QB Joe Burrow decides to transfer from Ohio State

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
Well, unless they`ve changed since I lived in NOLA in the late 80`s and amongst the LSU faithful, there`s a surprisingly large contingent that are genuinely convinced that they`ve already, at the very least, got the West in the bag, if not the SEC as a whole. They are an amazing bunch. You have to live there to truly appreciate it. And if they win a couple of ball games?? That`s it..... it`s over....national champs, no question. Maybe the last 7 years has tempered them a bit, but I doubt it.
A lot has happened in the last 30 years, and specifically the last 6. Your statements are not close to accurate, at least amongst the many LSU faithful that I know or come across. I think you’ll find a largely negative outlook if you can stomach tiger droppings, although the Burrow addition does improve the outlook of the team and the position.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
A lot has happened in the last 30 years, and specifically the last 6. Your statements are not close to accurate, at least amongst the many LSU faithful that I know or come across. I think you’ll find a largely negative outlook if you can stomach tiger droppings, although the Burrow addition does improve the outlook of the team and the position.
Since it`s been so long since I was there, I`ll certainly defer to you. Again, that`s just how it was. I guess no fan base is immune to moving to pessimism. Years of beat downs will do that, I suppose.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The biggest positive for LSU is that someone else has been coaching this quarterback. I have no confidence in LSU's ability to develop quarterbacks at this juncture.

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
Since it`s been so long since I was there, I`ll certainly defer to you. Again, that`s just how it was. I guess no fan base is immune to moving to pessimism. Years of beat downs will do that, I suppose.
As much as I hate to admit it, yes, years of losing has indeed changed the pulse of the fan base.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I'd take LSU's 2012 to present over Alabama's 2000 to 2007. They've mostly had really good teams over this "down period" while Alabama had maybe a couple of teams that were competitive. Success distorts many things but especially when things are not quite as good as usual.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I'd take LSU's 2012 to present over Alabama's 2000 to 2007. They've mostly had really good teams over this "down period" while Alabama had maybe a couple of teams that were competitive. Success distorts many things but especially when things are not quite as good as usual.
Not me because of Shula put those numbers up he wouldn't be fired. Ogre will be canned because he is mediocrity after they have had excellence and they won't stand for mediocrity for long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Those two time periods aren't even remotely comparable.

Alabama was 53-46 over that time (6.6-5.8 record) while being on probation and suffering scholarship reductions.

LSU has gone 54-22 since the 2011 season (9-3.7 record).

While winning leads to arrogance and some extremely high expectations, I believe LSU fans can see what is happening and realize the downward spiral the program is heading towards.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Those two time periods aren't even remotely comparable.

Alabama was 53-46 over that time (6.6-5.8 record) while being on probation and suffering scholarship reductions.

LSU has gone 54-22 since the 2011 season (9-3.7 record).

While winning leads to arrogance and some extremely high expectations, I believe LSU fans can see what is happening and realize the downward spiral the program is heading towards.
Thing is, though, I don't have any recollection of LSU being any good until they got Nick Saban as their coach. To me, they were just another team we beat pretty much every year, with an odd upset now and then. Going back to before my time, I might find that I am wrong about them historically, but we had to pay property tax in Baton Rouge for a long time because we owned them.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
Thing is, though, I don't have any recollection of LSU being any good until they got Nick Saban as their coach. To me, they were just another team we beat pretty much every year, with an odd upset now and then. Going back to before my time, I might find that I am wrong about them historically, but we had to pay property tax in Baton Rouge for a long time because we owned them.
LSu historically has been an "above average" program - going to bowls most years, but most of the time not "world beater". They won a NC in the 1950's when Alabama was in the tank. - But heck, I think every team in the SEC won a NC during the Whitworth era.... ;)

They had a pretty good coach in the 60's and 70's - "Chollie Mac" McClendon (shocker- a Bryant Disciple from his time at Kentucky). McClendon had some darn good teams and might have dominated the SEC in those two decades..... If not for "you know who".

Then they had a pretty good coach for a couple years in the 1980's - Bill Arnsparger - who would have dominated the SEC for years, except that he could only stomach about two years in Baton Rouge before resigning to take the AD job at Florida (Factoid: Arsparger is credited with hiring Steve Spurrier in December 1989).

And other than that, LSu has pretty much been a mediocre program up to the time they hired Nick Saban. But give Les Miles some credit - Les was himself a pretty medocre coach (in terms of W's and L's) prior to taking the LSu job - but he managed to keep that "machine" running pretty well for nearly a decade - and that's pretty rare territory for a "Caretaker" type coach.

FWIW, I give "sling blade" Ogeron about another two years - three max. Unless he can pull and upset over us. That would be worth another 2-3 years, assuming he's winning around 8-9 games a year otherwise.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.