Link: Great story about how Coach Bryant's influence is still bringing in great recruits

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
That's pretty cool. Young man has his head on straight. Hope it stays that way. Dad must be very proud.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Great story. We'll hear the of the legend of CNS for the rest of our lives, long after he heads to the lake. We have a pretty good idea how that will go because those of us who saw CPB coach know how his legend has grown during our lives.

How lucky are we? We've got arguably the two best coaches to ever coach the college game!

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
Great story. We'll hear the of the legend of CNS for the rest of our lives, long after he heads to the lake. We have a pretty good idea how that will go because those of us who saw CPB coach know how his legend has grown during our lives.

How lucky are we? We've got arguably the two best coaches to ever coach the college game!
Great Read!!!

Not to hijack the thread, but I can't image any serious student of the game who wouldn't (at worst) have both Bryant and Saban in their top 5, if not their Top-2.

And for "my nickel" I think Wade (and probably Gene Stallings as well) should be in almost any Top-10.

The University of Alabama football program certainly has enjoyed a "Charmed" existence!

We'll be reading articles like this 20-30 years from now.... Well, at least those of us who are still around (probably won't be me!) ;)

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I thought it was interesting the shot put ring was in the shadow of the tower. I'm guessing the football practice field isn't on top of the track and field team's practice areas today?

I like Stallings, but no way I'd put him on the all time top ten list. His record was pretty terrible outside of Alabama.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I thought it was interesting the shot put ring was in the shadow of the tower. I'm guessing the football practice field isn't on top of the track and field team's practice areas today?

I like Stallings, but no way I'd put him on the all time top ten list. His record was pretty terrible outside of Alabama.
True. Frank Thomas should be top 25-35. He won 80+% of his games, 2-1 in Rose Bowl, 4-2 in major bowls, won first 2 SECCs, 4 overall, 1 NC (I don't count '41), had 10-0 '45 team that was 2nd behind Army. He coached Hutson, Howell, Bryant, Mancha, Gilmer, Johnny Cain, Don Whitmire, Riley Smith, Domnanovich ?sp?, et al, most of whom are in the college football HOF, as he is. I think he coached a 3rd of Bama's HOFers, more than Coach Bryant at this point.

Bama has had 5 coaches who coached 7 years or more with an 80+ winning %: Wade(8), Thomas(14), Bryant(25), Stallings(7), Saban(11). Only 3 other coaches in the history of the SEC have an 80+ winning %: Neyland, Spurrier, Meyer (6 years). Most have only 1, 2 or 0 with 70+. AU has one with a 70+, Pat Dye at 71%. Only one other college program has even 3 at 80+, ND with Rockne, Leahy, Parseghian. OU has 2, USC 1, Neb 2, OSU 2 including Meyer, Mich 2, Texas 0, PSU 0.

Last edited:

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
Yep, it was quite different back then. There was one practice field for the football team and I didn't know where the track team practiced but I can see it being right there. Today, the track team has their own stadium.

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
Great Read!!!
Not to hijack the thread, but I can't image any serious student of the game who wouldn't (at worst) have both Bryant and Saban in their top 5, if not their Top-2.
And for "my nickel" I think Wade (and probably Gene Stallings as well) should be in almost any Top-10.
The University of Alabama football program certainly has enjoyed a "Charmed" existence!
We'll be reading articles like this 20-30 years from now.... Well, at least those of us who are still around (probably won't be me!) ;)
I agree that we truly have been blessed. I attended UA during the 70's and my son was in the MDB during 2 of CNS' National Championships. It has been a great time to be a Bama fan. Of course, there have been other great times too but nothing like we are getting to experience right now...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I agree that we truly have been blessed. I attended UA during the 70's and my son was in the MDB during 2 of CNS' National Championships. It has been a great time to be a Bama fan. Of course, there have been other great times too but nothing like we are getting to experience right now...
I feel lucky to have spanned all the way from 1957, as a freshman, til today...

bama61

1st Team
Aug 24, 2004
North Alabama
I feel lucky to have spanned all the way from 1957, as a freshman, til today...
Yep, its been a good ride hasn't it? A lot of highs and enough lows to make you appreciate the highs.... I can hardly wait to see what comes next, for me every August is like the day before Christmas!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.