Connecticut To Give Its Electoral College Votes To National Popular Vote Victor

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
It will be fun to watch when this back fires
It wouldn’t be the first time a state changed election laws due to a current situation that they didn’t realize would go against them.

In 2004 John Kerry was running for president. If he won, it would cause a vacancy on the Senate that would be filled by an appointment by the governor. The appointee would serve for two years until the next election.

The problem was the governor was a Republican, Mitt Romney. So the legislature rammed through a bill calling for an immediate special election. But they did not give the governor power to appoint a temporary replacement, a part of the bill Romney opposed. He vetoed it but it passed anyway.

Fast forward to 2009 and the death of Ted Kennedy. At the time, the Democrats held a 60-40 supermajority in the Senate. But now the Democratic governor has no power to appoint someone. The people of Massachusetts not having two senators is suddenly a big concern for them.

So they ram through a bill to allow for a temporary appointment. The whole thing backfired when Scott Brown wins the special election.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
In 2014 Maryland - republicans came out due to an expected low Democrat turnout -- and elected a Republican Governor.... in 2016 when the Democrat turnout was high, the Republicans stayed home.
Not that cut and dry. Hogan won because he was the better candidate. Dems and inds like me voted for him.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Not that cut and dry. Hogan won because he was the better candidate. Dems and inds like me voted for him.
Anthony Brown was such a terrible candidate. Clearly based on this years field they could have found much better Dems to run.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I do not offer an interpretation of the virtues or demerits of the proposal.
I do find interesting how many posters interpret the proposal in light if how it will benefit or harm their political tribe.
The problem with this is that it has no chance of doing anything but protesting the current system. Even if you get the rest of the blue states ( which they won’t) then there still isn’t 100 votes to make a difference. The Midwest and South are going to plant their feet in the ground and refuse to deal. All this is trying to do is trying to force the argument in Congress. But that has failed twice since 1945.

Why it’s so funny is that it realistically sets up the potential of a situation where the Democrats win Florida, Ohio, NY, and NC but lose the election because California says Republicans votes hold weight. You could see a 444-29 win for Trump due to this. It’s an all or none situation or else this favors the Republicans in every election going forward because it’s encouraging the political minority (which are all Republicans)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I do not offer an interpretation of the virtues or demerits of the proposal.
I do find interesting how many posters interpret the proposal in light if how it will benefit or harm their political tribe.

The thing is, I've actually watched this over and over with all sorts of things. My Super Tuesday 1988 example is a good one.

When George Wallace routed five opponents in the 1972 Michigan primary with almost 51% of the vote, the Democrats freaked out and began eliminating winner-take-all contests. In 198 - after Reagan beat them and the GOP had a larger primary turnout than the Democrats (who had concocted a poll tax scheme for their party in the primary that lowered turnout)....and the Dems got control of both houses, they abolished the primary. The Republican moderates in the state were for this as well as the night Bush beat Reagan, the latter got enough delegates elsewhere to clinch the nomination. So the GOP decided that if the new caucus was earlier then it would force candidates to come to Michigan. What happened was Pat Robertson's group got ahold of a bunch of the local party apparatuses and stacked the committees with religious right folks. Robertson then tried to help rig the outcome with an alliance with Jack Kemp, who then fudged on it and made one with Bush, who wound up winning the contest that was so convoluted the press couldn't really explain it.

See there? Dems don't like the outcome so they change the system, Republican moderates don't like the outcome so THEY change the system, and then the national party double rigs the system to get rid of Pat Robertson, who has rigged it in his favor.

When McGovern ran for Prez in 1972, he stood up and DEMANDED that the winner take all rules be applied to the California delegation that would give him enough votes to win the nomination. Eight years later, the same stinking hypocrite stood up there - while working to depose Carter and elect Ted Kennedy - and had the gall to say that voters months ago could not be trusted to respond to changed circumstances.

I realize it's hard to believe but just 30 years ago the Northeastern USA was mostly Republican (MA was the exception) and so was the Left Coast. 50 years ago, the South was still mostly Democratic, including Texas.

I mean, it's already the blue states doing it. They already go blue. It won't mean anything unless you can get a bunch of swing states on board and more recent polling shows a shift in favor of the EC in the last 30 years than we used to have.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Connecticut To Give Its Electoral College Votes To National Popular Vote Victor

Connecticut leading by example, I guess. Nothing unconstitutional about this, if that is how Connecticut wants to award her EC votes (which means a federal court will probably strike it down as somehow unconstitutional)

If a Republican wins the popular vote while a Democrat wins the state vote, I'd bet the state legislature comes under pressure to undo this.
I’m not a legal scholar, but it seems to go against the spirit of the founders’ intent when they created the electoral college.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I’m not a legal scholar, but it seems to go against the spirit of the founders’ intent when they created the electoral college.

It was the only way to keep the big states- small states from becoming their own entities within the first 20 years of the country. Is it democratic? No, but neither is the US if you really think about it.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Regardless of whether you lean red or blue, the logic escapes me.

"OK, we're going to almost certainly vote blue. But if the country as a whole sees it otherwise, we're going to ignore our own thoughts as expressed at the ballot box, and let everybody else set us straight on what we should have thought."

What?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Regardless of whether you lean red or blue, the logic escapes me.

"OK, we're going to almost certainly vote blue. But if the country as a whole sees it otherwise, we're going to ignore our own thoughts as expressed at the ballot box, and let everybody else set us straight on what we should have thought."

What?
Yep.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.