New MNF Crew Announced

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Losing money? Not even close. Reduced profits? Maybe. But they are making billions.
They have reason to be very concerned. Following is a link to a Forbes 10/23/17 article, with an excerpt below.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/briang...ut-faces-limits-on-its-response/#6fca92ca4212

Last year, the NFL lost about a million regular-season viewers versus the 2013 and 2014 seasons. It represented about a 6% fall-off ― enough to be easily noticed and maybe even cause a little concern, but it could be written off as a one-year blip.

Last year's seepage has turned into a major break in the dam. The league is now down about three million viewers per game from 2013 and 2014. When the specific teams appearing, the scope of the telecast and the week of the season are taken into account, the decline is even more dramatic: more than four million viewers, or in excess of 20%.
From other articles, Business Insider and Forbes, viewership has dropped from 19.6 (from Forbes in 2015) in to 14.9 (BI) in 2017. That is a massive 24%. Of course this is why the NFL recently passed a rule regarding something as "small" as the national anthem. However large or small this might be it was something that they could do. There are certainly other reasons, but they are desperate to stop the hemorrhaging. They are still doing well, but a ~24% decline is more than alarming. (Caveat - some of the numbers are different according to the publication.)

Just Google: "NFL financial losses" and you can find plenty of info on this. Maybe someone can get a more precise falloff than I got. I don't have the time.

Edit: I did check on one more article - from Clay Travis. He reports 11/17 that the NFL could lose up to $500 million in the 2017 season.

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/nfl-tv-partners-set-lose-500-million-ratings-decline/

Last edited:

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
the NFL/money aint going nowhere. They have been made out to be "concerned" for various reasons at various times since at least 1985 that i can remember.. Yet they continue to grow each decade.
Would you not be concerned about a 20-25% viewership loss from 2015-2017 ? And there's no single issue that explains it. I assume they are still making money, though they supposedly lost up to $500 mil in 2017.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Would you not be concerned about a 20-25% viewership loss from 2015-2017 ? And there's no single issue that explains it. I assume they are still making money, though they supposedly lost up to $500 mil in 2017.
The NFL owners are still making just as much money. The broadcasters are the ones at risk of losing money - but they are losing money on just about every football deal they have written, including college football. Heck, network television viewership is down across the board.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
The NFL owners are still making just as much money. The broadcasters are the ones at risk of losing money - but they are losing money on just about every football deal they have written, including college football. Heck, network television viewership is down across the board.
They may still be making money but it is changing for any new contracts, for merchandise, the value of their franchises, etc. The owners are definitely very concerned. That is why they passed the recent "national anthem" rule. IMO, they're flailing around looking for anything they might do. I had no idea that their viewership had declined so precipitously til I made the post the other morning.

Anyone would be concerned if they lost 20-25% of their viewership in the past 2 years.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
They may still be making money but it is changing for any new contracts, for merchandise, the value of their franchises, etc. The owners are definitely very concerned. That is why they passed the recent "national anthem" rule. IMO, they're flailing around looking for anything they might do. I had no idea that their viewership had declined so precipitously til I made the post the other morning.

Anyone would be concerned if they lost 20-25% of their viewership in the past 2 years.
The weird thing about the viewership numbers is that it doesn't account for online streaming. The NFL also makes up for it with the conference championship games and the super bowl. Probably one of the highest anticipated national championship game (Bama vs ND) couldn't even come close to the viewership of one the least anticipated superbowls (Baltimore vs SF) in the very same year in views.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
The Carolina Panthers just sold for $2.3 Billion and there were several entities making bids. The last team that sold was the Buffalo Bills for $1.4 Billion in 2014. Any NFL team will now sell for > $2 Billion. All of these other issues - deflatgate, spygate, concussions, national anthem etc. - are not hurting valuations of NFL teams which is the only real thing owners care about..

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.