The TideFans Name Thread

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
What is the meaning of your TideFans name? How did you come up with it?

I’ll begin with mine. I am a die hard fan of Alabama football (TrueCrimson). Since that particular moniker had already been chosen, I added a 7 at the end (a perfect number in some circles).

I would enjoy finding out how you came up with your names. For instance, what is a Bazza? RTR91…are you a graduate from UA in the early 90’s or a great fan of Bob Baumhower (#91)? I’ve seen a few recent name changes for NationalTitles17 to keep up with this amazing run of championships, but what was your original one? Even if you think your name is self-explanatory, it might not be for everyone.

I believe this thread will be particularly interesting and fun for football fans given the diversity of our members and the fact that many of our names arise from our love for Alabama football. So please refrain from unnecessary commentary about your name or someone else’s name that would deteriorate the narrative and relegate this to a less-sophisticated non-sports thread.

Please add your story below.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
-81 was my high school football number
-USAF was my branch of service
-92. Was the first Bama national championship in my lifetime.
- my sig “ I’ll either find a way or make one

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Mine is pretty easy. It should be pronounced DesignKing and RTR. I am an architect and I am the design king. The back story comes from my second year of architecture school. I dumped my entire project 8 days before the final because I was unsatisfied with the direction it was going. I started over from scratch and still finished on time and got a B. the professors on my jury said I would have gotten an A had some of my hand drawn drawing not looked "rushed".

Last edited:

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I think mine's fairly self-explanatory...

However, as a back-story, it's a slightly longer version of my first car's vanity plate.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Mine is pretty easy. It should be pronounced DesignKing and RTR. I am an architect and I am the design king. The back story comes from my second year of architecture school. I dumped my entire project 8 days before the final because I was unsatisfied with the direction it was going. I started over from scratch and still finished on time and got a B. the professors on my jury said I would have gotten an A had some of my hand drawn drawing not looked "rushed".
This is funny. I always thought your name is implying something about Disney World or something. Like you have been there a lot of times.

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Mine is self-explanatory. While I grew up in Alabama (Homewood High School), I have been living in Minneapolis, Minnesota for the past 37 years.

Zorak

All-American
Jan 8, 2010
Orlando, FL (Winter Park area)
Like several of my comrades here, it is pretty self explanatory. For 2010 (when I signed up) and most of 2011, I was Tide in Oxford as I was living in Oxford MS at the time. I think I tried a few others when I originally signed up, but settled on Tide in Oxford. When I moved to Jawjuh in late 2011, I changed it to what it is today.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
Vinny was my pledge name. It kind of stuck, I was known as Vinny when I was at Alabama in the early to mid 90s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
As some of you may know my name is based on my occupation. I'm a documentary producer working in conjunction with a fairly large humanitarian aid organization. So it's "International Aperture" as my work typically takes me away from home - but never to places like Italy or France, but usually places like Haiti, Senegal or Liberia.

Side Note: This is a great off-season thread.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
My wife and I chose B1G to represent me and Tide to represent her as this is meant to be a shared account, though she doesn't post as much now as she has in the past.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Mine is pretty obvious but there's a back story as well.

I have no recollection of ever living in Alabama. I was born at New Vaughn Memorial Hospital in October 1969 when my Dad was assigned to Craig Air Force Base working on T-33s. We moved at the end of June 1971, when I was less than two years old, so I literally do not recall anything about that time.

Tidefans was, in fact, the first ever "chat board" or whatever that I ever joined. I would have put a little more thought into the name had I known that 18 years later I'd still be posting here. At the same time as my original joining, I also joined a site (now defunct) called ncaaboards.com. It allowed a little more verbal rough housing than we do here, although they did keep it in limits. I posted over there as Hollingsworth89 - because in 2000, Gary Hollingsworth in 1989 was the best QB I'd seen as far as actually being able to PASS the ball. He wouldn't even be on the team as a QB today - that's how much it has all changed (the same can be said for a lot of our option QBs as well).

So it was selmaborntidefan then and now.

Or you can call me Bill, as my appearance on "60 Minutes" and other places is pretty well-known by the regulars here.

As far as the new signature, nobody seems to have said anything about it. The top line is from "Wagon Wheel" (of course) and the bottom paragraph is a parody of "The A-Team."

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Mine is very easy to figure out. I'm a big Tide fan who's lived in PA my entire life. I've been a fan for 40+ years. I admired Coach Bryant and he was the reason I became a Tide fan.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Another one that is pretty self-explanatory. It's a bit more redundant than I would like here but I originally was only lurking here for a few years - it may still be the same but back then you couldn't join the site with a yahoo or hotmail email address and so I didn't sign up until I had a company email where I used to work. I had been posting with this name on a couple of SEC forums so I just used it here as well. I haven't posted on those forums in years but never felt the need to request a change.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Mine is ancient, in internet terms, and simple. "HSV" is of course the international designation for the Huntsville airport. I started using it on TiderInsider, when there were only a dozen or so of us, to designate where I was posting from. I still use it almost everywhere. I seldom post on rival boards, unless there's a blatant falsehood about Bama or Tidefans. When I do, I no longer use the handle because it's too recognizable and identified with Tidefans. I was using it years ago when Brett kicked me off the old listserv for making a snarky remark, which he claims not to remember... :D

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.