Brandon Kennedy Reportedly Transferring From UA (update: x-ferring to tennessee) - Page 5
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Re: Brandon Kennedy Reportedly Transferring From UA (Will be Grad-Transfer)

Quote Originally Posted by pastorbt View Post
    Has he said at any point that he wanted to transfer to Auburn, 10RC, or any other SEC school?
    "Sources" say yes, but he has not said anything publicly:

Redshirt sophomore offensive lineman Brandon Kennedy is interested in transferring to Auburn or Tennessee but isn’t even currently allowed to have contact with those schools, any other school in the SEC or any of the Crimson Tide’s future non-conference opponents, sources told AL.com.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Skeeterpop's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Because I trust that he won't betray his Alabama family and do that.
    Please tell me you said this in jest. If not, I am honestly speachless.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Skeeterpop's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RollTARDIS View Post
    For that reasoning to apply to the players then it would also have to apply to the coaches. Lance Thompson bounced between Bama and Auburn, Kirby stole our recruiting board on his way out the door, and Pruitt just went to Tennessee. All of those guys know all of the ďproprietaryĒ information and they are free to walk out the door to any rival at just about any moment. A player isnít going to come close to being as damaging as a coach as far as knowledge passed to a rival program goes.
    They don't sign a contract when they are hired that prohibits them going to other schools.

BamaNation First Team

So educate me here. How is this different from the Burrows situation, where I thought he was given ďpermissionĒ to speak to certain schools? Isnít he a graduate transfer?
    Is this only negative news because itís Alabama?
    Itís good to be the king, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by TiderinAZ View Post
    So educate me here. How is this different from the Burrows situation, where I thought he was given ďpermissionĒ to speak to certain schools? Isnít he a graduate transfer?
    Is this only negative news because itís Alabama?
    Itís good to be the king, I guess.
    Same thing.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Have I posted in a manner which leads you to believe me naive?

Honestly, what can he say that would help Auburn beat you? They have all of your film. They know all of your formations. They play you EVERY year.

Saban dominates his assistants when he faces them on the field. They know far more about your plays and formations and strategies than players. But Kennedy is going to make a difference? This is not about that. It is about making them weaker by not allowing them access to a very good player.

I never said he could tell an opposing coach anything useful. I'll agree with you there, it won't matter. Point is, if you believe he will remain loyal to his Alabama family as you wrote in the post I responded to then you are naÔve. I'll say this though, if I recruited this kid and coached him for 3-4 years and he was sitting in the playing rotation whether he was starting or not, then you're darn right I would want some say-so on where he would be transferring to. You can call it controlling the player all you want but Saban and Alabama have made an investment in this player and got no return.

BamaNation All-SEC

Is Kennedy not a grad transfer? If he is, isn't he free to go wherever he likes? If he isn't, then I agree with Coach's plan to limit where he can go.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by GP for Bama View Post
    I agree with this. Common sense.
    Well, yes and no. We play every team in our division plus a couple from the other side. Them not being on the schedule doesn't mean we won't meet in the SEC championship, though. I have mixed feelings on this. I don't think the impact of him providing insider info is all that great, but I do like denying our rivals a good player, even if there only a small chance we could even face that rival. Still, I think the kid did what he was supposed to do (graduate) and should be able to move on the wherever he chooses now. I don't want him to go, but if he does, I will wish him all the best.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMark. View Post
    I never said he could tell an opposing coach anything useful. I'll agree with you there, it won't matter. Point is, if you believe he will remain loyal to his Alabama family as you wrote in the post I responded to then you are naÔve. I'll say this though, if I recruited this kid and coached him for 3-4 years and he was sitting in the playing rotation whether he was starting or not, then you're darn right I would want some say-so on where he would be transferring to. You can call it controlling the player all you want but Saban and Alabama have made an investment in this player and got no return.

He graduated. He stayed out of trouble. By all accounts, he worked hard in practice to make himself and his teammates better. He more than fulfilled his side of the bargain, even if he never became a star. Let him go where he wants. A reserve lineman with one season to play does not present a "clear and present danger" to the security of the Alabama football team.

BamaNation All-American GP for Bama's Avatar

The SEC has a rule that does not allow graduate transfers within the conference. Stankey over-ruled the rule a couple of years ago when he allowed the DB to transfer from Bama to Georgia. He let Saban get the bad publicity for just abiding by the SEC rule. The rule either needs to apply... or completely rescind the rule.
    Bama 927-319-44 73.5% On the field

2017 NATIONAL CHAMPS!
    26 SEC CHAMPIONSHIPS

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEyeshade View Post
    [/B]
    He graduated. He stayed out of trouble. By all accounts, he worked hard in practice to make himself and his teammates better. He more than fulfilled his side of the bargain, even if he never became a star. Let him go where he wants. A reserve lineman with one season to play does not present a "clear and present danger" to the security of the Alabama football team.
    I looked at the article and it said he was a redshirt sophomore so he's got more than a year to play. Missed the part where it stated he had graduated though. I shouldn't have stated that Bama got no return on their investment, that was just wrong on my part. Everybody's going to have their own opinion on whether or not he should be able to go wherever he wants, I just happen to side with the school he is transferring from having a voice in the matter. And he is a reserve lineman, but by all accounts one of our top reserve linemen. Wasn't he second string center?

I really am curious when putting in three years on the bench became holding up your end of the bargain. Look, I get some guys leave for the pros after three years, but in all of those instances, didn't they actually put in meaningful playing time? This guy got the scholarship, the training, all the benefits of being a scholarship athlete (if he was ready for the pros he could already leave, he's obviously not) and now he wants to leave under circumstances in which Alabama doesn't want him to.

I fail to see how graduating becomes the only obligation for a scholarship student athlete. He wasn't on academic, so what if he graduated? Why does all his obligation to the team end the day he graduated? Why should Alabama be forced to train a player for their rivals? Isn't that kind of a dream scenario? You don't have to use a scholarship on the guy for 3 years, don't have to use a signing slot, just get him to transfer over as a redshirt sophomore. Heck, if it's open season on that may be Alabama should start stashing guys at other SEC schools...
    Apologies if I said anything that could be construed as a personal insult.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    I really am curious when putting in three years on the bench became holding up your end of the bargain.
    He was not sitting on the bench by choice, and he got injured so severely that he lost most of last season while playing for Alabama. So only starting makes his time at Alabama worthy? All that time practicing and helping make his teammates better doesn't matter?

It can't be about that. Really, it can't be. Not everyone can start, but everyone contributes, and he contributed to something pretty special.