that the other side must lose instead of being compromised with, even if the result is that "both sides" will lose in the end. I'm sure this type of culture is nothing new in history, but we seem to be slipping backward into some bad habits.

Last edited:

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Not at all saying the guy who shot the victim has an excuse but when you do dumb things all the time and aggravate others, you will eventually get yours. It is possible to deserve something although the person who did it will have to answer for the same. Neither party is blameless in this one.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Not at all saying the guy who shot the victim has an excuse but when you do dumb things all the time and aggravate others, you will eventually get yours. It is possible to deserve something although the person who did it will have to answer for the same. Neither party is blameless in this one.
I don't think that many will argue that the guy who died wasn't deserving of some sort of retribution. Honestly, it is hard for me to imagine that someone capable of such action has many friends or will be missed by many. But the guy who shot him crossed a line that really can't be defended (not saying that you are). Whatever brought him to that line, he made a choice to cross it.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
One in a hundred people is a psychopath. Just another reason to treat those around us with respect. You just never know.
The REALITY is that every single one of us has a "line" - it's different for every person, but like it or not, deny it or not - every single one of us has a "line", and if you push a person across their "line", they WILL SNAP.

That Excuses NOTHING. It doesn't mean its OK to "Snap" or that anyone should get a "pass" for violence EVER. But it is a plain fact of human nature. Even the most patient soul can be pushed to the brink, if they are provoked hard enough, for long enough.

Remember that "Fan" is short for FANATIC. I didn't know the deceased, and I have no personal knowledge of him. Maybe he was just a fun loving guy who enjoyed a good joke. Maybe the Neighbor who murdered him is the only nut job in that equation.... Only two people really know for sure, and one of them is now dead.

But based on the NOLA.com report, well.......
http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2018/05/lee_big_lee_martin_shot_dead_a.html

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
In days past, people were not fundamentally different. People still got angry, still treated others with contempt at times, and some still needed their behinds whipped.

What has changed is our collective attitude toward human life. In the past, most Americans believed that human life had value.

(Edit - Thank you, BB, for the changes)

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
From the article:

The two had an "ongoing feud for over 10 years" that escalated Saturday morning, he said. Lopinto said the neighbor is currently in custody.

"They fight nonstop over anything and everything," Lopinto said.

It really wasn't about being sprayed with water.

The REALITY is that every single one of us has a "line" - it's different for every person, but like it or not, deny it or not - every single one of us has a "line", and if you push a person across their "line", they WILL SNAP.

That Excuses NOTHING. It doesn't mean its OK to "Snap" or that anyone should get a "pass" for violence EVER. But it is a plain fact of human nature. Even the most patient soul can be pushed to the brink, if they are provoked hard enough, for long enough.

Remember that "Fan" is short for FANATIC. I didn't know the deceased, and I have no personal knowledge of him. Maybe he was just a fun loving guy who enjoyed a good joke. Maybe the Neighbor who murdered him is the only nut job in that equation.... Only two people really know for sure, and one of them is now dead.

But based on the NOLA.com report, well.......
http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2018/05/lee_big_lee_martin_shot_dead_a.html

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
People are just around each other too much. Everyone needs their space and their bubble sometimes
Yes. A smaller scale example is marriage. It's why it's good to get unplugged and go fishing/hunting/golfing with the guys, or "shopping with the girls" if you're a women. Too many people are perpetually "plugged in" and do not allow themselves time to decompress from situations/life in general. It's like a pressure cooker. The pot reaches a point that it can't hold anymore pressure and it has to release. People are the same way.

UntouchableCrew

All-SEC
Nov 30, 2015
One in a hundred people is a psychopath. Just another reason to treat those around us with respect. You just never know.
Yup. Somebody cuts you off? Let it go. Someone being unreasonable? Be the bigger man and walk away. You never know who's crazy and what people are capable of. Losing your life over nonsense is never worth winning the argument or refusing to back down.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
It really wasn't about being sprayed with water.
I once had a roommate that delighted in pushing my buttons. One time he was ticking me off, and in the process, he threw a glass of water on me. In the moment, I wanted to "get him back" and if I had a glass of water, I would have thrown it on him, but I didn't have a glass of water. You've heard the expression "spitting mad" and I was literally that. I spit on him instead, and boy did that set him off. He charged me, punches were thrown, and then we wrestled it out. It wasn't about the water then, either. It was about the disrespect.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I once had a roommate that delighted in pushing my buttons. One time he was ticking me off, and in the process, he threw a glass of water on me. In the moment, I wanted to "get him back" and if I had a glass of water, I would have thrown it on him, but I didn't have a glass of water. You've heard the expression "spitting mad" and I was literally that. I spit on him instead, and boy did that set him off. He charged me, punches were thrown, and then we wrestled it out. It wasn't about the water then, either. It was about the disrespect.
I can relate. When I was single (post college) I had a roommate who was like this as well. Very passive aggressive type. He'd do stuff for the simple enjoyment of irritating me. Never had a physical confrontation with him. Though we came close a few times.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
Yup. Somebody cuts you off? Let it go. Someone being unreasonable? Be the bigger man and walk away. You never know who's crazy and what people are capable of. Losing your life over nonsense is never worth winning the argument or refusing to back down.
My wife tells me this every time I use the car horn. "You are going to get yourself shot." In today's America (even in Alabama), this isn't just an idle observation.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Yes. A smaller scale example is marriage. It's why it's good to get unplugged and go fishing/hunting/golfing with the guys, or "MAKING SAMMICHES" if you're a women. Too many people are perpetually "plugged in" and do not allow themselves time to decompress from situations/life in general. It's like a pressure cooker. The pot reaches a point that it can't hold anymore pressure and it has to release. People are the same way.
FIFY

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
When I'm going in or out of a 7-11 type convenance store, I try not to make eye contact with anyone. I try to hold the door or thank people who do the same for me. Too many short fuses out there nowadays.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.