Did not realize Tony Brown did not get drafted. Anyone else surprised?

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I guess I'm starting to slip a bit but I didn't realize Tony Brown didn't even get drafted. I have to say I'm somewhat surprised. Any particular reason someone with the physical tools as Brown can go through the entire draft and not at least get drafted? I watch the draft every year and normally by the fifth and sixth rounds they start taking guys from some schools I never even heard of, and I'll sit there and ask, "Is that guy really more talented than the ten other guys from D-1 that I've watched play for three to four years?" I cannot believe Tony Brown didn't even get drafted. WOW! Granted, he's since been picked up by the Chargers but good night alive. Hard to believe he wasn't at least as good of an NFL prospect as some of the guys I saw drafted in the last two rounds. :conf2:

Last edited:

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Tony's always had the physical tools, but the mental tools never quite caught up. He's a great prospect as a UDFA; it's possible that he will flourish in a defensive system that isn't as complex as Saban's.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Given his attitude and ability to get beat despite being the fastest player on D, I'm not surprised.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Tony wasn't that great in covering people in my view. I know the NFL places too much emphasis on measurables, but I'm not very surprised he didn't get drafted. I hope he succeeds.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Not surprised. He just had that kinda Jekyll and Hyde kinda game always in that he could look like an elite dB one moment and look like the most targeted dB the next. Pretty much any big pass play that you can think of the last 2 years chances are good that it was on tony’s Side. I think he can make it in the NFL, but he is going to be better at covering and reading offenses.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
Tony never lived up to what he is capable of being. It was a shame. He could have been so good. Phsyically, he looks like a Greek god, but he never played like one. I wasn't really surprised, but I thought someone would take a chance on him in the later rounds.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Tony got a 5-6 round draft grade, but he also had some baggage. That led to the UFA result. Sounds like he is working his way past that. I am happy for him.

mark4tide

1st Team
Mar 7, 2005
Hoover, AL
I think Tony was one of those guys who needed to grow up a lot and never did that. I really think it was his attitude that held him back.

bamapuppy

1st Team
Mar 28, 2008
Hillsborough, NC
I don't have the link, but I read that the Chargers were really impressed with Tony, and from what I read, he might have a real chance of making the team. One of the comments from the coaching staff was that Tony picked up the system really fast, and that they would be able to use him at corner, or safety either one. And, I know that would come as no surprise to anyone that has followed the young man's career. I don't think that anyone would argue that the young man has the skills, or the ability to be a corner / safety in the NFL. If Tony Brown can get his ducks in a row, he could be the biggest steal in this years draft. JMHO

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
I don't have the link, but I read that the Chargers were really impressed with Tony, and from what I read, he might have a real chance of making the team. One of the comments from the coaching staff was that Tony picked up the system really fast, and that they would be able to use him at corner, or safety either one. And, I know that would come as no surprise to anyone that has followed the young man's career. I don't think that anyone would argue that the young man has the skills, or the ability to be a corner / safety in the NFL. If Tony Brown can get his ducks in a row, he could be the biggest steal in this years draft. JMHO
I fear Tony would struggle at corner against elite speed at WR. However, he could make a serious impact as a safety, able to support on running plays or cover when necessary. My guess is the issues that led to him being an UDFA had less to do with his strength and skills as opposed to, well, everything else. But I'm rooting for him. Hope he is All Pro in two years. Even if not, he'll end up on some highlight films, no doubt.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This true. The HC seemed pleased with him at corner and added that he had some skills at free safety also. One of the biggest things to learn is when to keep his mouth shut. I really don't know what defense they run. In Saban's defenses, there's not a lot of difference, according to him, in free and strong safety roles. May not be true for the Chargers. Maybe free safety for them is more of a free-ranging center fielder. I think that would help Tony, although the HC did say that he was a quick learner...

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
I think it's more about "control".....he strikes me as someone who has been "A Man" since he was 8 years old.... The whole "Crazy Tony" thing is likely a way to deal with stress/rage...
He definitely needs to learn to how to control his emotions, but that is a big part of maturing.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.