Another NCAA brilliant rule on the number of headsets in use.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
The NCAA approved a rule limiting the number people who can communicate through headsets during a game to 20 per team, including 15 coaches. Headsets used for game operations, security, or medical do not count among the 20 for a team.

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-rule-limits-football-teams-20-people-headsets-213031940--ncaaf.html

This seems to be another one of those unenforceable rules that committees come up with. I foresee a few problems with this. First there is the need for someone to watch the other teams press box while keeping an eye on the sideline at the same time. Then what if one person takes off his headset and hands it to the 21st person--that is still just 20 people on headsets. And then there is that medical tent to hide in and talk football.

Just one more example of power gone mad. Lets make a rule no one can enforce and pretend we did awesomeness.

Last edited:

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
Bama must’ve had 21 or 22 people on headsets this past season, so they had to pass a rule to cut that out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I truly can't wait for the College Football League to happen when the power five breaks off from NCAA football.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Just out of curiosity.......who should wear a headset during a game?

I'm assuming the head coach (1) plus all assistant coaches (13).

That leaves 6 more, right?

Who gets those headsets?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Just out of curiosity.......who should wear a headset during a game?

I'm assuming the head coach (1) plus all assistant coaches (13).

That leaves 6 more, right?

Who gets those headsets?
I would assume specific game situation analysts. Say, 3rd down and x distance to go, you have an analyst who has studied their tendencies.

UAEE93

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 14, 2008
15 for coaches, 4 for players, 1 non coach, like play charter.

From another story: “In addition, one communication technician in the team area and one more in the coaches’ booth may be allowed to monitor the coaching headsets to address any technical issues that may arise.”

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcspor...its-teams-to-using-20-headsets-during-a-game/

I thought anyone could listen, the old rule limits the number who can talk.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I am not going to bother to read any article on this so what is the punishment for having 21 headsets? Vacated games?
No. If a school has 21 people on headsets, then the letters forming the acronym of their school are stricken from the English alphabet. If UA breaks the rule, the letters "U" and "A" are stricken from the English alphabet.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I suppose the brain trust at NCAA does not know about the newest tech advancement called cell phones. I think coaches and analists already have them. Number 21 thru 35 will use them.

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
Re: Another NCAA brillian rule on the number of headsets in use.

Just the other day I was watching a college football game and I thought to myself, "You know, the thing ruining college football is that there are 21 people on headsets..."
You know, I've often said the same thing. This should make the game much more enjoyable now. #waytogoncaa

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Re: Another NCAA brillian rule on the number of headsets in use.

The NCAA has hired a new compliance officer to enforce this rule:

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.