Brandon Kennedy Reportedly Transferring From UA (update: x-ferring to tennessee)

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Re: Brandon Kennedy Reportedly Transferring From UA (Will be Grad-Transfer)

I never said he could tell an opposing coach anything useful. I'll agree with you there, it won't matter. Point is, if you believe he will remain loyal to his Alabama family as you wrote in the post I responded to then you are naïve. I'll say this though, if I recruited this kid and coached him for 3-4 years and he was sitting in the playing rotation whether he was starting or not, then you're darn right I would want some say-so on where he would be transferring to. You can call it controlling the player all you want but Saban and Alabama have made an investment in this player and got no return.

He graduated. He stayed out of trouble. By all accounts, he worked hard in practice to make himself and his teammates better. He more than fulfilled his side of the bargain, even if he never became a star. Let him go where he wants. A reserve lineman with one season to play does not present a "clear and present danger" to the security of the Alabama football team.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011

The SEC has a rule that does not allow graduate transfers within the conference. Stankey over-ruled the rule a couple of years ago when he allowed the DB to transfer from Bama to Georgia. He let Saban get the bad publicity for just abiding by the SEC rule. The rule either needs to apply... or completely rescind the rule.

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012

[/B]
He graduated. He stayed out of trouble. By all accounts, he worked hard in practice to make himself and his teammates better. He more than fulfilled his side of the bargain, even if he never became a star. Let him go where he wants. A reserve lineman with one season to play does not present a "clear and present danger" to the security of the Alabama football team.
I looked at the article and it said he was a redshirt sophomore so he's got more than a year to play. Missed the part where it stated he had graduated though. I shouldn't have stated that Bama got no return on their investment, that was just wrong on my part. Everybody's going to have their own opinion on whether or not he should be able to go wherever he wants, I just happen to side with the school he is transferring from having a voice in the matter. And he is a reserve lineman, but by all accounts one of our top reserve linemen. Wasn't he second string center?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I really am curious when putting in three years on the bench became holding up your end of the bargain. Look, I get some guys leave for the pros after three years, but in all of those instances, didn't they actually put in meaningful playing time? This guy got the scholarship, the training, all the benefits of being a scholarship athlete (if he was ready for the pros he could already leave, he's obviously not) and now he wants to leave under circumstances in which Alabama doesn't want him to.

I fail to see how graduating becomes the only obligation for a scholarship student athlete. He wasn't on academic, so what if he graduated? Why does all his obligation to the team end the day he graduated? Why should Alabama be forced to train a player for their rivals? Isn't that kind of a dream scenario? You don't have to use a scholarship on the guy for 3 years, don't have to use a signing slot, just get him to transfer over as a redshirt sophomore. Heck, if it's open season on that may be Alabama should start stashing guys at other SEC schools...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I really am curious when putting in three years on the bench became holding up your end of the bargain.
He was not sitting on the bench by choice, and he got injured so severely that he lost most of last season while playing for Alabama. So only starting makes his time at Alabama worthy? All that time practicing and helping make his teammates better doesn't matter?

It can't be about that. Really, it can't be. Not everyone can start, but everyone contributes, and he contributed to something pretty special.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Not everyone can start, but everyone contributes, and he contributed to something pretty special.
He's got two more years and Alabama doesn't want him to leave! That's pertinent isn't it? You can say it's really not about that, but he's the one that wants to go to a rival. He wants to quit the team and go play for a rival. You'd be big on a guy going to Ohio State for three years then leaving to play for Michigan once he's more ready to contribute? After three years of being coached up and prepared to play, the player is healthy and more ready and he's just like ok I'm out of here, why should quitting to play for a rival be applauded?

If Alabama had kicked him off the team after two years people would lose their minds, but it's supposed to be ok if he quits the team and joins a rival after three. I'm not sure I follow that logic...

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Easy answer - let him start.
Ok, so every single player is supposed to be able to hold the team hostage. Either you start me, or I will play for a rival. That's it huh?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

BTW, I don't blame Alabama for wanting their transferring players to follow SEC transfer rules. I just dislike the rule. And I especially dislike that these rules are selectively enforced.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Ok, so every single player is supposed to be able to hold the team hostage. Either you start me, or I will play for a rival. That's it huh?
It is this simple - let me prove my value to the NFL here or I will do so elsewhere. Kennedy will never get drafted if he stays at Alabama. He might at another SEC school. The SEC is the best conference in the country. Starting in the SEC matters.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

It is this simple - let me prove my value to the NFL here or I will do so elsewhere.
First off, he's a sophomore. And he was injured as well right? So, he's played in 10 games but it's hardly Alabama's fault he hasn't played that much. He redshirted and then got hurt, not that much time in between. To assume he won't play a lot this year is a big reach, we simply don't know that. There's a reason Alabama doesn't want him gone, and that's because he does factor into their plans. Some people are talking of him like this is his last chance, but he has two years not one. This isn't a do or die year for him.

The SEC is the best conference in the country. Starting in the SEC matters.
The SEC is not the only potential location though. Make no mistake, he's trying to stick it to Alabama. The teams being mentioned have Alabama on the schedule, are Alabama's rivals. He has choices all over the country, I have serious doubts about those being the best landing spots in terms of a career choice.

He can transfer, Alabama is letting that happen. This guy just wants to play Alabama... I fail to see why the rules should be bent and Alabama should be strong-armed into letting this happen. He has a choice. He can play for Alabama or he can play outside the SEC. That's more than fair...

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Make no mistake, he's trying to stick it to Alabama.
Wait, what? He is trying to "stick it to" Alabama?

How about this - he has a great chance of starting at TN or Auburn. Neither has a solid player ready to play center. Kennedy would be an upgrade instantly for both.

Sometimes it isn't about Alabama.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

When it is a player on scholarship at Alabama it most certainly is.
We have players leave OSU every year like this. I have never taken it as anything other than what it is - a player trying to have personal success someplace else. It isn't about Ohio State. But you can take this stuff personally if you wish to.

And, like I said, I hate the rule so understand why Kennedy would fight it, but I also understand why Saban would want it enforced equitably.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

We have players leave OSU every year like this.
Really? Does a player leave for Michigan every year and play immediately? I mean I haven't heard of that happening but may be it does... just, don't think people would take it lightly.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Really? Does a player leave for Michigan every year and play immediately? I mean I haven't heard of that happening but may be it does... just, don't think people would take it lightly.
We do the same thing that you do - try to block transfers to B1G schools. And yes, they often try to transfer to B1G schools because they are familiar with B1G schools. This is where they are from. This is where they want to play. But our conference commissioner actually enforces the rule.

I do not know of a case where a team tried to block a grad transfer within the B1G and it was allowed to happen. I do know of a few cases where schools allowed transfers within the conference. An example - Jake Rudock. He was allowed to transfer to any school by Iowa. He picked Michigan. The B1G made sure that he followed the transfer rules since he was within the B1G, and allowed it once it was clear that he was since Iowa wasn't trying to block it.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA

If he transfers to a rival school then we just need to humiliate him and that team on the field.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA

The SEC has a rule that does not allow graduate transfers within the conference. Stankey over-ruled the rule a couple of years ago when he allowed the DB to transfer from Bama to Georgia. He let Saban get the bad publicity for just abiding by the SEC rule. The rule either needs to apply... or completely rescind the rule.
Yeah, that was pretty crappy of the SEC office to allow that breach of the rule................Kirby campaigned for that player, and at the same time refused to allow some UGA players to go to Miami

Kennedy should be allowed to transfer somewhere other than an SEC school...........

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Yeah, that was pretty crappy of the SEC office to allow that breach of the rule................Kirby campaigned for that player, and at the same time refused to allow some UGA players to go to Miami
The worst part - you know that GA was violating the no contact rule while it was playing out. The only reason that Smith wanted to go to GA was because he was guaranteed a starting position in their secondary. He had one year to play and was going to be a role player for Alabama. Can't prove it, but you know that it was happening.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA

The worst part - you know that GA was violating the no contact rule while it was playing out. The only reason that Smith wanted to go to GA was because he was guaranteed a starting position in their secondary. He had one year to play and was going to be a role player for Alabama. Can't prove it, but you know that it was happening.
I wouldn't doubt there was tampering going on.............and UGA should have had their toes stomped for it............I know quite a few UGA guys who were shocked he was allowed to come to UGA.............The SEC should have forced Kirby to allow those players to go to Miami

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.