Connecticut To Give Its Electoral College Votes To National Popular Vote Victor

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

Connecticut leading by example, I guess. Nothing unconstitutional about this, if that is how Connecticut wants to award her EC votes (which means a federal court will probably strike it down as somehow unconstitutional)

If a Republican wins the popular vote while a Democrat wins the state vote, I'd bet the state legislature comes under pressure to undo this.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Awesome, widespread voter fraud. More illegals and dead people voting Democratic than ever before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
apparently, there have to be enough states doing this for this to take effect.

The compact requires its members to cast their Electoral College ballots for the presidential candidate who wins the national popular vote. The agreement goes into effect once states representing at least 270 electoral votes — the number needed for a candidate to win the presidency — signs the compact.
and the idea that there was widespread illegal voting for democrats is a trump lie

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I love it.

No risk to the GOP...they weren't going to win Connecticut anyway.

Maybe we can get Maryland, Delaware, Massachusetts and New York/Jersey to do the same thing. Maybe even California.......

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
What the left doesn't understand -- is that there are hundreds of thousands who don't vote in many blue states....simply because they don't see the need if a certain candidate is going to carry the state. But, if it ends up being a "national vote" winner gets the electoral votes -- you will see many more people voting in blue states by conservatives.....that tend to just stay home.

Not sure the left understands what they are getting themselves into....

I'm fine with it..... in an effort to minimize flyover country -- they are going to set themselves up for a broken heart....

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea
Eventually, there will be an EC victory by Democrats while losing the popular vote.

At that time, you will see a mass change in thinking among Republicans.

In the same way that coaches think that teams should win conference championships in order to qualify for the playoffs. Until they go 11-1 and fail to make the conference championship game.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
What the left doesn't understand -- is that there are hundreds of thousands who don't vote in many blue states....simply because they don't see the need if a certain candidate is going to carry the state. But, if it ends up being a "national vote" winner gets the electoral votes -- you will see many more people voting in blue states by conservatives.....that tend to just stay home.

Not sure the left understands what they are getting themselves into....

I'm fine with it..... in an effort to minimize flyover country -- they are going to set themselves up for a broken heart....
You could make the same argument that a lot of people don’t vote in red states for the same reason.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
You could make the same argument that a lot of people don’t vote in red states for the same reason.

You could also make the argument that a lot of liberals don't vote in a state like Maryland because they know their state is more than likely to vote the same way as them anyway.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Connecticut leading by example, I guess. Nothing unconstitutional about this, if that is how Connecticut wants to award her EC votes (which means a federal court will probably strike it down as somehow unconstitutional)

If a Republican wins the popular vote while a Democrat wins the state vote, I'd bet the state legislature comes under pressure to undo this.
This will be insanely funny if we have a 2000 election again (in reverse) and it winds up tipping the election to the GOP.

I’ve watched too much politics and college football to realize this may have incredible unintended consequences that being about the result you’re trying to avoid.

Southern white Democrats kept getting mad at the liberals nominated by the national party (Humphrey, McGovern, Mondale) so they created Super Tuesday for 1988. And what happened? The two moderates (Gore and Gephart) split the white centrist vote, Dukakis got the white liberals, Jesse Jackson won six Southern states when he carried the black vote in major proportions.....and it eliminated both centrists and gave Dukakis the nomination.

It also ended the Republican competition and gave Bush two extra months to prep for the fall.

I think it was Tom Murphy who said, “The Southern primary is going to elect the next President of the United States.” Well, he was right...but not in the way intended.

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

You could make that argument......however, understanding why someone doesn't vote is the bigger question. If someone doesn't vote due to apathy -- and someone doesn't vote because they feel their voice won't count -- are two different things.

I would imagine that most Democrat voter turnout issues are due to apathy. I'm guessing most Republicans don't vote due to feeling their vote doesn't matter....

If you make it matter more -- then they will vote more. If someone is uninterested about the world -- this won't change things.

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
You could also make the argument that a lot of liberals don't vote in a state like Maryland because they know their state is more than likely to vote the same way as them anyway.
In 2014 Maryland - republicans came out due to an expected low Democrat turnout -- and elected a Republican Governor.... in 2016 when the Democrat turnout was high, the Republicans stayed home.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think it's all whistling in the dark to say stuff one way or the other. A lot of folks in Texas don't vote simply because it's a red state and the outcome is predetermined. A minimally competent person who has spent five minutes look at the electoral map can get 40 states right in the election without really knowing anything at all about handicapping elections.

The whole popular vote/Electoral College thing is such a non-entity and non-issue as to be ridiculous, and I confess amusement at places that were mocking red states not all that long ago (like TX threatening secession) NOW all of a sudden throwing the same childish hissy fit because their candidate lost.

The whole problem with the concept of "candidate X won the popular vote" - as if some injustice has occurred - is the simple fact that if we did not have the Electoral College then campaign plans would be totally different. You cannot ASSUME that just because Hillary got more votes than Trump nationwide that she would necessarily have won had there been no EC - for the simple reason that if popular votes mattered then Republicans would spend more time in places like California and New York in attempts to offset the margin (and likewise the Democrat would spend more time in the South).

I just find the hissy fit throwing hilarious. It wasn't that long ago that throwing a hissy fit over the last election meant you were a (gasp) racist.

Honest to God: I sincerely hope that Connecticut winds up throwing an election to (presumably at this point - things can change) a Republican who wins the popular vote even though the Democrat would have won the election with their electoral votes.

Just look at the margins in CT:

Hillary beat Trump by 14
Obama beat Romney (former MA governor no less) by 18 points
Obama beat McCain by 22
Kerry beat Bush by 11
Gore beat Bush (whose grandfather was a CT Senator) by 17
Clinton beat Dole by 18 and Daddy Bush by 7 (note: Perot got almost 22% of the vote in CT in 1992)

So yeah, this could be funny since it ASSUMES the Republicans will never again win the popular vote. That's funny......just two years ago, "we may never have a Republican President due to changing demographics."

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
Awesome, widespread voter fraud. More illegals and dead people voting Democratic than ever before.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/federal-eye/wp/2015/03/10/thousands-of-u-s-workers-older-than-100-that-might-be-social-security-fraud/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.00b8bb2ed62a

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/03/10/392112708/6-5-million-social-security-numbers-linked-to-those-112-or-older

SSA Admits that at least 6.5 Million Americans OVER the age of 112 are still getting benefits. Both NPR and WaPo both have reported this, so we can rest assured it MUST be true, right? :)

But have no fear! Rest assured that NONE of those active Benefits recipients are also VOTING, right?

Funny thing is - if you look at the past 8-10 presidential Elections, and you add up the difference in the Popular Vote totals. Guess what? In MOST of these elections (all but 2-3) the MARGIN in the popular vote was less than 6 Million.

Go Figure!!

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
Neither of those links showed that 6.5 million Americans over the age of 112 are still getting benefits. You're off by several orders of magnitude.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/federal-eye/wp/2015/03/10/thousands-of-u-s-workers-older-than-100-that-might-be-social-security-fraud/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.00b8bb2ed62a

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/03/10/392112708/6-5-million-social-security-numbers-linked-to-those-112-or-older

SSA Admits that at least 6.5 Million Americans OVER the age of 112 are still getting benefits. Both NPR and WaPo both have reported this, so we can rest assured it MUST be true, right? :)

But have no fear! Rest assured that NONE of those active Benefits recipients are also VOTING, right?

Funny thing is - if you look at the past 8-10 presidential Elections, and you add up the difference in the Popular Vote totals. Guess what? In MOST of these elections (all but 2-3) the MARGIN in the popular vote was less than 6 Million.

Go Figure!!
nothing in either article implies that benefits are being given for anywhere near all of the 6.5 million numbers, just that they are still active. apparently around 67 k of the numbers were used to report wages and around 3,900 were used through the e-verify system.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This is going to be so funny if the Republicans lose key states but win the popular vote. The only way this works in these states favor is if they get 270 electoral votes from states behind this. I’ll give that a less than .01 chance of happening

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I do not offer an interpretation of the virtues or demerits of the proposal.
I do find interesting how many posters interpret the proposal in light if how it will benefit or harm their political tribe.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.