Rivalry Tour from Arizona

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
So if we assume (for now) a 2:30p start, what time would you suggest getting to T-Town? More importantly, what kind of travel time should we expect from Birmingham?
A 2:30 PM game means making a full day of it. You`ll want to see some places like the museum, the quad, etc., etc. so you`d need to be there in the morning.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
A 2:30 PM game means making a full day of it. You`ll want to see some places like the museum, the quad, etc., etc. so you`d need to be there in the morning.
We are going to the aTm game and plan on arriving at about 8am (assuming a 2:30 kickoff). The biscuit place on the strip was awesome and quick for breakfast, then so much to see before the game itself.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
So if we assume (for now) a 2:30p start, what time would you suggest getting to T-Town? More importantly, what kind of travel time should we expect from Birmingham?
I am from just outside of Birmingham and if you want to enjoy the full game day experience I would suggest you leave Birmingham around 8:00 and that will get you to T-Town/BDS area around 10:00-10:30 with the gameday traffic. Obviously if you leave earlier the less traffic you will face.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Looks incredible! Would you go pre-game or post-game? Does Iron Bowl normally kick off early evening?

If this game is NOT at 230pm on CBS (caveat: barring weather that forces a move.....but Bill Curry is no longer our coach so....), I'll mail you $100.

I'm serious. And since I'm planning on attending the IB......I'll meet you in person to give it to you if it isn't.

All 14 SEC teams play that week. You can throw out the Egg Bowl (the Mississippi teams) because it's on Thanksgiving (there's a chance I may go to that one, too).

That leaves......

Tennessee-Vandy
Arky-Mizzou
SCAR-Clemson
Kentucky-Louisville
LSU-ATM
Georgia-Ga Tech
Florida-Florida St

Since CBS shows SEC football at that time, there are only THREE realistic possibilities for the 230 kickoff:
Alabama-Auburn
Tenn-Vandy
LSU-ATM

I can tell you right now that it won't be Vandy. Do you know how many times Vandy has played on CBS since 2000?

2001 - Tennessee
2013- Georgia
2015 - Georgia
2017 - Alabama

The 2013 UGA game was only on CBS because they did a doubleheader that day; it was actually an 11 am kickoff. So Vandy, who brings no viewers to the TV, is out. And given LSU's insane head coach and only knowing where in the world he will sink them......you play the odds.

The Iron Bowl has been on CBS every single year but one since 2008 - REGARDLESS of record.

Yes, even 3-9 Auburn in 2012 was the 230 game. And the one time that it wasn't - 2014 - was because of a unique set of circumstances where CBS gambled and lost. CBS is limited to showing big draws five times in a season, and they had to choose between #1 Miss St vs Alabama or the Iron Bowl. When they chose the Miss St game, ESPN grabbed the Iron Bowl and left CBS - who thought they'd made a good choice - with the Egg Bowl for the first time in 50 years. After they made the selection, both MS schools tanked games and turned it into a scrimmage for a bowl game.

Also - there are NOT many marquee games featuring Alabama in the SEC this year.

Can you actually find five SEC games with us worth watching this fall (if you're a network exec)? LSU (just because), ATM, and possibly Mizzou with that quarterback.......plus the Iron Bowl (that's four).......and the Vols would make five. (Ole Miss is history and who knows about MSU?)

It's true, of course, that the game was on Friday in 2009 and 2010 but it should be noted those were set before the season as well so we already knew it wouldn't be on Saturday. Those games kicked off at 130pm on a Friday.

Bet the farm - it's gonna be at 230pm.

You'll maybe want to leave B'ham around 8-9 am and make a day of it.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I am from just outside of Birmingham and if you want to enjoy the full game day experience I would suggest you leave Birmingham around 8:00 and that will get you to T-Town/BDS area around 10:00-10:30 with the gameday traffic. Obviously if you leave earlier the less traffic you will face.
Having just done this for the first time for A-Day, I would want to arrive much earlier than that. If he arrives with the crowds everything will be packed. He will not have any room anywhere. This really impacts the experience. BDS, Denny Chimes (hand prints)the Walk of Champions, etc. is all amazing - before the crowds arrive. Once the crowds arrive, you can't see anything but other human beings.

BearDownTW

May 3, 2018
I’m hoping we can get on the road before 8am then. Any thoughts on getting an Uber there and back? Don’t really want to hire a driver for 10 hours while he sits in T-Town for 8 of them parked.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I’m hoping we can get on the road before 8am then. Any thoughts on getting an Uber there and back? Don’t really want to hire a driver for 10 hours while he sits in T-Town for 8 of them parked.
The getting there - if you leave that early - won't be the problem.

It will be the getting back to BHAM.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Having just done this for the first time for A-Day, I would want to arrive much earlier than that. If he arrives with the crowds everything will be packed. He will not have any room anywhere. This really impacts the experience. BDS, Denny Chimes (hand prints)the Walk of Champions, etc. is all amazing - before the crowds arrive. Once the crowds arrive, you can't see anything but other human beings.
Good points. I have been to many games so my time frame was more based on my schedule.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
That’s my concern. I’m officially accepting all helicopter donations :)
If you're willing to be patient and bear with it.....you can walk (it's a hike) from the game up to one of the restaurants on McFarland and chill
for 1-2 hours and THEN take an Uber after traffic clears out (you'd be getting back to BHM maybe 10 or 11pm).

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If you're willing to be patient and bear with it.....you can walk (it's a hike) from the game up to one of the restaurants on McFarland and chill
for 1-2 hours and THEN take an Uber after traffic clears out (you'd be getting back to BHM maybe 10 or 11pm).
That is my plan for the aTm game.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I don't know if I have seen it mentioned. But hanging out at The Hotel Capstone and watching the team get on the bus is pretty cool. You can literally high-five the guys as they get on the buses, and very few people actually know about it,so it's pretty accessible. And there's a bar and clean bathrooms there too...:) ***Hotel Capstone is a short 2 block walk from the quad...
That is my plan for the aTm game.

Last edited:

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
Hi everyone. My father in law and I do a Rivalry Tour (he is Arizona St I'm Arizona) this year we have decided to come to the Iron Bowl and cannot be more excited. LSU/Alabama 2 years ago did not disappoint and I'm sure Tuscaloosa won't let us down. We always buy the home team hat and root for the W! We are staying in Birmingham arriving Friday night. Can we Uber to Tuscaloosa? Party bus? Motorcade?. Any pregame spots, sights, restaurants we should hit for the experience? Flights are booked. Any help is appreciated.
Troy
Forgive me if I missed anyone already offering any of these - I think I've read the whole thread, but here goes.

Hotels & Traffic. - Almost hate to give away the secret, but I post this every year :), so here goes: For the past DECADE now, We've been staying in Meridian on game weekends. Its all of 90 minutes away (even if you drive the speed limit) - all by Interstate - and there's NEVER any appreciable traffic. "Worst case" if the trucks are out you might be "Stuck" only going 75-80. Even AFTER the games, once you turn off 359 onto I-20 the traffic is light. There are two rest stops between Meridian and Tuscaloosa on each of the East and West bound sides, and all are relatively clean and relatively uncrowded on game days.

And the BEST PART? You pay regular rates for your hotel room.

IF there's a bus ride from B'ham, that would be HIGHLY Preferable to driving. IF you must drive from B'ham - plan on hanging out in T-Town AT LEAST 90 minutes - preferably 2+ hours after the game ends. For the Booger-Eater game - add an hour since many of the visiting fans are using the same route out of town.

Parking - IF you drive to the game and If you also have a handicapped tag - first, God Bless You. Second, UA offers excellent handicapped parking, and its well worth it. The University also offers various on-campus parking for the general public. I've never used the general parking, but I know there is good bus service to and from the lots.

Pre-Game
- As much as I like the "Walk of Champions", we are also pretty big fans of the "Elephant Stomp" pep rally on the quad starting about and hour and a half before each game. As for food - there are a ton of good places if you have time. For my "2 cents" I suggest hanging around the strip since that's where you get the most gameday "vibe". There's a variety of restaurants in walking distance (even good Thai food), and even more choices if you are willing to venture downtown - but its quite a walk. You'd probably want to take a cab, uber or rickshaw or something.

FWIW - this article is probably about as good a list as you will find. http://953thebear.com/heres-a-list-of-5-things-to-do-at-your-first-alabama-football-game/

Roll Tide, and best wishes for a great weekend!

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
JUST "FWIW" - McFarland = Chain restaurants. "Not that there's anything wrong with that" :wink: - I know a lot of people prefer chains. Just throwing it out there for the benefit of the OP.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
Arrive early and do the Bear Bryant museum, Check out the prints at Denny Chimes & pick out some interesting tailgaters to share your story with (e.g. what you and your dad are doing & you'll probably get some food/beer and new friends). Strolling the campus-- Woods Hall survived the civil war and was used as a prison, Gorgas House is historic, Smith Hall is the Natural History museum and the interior is worth a look. Otherwise, many buildings around the quad are just nice to look at period......
All This ^^^^ - and just another thought- I'd STRONGLY suggest you wear your U.Az and AzState gear!!! People will LOVE it, and it will be an instant Ice-Breaker!! (PS - got to thinking - doesn't U.of Az stuff look sorta barnish? Yea... may want to think that one through - maybe if you have a hat that says "Arizona" vs. just an A on a blue hat.... ;)

And PS - if you are staying anywhere around the 'ham - the traffic times in this thread are real, and if anything might even be Optimistic.

BearDownTW

May 3, 2018
All This ^^^^ - and just another thought- I'd STRONGLY suggest you wear your U.Az and AzState gear!!! People will LOVE it, and it will be an instant Ice-Breaker!! (PS - got to thinking - doesn't U.of Az stuff look sorta barnish? Yea... may want to think that one through - maybe if you have a hat that says "Arizona" vs. just an A on a blue hat.... ;)

And PS - if you are staying anywhere around the 'ham - the traffic times in this thread are real, and if anything might even be Optimistic.
Thanks so much for all of the info. We always wear our school shirts/jackets and the home team hat. I'll be sure to wear my Red gear, not Opelika Blue ;). In Baton Rouge, everyone kept calling me Tiger Bait then realized I was wearing the "wrong A" and then the conversation/whiskey started.

Last edited:

BearDownTW

May 3, 2018
JUST "FWIW" - McFarland = Chain restaurants. "Not that there's anything wrong with that" :wink: - I know a lot of people prefer chains. Just throwing it out there for the benefit of the OP.
I think we'll try to hang around the Strip for a while and mingle while celebrating a Tide W!

BearDownTW

May 3, 2018
I'd still try to Air BNB/VRBO it...There's nothing like the strip after a big W...Hate for you to miss it walking...
We just haven't found anything that pencils. But we plan to hang on the Strip after the game for a few hours then grab an Uber back to BHam. A little roll of the dice but worst case is just another round of cocktails...or two, to wait out traffic.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.