Waikiki Longboarding, The Future

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Summer will be here soon. Still a long ways until football starts back up. It's OK - time will go by - in fact.....it will fly by, as they say.

We have some good surf here - not like in Hawaii but fun enough to ride consistently.

The beach is about a 2 minute walk from my house and another 10 minutes further down the beach is the most consistent surf spot in town - called "The Inlet"

You can still have fun on small waves......check out these grommets hot dogging it up.....:p

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Summer will be here soon. Still a long ways until football starts back up. It's OK - time will go by - in fact.....it will fly by, as they say.

We have some good surf here - not like in Hawaii but fun enough to ride consistently.

The beach is about a 2 minute walk from my house and another 10 minutes further down the beach is the most consistent surf spot in town - called "The Inlet"

You can still have fun on small waves......check out these grommets hot dogging it up.....:p

I guess a decent storm comes through every once in a while... :)

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
I guess a decent storm comes through every once in a while... :)
From a 2010 op-ed, this person has us at #2 on the East Coast.......

2. New Smyrna Beach, Florida: New Smyrna’s inlet is known for two main things: shark attacks and some of the most consistent waves in Florida. The sandbar between its jetties allow for well-shaped peaks, long rides and reformed barrels, making the waves perfect for performance tricks. Already home to a number of sponsored contests, such as the Transworld Surf East Coast Scholastic Surfing Championships, this spot ranks at the top of any East Coast list.

Full disclosure....in other online pieces, we are not even mentioned. Of course, that's not necessarily a bad thing....ha ha....

The warm water is a huge plus for me and now that I'm in my golden years - it doesn't take large nor perfect surf for me to get my stoke. I'm just happy to get wet, get some salt water into my sinus cavity, and get a few rides in from time to time.

:)

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

I used to surf the Inlet a bunch as a kid with my Gordon and Smith Twin fin, good times

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
I used to surf the Inlet a bunch as a kid with my Gordon and Smith Twin fin, good times
Did you ever eat at the Driftwood Restaurant on Flagler Ave.....run by Betty and Bill? That place was epic! :)

My brother and I both bought brand new G&S Summer Fishes from Janies Surf Shack on Flagler Ave. - it was right around 1972, IIRC.....not a twin fin but still a great board!

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Did you ever eat at the Driftwood Restaurant on Flagler Ave.....run by Betty and Bill? That place was epic! :)

My brother and I both bought brand new G&S Summer Fishes from Janies Surf Shack on Flagler Ave. - it was right around 1972, IIRC.....not a twin fin but still a great board!

not that I recall but it has been 33+ years ago

mine was a G&S Custom with a swallow tail design (that I constantly had to re-glass as it was so fragile) that I loved

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
not that I recall but it has been 33+ years ago

mine was a G&S Custom with a swallow tail design (that I constantly had to re-glass as it was so fragile) that I loved
By 1985 the Driftwood was long gone and replaced by East Street Restaurant. Ring a bell? It was right across from Nichols Surf Shop on Flagler.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
By 1985 the Driftwood was long gone and replaced by East Street Restaurant. Ring a bell? It was right across from Nichols Surf Shop on Flagler.
my years there where 83-85 a friend of the family had a house right by the Crawford Road beach access point. That is where I always stayed and would make my way up to the inlet from there. I don't recall any of the local places around there. We lived a couple hours south, my normal beaches were from Pompano up to Boca but when the inlet was hoppin we'd catch rides from the older kids up or beg our parents to take us up to the house in New Smyrna. I taught the son of my mom's friend how to boogie board and then surf just because they had that house so he'd want to go a lot, he was a year or two younger than me

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
my years there where 83-85 a friend of the family had a house right by the Crawford Road beach access point. That is where I always stayed and would make my way up to the inlet from there. I don't recall any of the local places around there. We lived a couple hours south, my normal beaches were from Pompano up to Boca but when the inlet was hoppin we'd catch rides from the older kids up or beg our parents to take us up to the house in New Smyrna. I taught the son of my mom's friend how to boogie board and then surf just because they had that house so he'd want to go a lot, he was a year or two younger than me
I bet your friend knew about the Driftwood and Easy Street......and Moes (the local watering hole).....

Those years ('83-'85) I was renting a house on Normandy Ave. just 2 blocks from where you stayed.

We probably saw each other out surfing...who knows?

Good times, like you said.....

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I bet your friend knew about the Driftwood and Easy Street......and Moes (the local watering hole).....

Those years ('83-'85) I was renting a house on Normandy Ave. just 2 blocks from where you stayed.

We probably saw each other out surfing...who knows?

Good times, like you said.....
Likely did, I did defer to the locals as that was expected of the "tourists" who came to "my" beach when the waves were good. So I promise I never cut you off or dropped in on a wave you were locked in on

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Likely did, I did defer to the locals as that was expected of the "tourists" who came to "my" beach when the waves were good. So I promise I never cut you off or dropped in on a wave you were locked in on
Thanks man - we got plenty of that rude behaviour from the O'villes and Sanfordites! :eek2:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Pulled out some old slides today....me with 2 of my friends and our fishes....guessing circa 1974.

I'm guessing these were taken at the Sunglow Pier in DB Shores.

I'm the 4-eyes... :D

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Going through more old slides.......here's a couple local sisters I knew leaning against my Chevy Vega wagon. And one of local police units on patrol. These were taken in the '72-'73 time period.

These times for me were very pure, as compared to today. (back when patrol cars only needed one light on the roof! ;))

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.