Brandon Kennedy Reportedly Transferring From UA (update: x-ferring to tennessee) - Page 8
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame B1GTide's Avatar

Re: Brandon Kennedy Reportedly Transferring From UA (Will be Grad-Transfer)

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out why Auburn could be in his best interest. I keep hearing how that offenses like the one Gus runs is bad for NFL development, now all the sudden that's the place to go to get ready for the NFL?
    They need a starting center. That is why he is interested in Auburn and TN - neither has a solid center.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    They need a starting center. That is why he is interested in Auburn and TN - neither has a solid center.
    It could be just as benign as that. It could also be that choosing our two most hated rivals, one of which has a head coach who was at UA until the end of last season, as his potential destinations is no coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by RollTARDIS View Post
    It could be just as benign as that. It could also be that choosing our two most hated rivals, one of which has a head coach who was at UA until the end of last season, as his potential destinations is no coincidence.
    You are right - I have no idea what he is thinking. But without evidence to support that, why not give him the benefit of the doubt? He is supposed to be family, right?

There's over 100 potential targets though. Is the argument that they're the only two locations in need of a center? I'm just saying, and I've basically said this all along, that the idea of his going to Auburn being the best location to develop for the NFL is hogwash. That's not why it's the potential destination.

He lost the benefit of a doubt when he tried to violate SEC rules and transfer to Alabama's two biggest rivals. Tennessee? May be I'd give him the benefit of a doubt, but there's basically only one reason to go to Auburn, and it isn't because someone actually fooled him into thinking they're the best school to develop him for the NFL.
    Last edited by KrAzY3; May 23rd, 2018 at 06:45 AM.
    Apologies if I said anything that could be construed as a personal insult.
    "Everybody that chooses to go to the game should stay there and support the team for the game." - Nick Saban

BamaNation Hall of Fame

but there's basically only one reason to go to Auburn, and it isn't because someone actually fooled him into thinking they're the best school to develop him for the NFL.
    He wants to be fambly not family?

Quote Originally Posted by KrAzY3 View Post
    He lost the benefit of a doubt when he tried to violate SEC rules and transfer to Alabama's two biggest rivals.
    Maybe with you. I am a little more loyal than that.

BamaNation Hall of Fame JustNeedMe81's Avatar

There are plenty of other schools that needs Center. This is going to be interesting to see how SEC handles this after the last time.
    We are champions. We can prove it! *counting 15 championships*

BamaNation All-American

You are right - I have no idea what he is thinking. But without evidence to support that, why not give him the benefit of the doubt? He is supposed to be family, right?
    "Family" works both ways. If you're family why would you chose your original family's two fiercest rivals when you can go to 115 other places, including 5 in the SEC?

Without knowing all that's involved, I just can't see why you have to go to those 2 programs, especially AU who does not have an NFL type offense.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaInBham View Post
    "Family" works both ways. If you're family why would you chose your original family's two fiercest rivals when you can go to 115 other places, including 5 in the SEC?
    I can name a few very good reasons, but none will satisfy those here who have made up their minds about this young man so I won't bother.

BamaNation All-SEC

I can name a few very good reasons, but none will satisfy those here who have made up their minds about this young man so I won't bother.
    Since we are talking about a grad transfer here, I actually agree with you on this one. There is a rule, and the rule should have held through the M. Smith transfer to UGA, but it didn't. You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube (even though Mythbusters disagrees with this idiom). The kid did what he was supposed to do. He graduated, stayed with the team, waited his turn, and still will not crack the starting lineup. I think we should let him go wherever. Now if he were still an undergrad, I would be more insistent on his staying off of our future scheduled teams' rosters. Why? I have no logical reason(sometimes I go with the gut, despite what common sense or good judgment tell me). I just think the rule needs to be upheld to a point until it is officially changed. The undergrad has not yet completed all of what was asked of him, and should have to wait his time out or transfer out of conference.

Quote Originally Posted by RedWave View Post
    I just think the rule needs to be upheld to a point until it is officially changed.
    This. Either we have rules we abide by or we don't - which is it?

Don't like it? Change the rules, but quit asking for preferential treatment.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

I support Saban's decision to try and enforce a rule that is on the books. I am not sure that I would make the same choice, but I simply do not know what he knows, so defer to him here. And, by the way, it is a rule. Hard to get on a guy like Saban for enforcing a rule.

At the same time I support Kennedy in his attempt to further his career wherever he thinks that his future is best served. It isn't up to me to pick his next training ground for the NFL, and I don't have to pay the penalty if he chooses poorly.

These two things are not mutually exclusive. I support them both and will be satisfied no matter what the SEC office decides. No matter what happens here, Alabama is going to be just fine.

BamaNation Second Team

My only problem with this freedom of transfer idea, is that it penalizes the universities that put more effort into GRADUATING their athletes. Isn’t that the point of being a student athlete? CNS has done a good job of emphasizing the importance of education and ensuring his players get their degrees. Why should that benefit another athletic team, that maybe doesn’t put as much emphasis on academics?