Brandon Kennedy Reportedly Transferring From UA (update: x-ferring to tennessee)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: Brandon Kennedy Reportedly Transferring From UA (Will be Grad-Transfer)

This

Transfer but you cant go to a team your old team plays against the next year. You have to maintain some level of privacy with teams you are about ti play. Anyone who disagrees has not coached at a competitive level or been held accountable for W and L.
You really believe that this is about the playbook? I believe it is about weakening the competition by not allowing them to add a very good player who might help them beat you on the field. Nothing wrong with that, in and of itself. I just don't think that players who graduate should be a part of the that calculation. They have earned the right, by graduating, to play wherever they wish.

Want him to stay at Alabama and not transfer to a rival - let him start. Don't have room for him as a starter - let him go wherever he feels he has the best chance to prepare for the rest of his life.

RollTARDIS

Scout Team
Nov 22, 2017

Dont forget many high profile companies and jobs have a "Non Compete" clause. When you take that position you sign an agreement which every student athlete does the exact same thing. They entered into a contract of their own choosing. If they decide to leave for whatever reason they must honor their end of that committment. You have been a part of something proprietary, something unique and in order for that company or school to stay unique in its own way they have to maintain a sense of control and ownership over what makes them different and unique. Major sports programs are no different in this sense. They want to keep that edge over the competition at least in the short term and immediate future.

These student athletes are not being punished, nor are they being handcuffed. There are 100+ other D1 schools they are free to transfer too. The problem with society today is no one wants to ultimately be responsible for their choices and actions. They want to do as they please no matter what they agree too or commit too. Its the everyone gets a trophy syndrome and rules dont matter if I decide I dont agree with them later. Life is not always fair or constant chocolates and rainbows. Its time to grow up and realize they are in the real world now.
For that reasoning to apply to the players then it would also have to apply to the coaches. Lance Thompson bounced between Bama and Auburn, Kirby stole our recruiting board on his way out the door, and Pruitt just went to Tennessee. All of those guys know all of the “proprietary” information and they are free to walk out the door to any rival at just about any moment. A player isn’t going to come close to being as damaging as a coach as far as knowledge passed to a rival program goes.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
Brandon Kennedy Reportedly Transferring From UA (Will be Grad-Transfer)

I don’t like what I’m about to say from a competitive standpoint, but as he is a graduate of the university, they shouldn’t appear to own him or be able to dictate anything about his future if he chooses to leave after earning a degree. I don’t blame UA for using the stipulation, and I even think it was generous to apply it so minimally. It is allowed and it would be a disadvantage to not apply the rule. But I think the rule should be changed, especially for graduates.
As a graduate of the University he can go to any school he wants. He just can’t play NCAA football at another school in the same conference. I think this rule makes some sense and helps stem the flood of transfers at least just a little bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
Brandon Kennedy Reportedly Transferring From UA (Will be Grad-Transfer)

Want him to stay at Alabama and not transfer to a rival - let him start.
Who’s controlling whom in this scenario?

This line of thinking could open the door to any number of “if I don’t start I’m going to transfer“ situations That a coach/program has to deal with it.

Last edited:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

As a graduate of the University he can go to any school he wants. He just can’t play NCAA football at another school in the same conference. I think this rule makes some sense and helps stem the flood of transfers at least just a little bit

I agree. This whole victimization scenario that is painted by some folks seems ludicrous to me. These guys already have a very sweet deal despite what some people try to say, and they FREELY choose which school to attend and know the rules regarding transfers. If they want to transfer, they are FREE to do so. They can attend any of 120 other schools that will offer them a scholarship, or they are FREE to pay their own way to any school. This insane notion that it makes it seem like the schools own the players is just twisted beyond rational comprehension. If being owned meant that I would have had my tuition, room, books, food, some clothing, medical care, and athletic training paid for me while I got to play a game that I loved and be treated like royalty on campus and be FREE to walk away from the deal WHENEVER I FELT LIKE IT, then UA could have come out and said they owned me for all I care because I would have recognized what a great deal I had. That is, of course, just my opinion.
Edit- I will add this to stay with the original post. I wish Brandon Kennedy nothing but the best of luck in his future and thank him for his time at UA. I hope he enjoyed his time in Tuscaloosa as much as I did.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I agree. This whole victimization scenario that is painted by some folks seems ludicrous to me. These guys already have a very sweet deal despite what some people try to say, and they FREELY choose which school to attend and know the rules regarding transfers. .
I agree with this, and few players play the victim card. As far as I know, Kennedy has not. But the rule needs to be changed, IMO. Clearly I am not in the majority.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I think the rule ought to be changed but the rule shouldn't be bent whenever it involves an Alabama graduate transfer. If Sankey does this again as with Maurice Smith in 2016, I think Greg Bryne ought to go talk with the ACC commish just to sweat Sankey a bit and maybe see if the grass is greener. Lets change the rule for next academic year but Brandon Kennedy is gonna have to adjust his expectations.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I think the rule ought to be changed but the rule shouldn't be bent whenever it involves an Alabama graduate transfer. If Sankey does this again as with Maurice Smith in 2016, I think Greg Bryne ought to go talk with the ACC commish just to sweat Sankey a bit and maybe see if the grass is greener. Lets change the rule for next academic year but Brandon Kennedy is gonna have to adjust his expectations.
Totally agree with this. Change the rule. But until it is changed, it should apply to everyone. Sadly that just doesn't happen anymore. Rules are applied selectively.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

This right here.

I am sick and bloody tired of UA being the test case every time this stuff happens. Byrne and Saban should tell Sankey to pound sand.

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012

Because I trust that he won't betray his Alabama family and do that.
You are an intelligent poster but this is just naïve. So if he were to transfer to AU you don't think he would be sitting in GM's office the week before the game answering questions?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

You are an intelligent poster but this is just naïve. So if he were to transfer to AU you don't think he would be sitting in GM's office the week before the game answering questions?
Have I posted in a manner which leads you to believe me naive?

Honestly, what can he say that would help Auburn beat you? They have all of your film. They know all of your formations. They play you EVERY year.

Saban dominates his assistants when he faces them on the field. They know far more about your plays and formations and strategies than players. But Kennedy is going to make a difference? This is not about that. It is about making them weaker by not allowing them access to a very good player.

Last edited:

pastorbt

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 9, 2017

Has he said at any point that he wanted to transfer to Auburn, 10RC, or any other SEC school?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Has he said at any point that he wanted to transfer to Auburn, 10RC, or any other SEC school?
"Sources" say yes, but he has not said anything publicly:

Redshirt sophomore offensive lineman Brandon Kennedy is interested in transferring to Auburn or Tennessee but isn’t even currently allowed to have contact with those schools, any other school in the SEC or any of the Crimson Tide’s future non-conference opponents, sources told AL.com.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008

Because I trust that he won't betray his Alabama family and do that.
Please tell me you said this in jest. If not, I am honestly speachless.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008

For that reasoning to apply to the players then it would also have to apply to the coaches. Lance Thompson bounced between Bama and Auburn, Kirby stole our recruiting board on his way out the door, and Pruitt just went to Tennessee. All of those guys know all of the “proprietary” information and they are free to walk out the door to any rival at just about any moment. A player isn’t going to come close to being as damaging as a coach as far as knowledge passed to a rival program goes.
They don't sign a contract when they are hired that prohibits them going to other schools.

TiderinAZ

1st Team
Sep 20, 2015
Carefree, AZ

So educate me here. How is this different from the Burrows situation, where I thought he was given “permission” to speak to certain schools? Isn’t he a graduate transfer?
Is this only negative news because it’s Alabama?
It’s good to be the king, I guess. :conf2:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

So educate me here. How is this different from the Burrows situation, where I thought he was given “permission” to speak to certain schools? Isn’t he a graduate transfer?
Is this only negative news because it’s Alabama?
It’s good to be the king, I guess. :conf2:
Same thing.

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012

Have I posted in a manner which leads you to believe me naive?

Honestly, what can he say that would help Auburn beat you? They have all of your film. They know all of your formations. They play you EVERY year.

Saban dominates his assistants when he faces them on the field. They know far more about your plays and formations and strategies than players. But Kennedy is going to make a difference? This is not about that. It is about making them weaker by not allowing them access to a very good player.

I never said he could tell an opposing coach anything useful. I'll agree with you there, it won't matter. Point is, if you believe he will remain loyal to his Alabama family as you wrote in the post I responded to then you are naïve. I'll say this though, if I recruited this kid and coached him for 3-4 years and he was sitting in the playing rotation whether he was starting or not, then you're darn right I would want some say-so on where he would be transferring to. You can call it controlling the player all you want but Saban and Alabama have made an investment in this player and got no return.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx

Is Kennedy not a grad transfer? If he is, isn't he free to go wherever he likes? If he isn't, then I agree with Coach's plan to limit where he can go.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx

I agree with this. Common sense.
Well, yes and no. We play every team in our division plus a couple from the other side. Them not being on the schedule doesn't mean we won't meet in the SEC championship, though. I have mixed feelings on this. I don't think the impact of him providing insider info is all that great, but I do like denying our rivals a good player, even if there only a small chance we could even face that rival. Still, I think the kid did what he was supposed to do (graduate) and should be able to move on the wherever he chooses now. I don't want him to go, but if he does, I will wish him all the best.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.