Genealogist Trolls Fox News Commentator Over Immigrant Comments

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Genealogist Trolls Tomi Lahren Over Comments on Immigrants

Lahren in a Saturday appearance on Fox News’ “Watters’ World” defended White House chief of staff John Kelly’s controversial comments in an interview with NPR that the vast majority of people who come illegally to the United States, while not “bad people,” do not “integrate well,” don’t speak English, have elementary school educations and “don’t have skills.”

In her remarks, Lahren said the United States is not a country based on people who come to it with “low skills, low education” and “not understanding the language.”

“That's not what this country is based on,” said Lahren, who argued the U.S. also did not to import more poverty.

Jennifer Mendelsohn, the creator of the #resistancegeneaolgy campaign, which highlights the backgrounds of people who criticize immigrants, looked up Lahren’s geneology and claimed her ancestors were also people who came to the United States not speaking English.

“Tomi's 3x great-grandmother had been here for 41 years and still spoke German,” Mendelsohn wrote. “Her 2nd great-grandmother had been here for 10 yrs. Spoke no English. “Her great-grandfather's 1895 baptism from MN? Recorded in Norwegian.”
https://twitter.com/CleverTitleTK/status/995680514974650368

https://twitter.com/abc/status/995680514974650368

Has to suck when your ancestors let you down so spectacularly in your anti-immigration campaign.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I love that we have such accurate records to know that someone's 3x Great Grandmother lived here for 41 years yet spoke no English....

BUT - we can't tell for sure how many dead people are getting social security checks each month....today

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/02/AR2007030200830.html

WASHINGTON -- Democrat Barack Obama, who would be the first black president, has white ancestors who owned slaves, according to a genealogical researcher.

The researcher, William Addams Reitwiesner, says the discovery is part of his first draft of research into Obama's roots. Obama's father was from Kenya and his mother was a white woman from Kansas.

Obama wrote in his autobiography, "Dreams from My Father," that while one of his great-great-grandfathers was a decorated Union soldier, family rumors also say he is distantly related to Jefferson Davis, president of the Confederacy.

ad_icon
Reitwiesner found in 1850 Census records from Kentucky that one of Obama's great-great-great-great grandfathers, George Washington Overall, owned a 15-year-old girl and a 25-year-old man. The same records show that one of Obama's great-great-great-great-great-grandmothers, Mary Duvall, also owned two black slaves _ a 60-year-old man and a 58-year-old woman.

The Baltimore Sun first reported Reitwiesner's work and asked genealogical experts to review it, but they would not confirm the findings.

Obama spokesman Bill Burton said the senator's ancestors "are representative of America."

"While a relative owned slaves, another fought for the Union in the Civil War," Burton said. "And it is a true measure of progress that the descendant of a slave owner would come to marry a student from Kenya and produce a son who would grow up to be a candidate for president of the United States."
Ancestors suck!

CajunCrimson

Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
the reporter used the actual census data from when the lady was alive.
and we know how accurate census data can be......I mean, Philadelphia has 108% voter turnout one year, didn't they?

All I'm saying is -- that the lady may have been trying to learn English....couldn't she? Isn't that the point here? An attempt at blending into society? Wasn't that the point Tomi is trying to make?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
and we know how accurate census data can be......I mean, Philadelphia has 108% voter turnout one year, didn't they?

All I'm saying is -- that the lady may have been trying to learn English....couldn't she? Isn't that the point here? An attempt at blending into society? Wasn't that the point Tomi is trying to make?
i think you are getting your bs talking points confused. regardless, that would be voting data, not census data.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I hate to interject in this, but I wonder about two questions.
1. Do we, in these United States, want immigrants to learn the language and otherwise integrate into the society or not?
2. Is that integration more likely or less likely if we have significant pockets of immigrants (legal or not, it does not really matter) who come from the donor country and speak the donor language?

As for the English language abilities of census subjects, how long does a census take spend analyzing the English language abilities of census subjects? I suspect that a census taker spends about three to five minutes taking to the head of household, gathering data before moving on the next household. "Does not speak English" in 1895 might mean "does not speak English as well as my nativist sensibilities lead me to believe to be right."
Somehow, along the way, Lahren's family did, eventually, learn English.

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
TBH, I care more about folks being self-sufficient when they come here than what language they speak - or don't speak.

There are many who come here and are self-sufficient and they don't get enough press, IMHO.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.