Waikiki Longboarding, The Future - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Re: Waikiki Longboarding, The Future

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    By 1985 the Driftwood was long gone and replaced by East Street Restaurant. Ring a bell? It was right across from Nichols Surf Shop on Flagler.
    my years there where 83-85 a friend of the family had a house right by the Crawford Road beach access point. That is where I always stayed and would make my way up to the inlet from there. I don't recall any of the local places around there. We lived a couple hours south, my normal beaches were from Pompano up to Boca but when the inlet was hoppin we'd catch rides from the older kids up or beg our parents to take us up to the house in New Smyrna. I taught the son of my mom's friend how to boogie board and then surf just because they had that house so he'd want to go a lot, he was a year or two younger than me
    "There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist." - Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    my years there where 83-85 a friend of the family had a house right by the Crawford Road beach access point. That is where I always stayed and would make my way up to the inlet from there. I don't recall any of the local places around there. We lived a couple hours south, my normal beaches were from Pompano up to Boca but when the inlet was hoppin we'd catch rides from the older kids up or beg our parents to take us up to the house in New Smyrna. I taught the son of my mom's friend how to boogie board and then surf just because they had that house so he'd want to go a lot, he was a year or two younger than me
    I bet your friend knew about the Driftwood and Easy Street......and Moes (the local watering hole).....

Those years ('83-'85) I was renting a house on Normandy Ave. just 2 blocks from where you stayed.

We probably saw each other out surfing...who knows?

Good times, like you said.....

I bet your friend knew about the Driftwood and Easy Street......and Moes (the local watering hole).....

Those years ('83-'85) I was renting a house on Normandy Ave. just 2 blocks from where you stayed.

We probably saw each other out surfing...who knows?

Good times, like you said.....
    Likely did, I did defer to the locals as that was expected of the "tourists" who came to "my" beach when the waves were good. So I promise I never cut you off or dropped in on a wave you were locked in on
    "There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist." - Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Likely did, I did defer to the locals as that was expected of the "tourists" who came to "my" beach when the waves were good. So I promise I never cut you off or dropped in on a wave you were locked in on
    Thanks man - we got plenty of that rude behaviour from the O'villes and Sanfordites!

Pulled out some old slides today....me with 2 of my friends and our fishes....guessing circa 1974.

I'm guessing these were taken at the Sunglow Pier in DB Shores.

I'm the 4-eyes...

Going through more old slides.......here's a couple local sisters I knew leaning against my Chevy Vega wagon. And one of local police units on patrol. These were taken in the '72-'73 time period.

These times for me were very pure, as compared to today. (back when patrol cars only needed one light on the roof! )

Skip Frye 1968....stylin'!

Going through more old slides.......here's a couple local sisters I knew leaning against my Chevy Vega wagon. And one of local police units on patrol. These were taken in the '72-'73 time period.

These times for me were very pure, as compared to today. (back when patrol cars only needed one light on the roof! )

There's an economical reason for the change in lighting. They sell those cruisers at end of service, if they aren't totaled first. Frankly, I have no idea why anyone would buy an engine which had been run like that, but some do. Those single lights had to be bolted to the top, with the necessary damage. The light bars clip into the rain gutters on the old Crown Vics and they have methods for clamping them onto other cars. Once you have the light bar in place, well, why not mount more lights? Maybe easier to see...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    There's an economical reason for the change in lighting. They sell those cruisers at end of service, if they aren't totaled first. Frankly, I have no idea why anyone would buy an engine which had been run like that, but some do. Those single lights had to be bolted to the top, with the necessary damage. The light bars clip into the rain gutters on the old Crown Vics and they have methods for clamping them onto other cars. Once you have the light bar in place, well, why not mount more lights? Maybe easier to see...
    Are you saying those buying used cop cars......wouldn't pay extra for a light on top?

Hey thanks for the explanation. I get it. But they have gone way overboard on the lights, IMHO...

Are you saying those buying used cop cars......wouldn't pay extra for a light on top?

Hey thanks for the explanation. I get it. But they have gone way overboard on the lights, IMHO...
    I would say it's more the use of them which is overboard. When they're working an accident or something like that, I don't have a problem with being able to see them ahead as soon as possible...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Drew Brees at Kelly Slater's surf ranch......

Tavarua, FIJI....a break called "Cloudbreak"......