China Assigns Citizens A ‘Social Credit Score’ To Identify Who Is / Isn’t Trustworthy

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Yah, this is a great idea.

When Liu Hu recently tried to book a flight, he was told he was banned from flying because he was on the list of untrustworthy people. Liu is a journalist who was ordered by a court to apologize for a series of tweets he wrote and was then told his apology was insincere.

“I can’t buy property. My child can’t go to a private school,” he said. “You feel you’re being controlled by the list all the time.”

And the list is now getting longer as every Chinese citizen is being assigned a social credit score — a fluctuating rating based on a range of behaviors. It’s believed that community service and buying Chinese-made products can raise your score. Fraud, tax evasion and smoking in non-smoking areas can drop it.
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2018/04...core-to-identify-who-is-and-isnt-trustworthy/

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL

Black Mirror’s ‘Nosedive’ episode is about to become reality in China

Another day, another terrifying Black Mirror prediction come true. This time, it’s season three’s ‘Nosedive’ episode.

In the opener to Black Mirror‘s third season, members of Charlie Brooker’s dystopian society are judged by a numeric rating given to them by their interactions with other people – better interactions can lead to a higher rating, while bad ones lead to a lower one. With lower ratings, lesser opportunities are available and vice versa, leading to the protagonist’s life crumbling after she receives too many negative votes from her peers.

Now, Chinese authorities are apparently trialling a new social credit system which sounds eerily reminiscent of Brooker’s vision.

As the Telegraph report, citizens will be ‘scored’ between 350 and 950. Good deeds such as donating blood, charity work or posting positive messages about the country will result in a higher rating.

Last edited:

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
That was my first thought. I don't watch Black Mirror a lot (I don't watch much TV at all), and this story was interesting. My daughter said the Chinese were going to something like this.
"Harrison Bergeron" was my first thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
I have to admit, as much as I despise this sort of government overreach, if they applied it only to drivers I might be able to stomach it... :)
It already exists and is currently in beta testing where participants voluntarily opt in. I have yet to see anyone with an Auburn sticker/tag on their car that seems to have any semblance of driving skill.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
From the article:
“I think people in every country want a stable and safe society,” she says.

“If, as our government says, every corner of public space is installed with cameras, I’ll feel safe.”

If the powers at be wanted to do this in America this would be the best selling point to push to the millennial generation and younger. They would take it hook, line and sinker. It could be advertised and pushed as "For you and your children's safety..."

Last edited:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
From the article:

If the powers at be wanted to do this in America this would be the best selling point to push to the millennial's generation and younger. They would take it hook, line and sinker. It could be advertised and pushed as "For you and your children's safety..."
Not entirely sure that is accurate. I certainly don't speak for all millennial's but everyone I know would be 100% against this.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Not entirely sure that is accurate. I certainly don't speak for all millennial's but everyone I know would be 100% against this.
It's neither accurate or inaccurate, it's just my opinion. You can see evidence in how our society acts from a social aspect that packaged the right way they'd go for it, or at least a version of it. It's nothing more than a government implemented hyper-stereotyping system. Heck, people by nature love to stereotype. Even those who claim they're against stereotyping. People stereotype in many forms everyday of their lives. Actually, I think I'm going to correct my original statement, I think packaged the right way a lot of people (regardless of generation and age) would be for something like this.

Q: Have a history of mental health issues? A: Yes. Risks and Potential action to be taken: Has higher risk of going nuts with a gun and killing people. Let's put him/her on a list or if they grade out bad enough not allow them to own a gun.

Sound familiar? These are conversations and suggestions being had in our country today with regard to gun safety and gun control. China is just going further with the same process and trying to predict and prevent certain behavior by gathering all this information. Insurance companies do this in their business model actuaries. People who drive red cars have more wrecks. Their premiums are higher. China is simply doing this on a larger scale in the name of safety and for the good of the whole. You can tell by the 36 yr old woman's response that it's being sold like that. I think it could gain support in this country.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.