Are you encouraged or discouraged?

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
We are plus seven overall, plus two in the league, and even though only the most die-hard of us even cares, I am feeling pretty positive about things. You can see that we are only a couple of players away from being back in a regional, and with Coach Bo's rep as a recruiter you have to think we can get back to competitive pretty quickly.

Agree or disagree?

Rtr

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think the key is in the degree of recruiting improvement. I have no question about CBB's coaching ability. But Jimmy and Joe's do matter. I know he will improve our recruiting, but to what degree? How big of a leap in recruiting can he go? I think THAT will be the key of how much improvement we can expect and how we should set our expectations for the future.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
I would say 'encouraged' also. Baseball is a momentum game, and we had a long ways to come. I think the team has been thru a lot, but became more competitive this year overall. Not sure we are so much better....but I like the hustle. Recruiting is key and we have always been short on pitching when compared to Miss St or LSU or even Awbun. Looking forward to next season. I think we are a better overall club than we were a year ago. Hopefully the same will be true after next year and so on. Gotta find a couple of Magadans down the road.

bamajake

1st Team
Sep 27, 2001
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Absolutely encouraged. This team simply does not have the talent or depth to compete for an SEC title. However, this bunch has competed hard game in and game out. I believe that we are only a good recruiting class from being in Hoover and in a regional. Two good recruiting classes puts in contention for a bye in Hoover. Add a third good recruiting class and I believe we will be in the hunt for an SEC title. Although the talent isn't there this year, the attitude definitely is and I think this coaching staff will build on this year.

ShoalCreek

Suspended
Feb 28, 2018
A long way to go. Like Bo. We missed a golden opportunity to take a huge leap in baseball had we made the decision to build a new stadium overlooking the river. Yet we put more lipstick on a pig at the Joe and clarified the fact that we don't mind mediocrity in baseball. Spent a ton of money and we're still middle to lower tier in baseball, at best.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
You and I will strongly disagree on this. We built the new Joe because it was past time. For the fans. For the players. Yes, for recruiting, but a new stadium isn't going to counter act a state with no lotto or Hope money, a school that idiotically insists on athletes paying out of state fees, and no Legion ball and little in the way of top flight travel ball to help develop the players we do get.

How would a stadium on the river have countered all of those hurdles any staff at Bama is going to be dealing with? In order to get back to Omaha we are going to have to catch lightning in a bottle with the right coach and then outwork every other program. Can it happen? Heck yes it can. It really can. But if it does it will come from working hard and not from the building we play in.

Jmo rtr

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
You and I will strongly disagree on this. We built the new Joe because it was past time. For the fans. For the players. Yes, for recruiting, but a new stadium isn't going to counter act a state with no lotto or Hope money, a school that idiotically insists on athletes paying out of state fees, and no Legion ball and little in the way of top flight travel ball to help develop the players we do get.

How would a stadium on the river have countered all of those hurdles any staff at Bama is going to be dealing with? In order to get back to Omaha we are going to have to catch lightning in a bottle with the right coach and then outwork every other program. Can it happen? Heck yes it can. It really can. But if it does it will come from working hard and not from the building we play in.

Jmo rtr

No amount of UA sports success will get me to support such a terrible public policy.

ShoalCreek

Suspended
Feb 28, 2018
No amount of UA sports success will get me to support such a terrible public policy.
Contrary to your belief, we did not build a new Joe. We gutted the old one and enhanced it. It's not bad for a middle tier stadium. Will never surpass LSU, USC, MSU or Arkansas. Not even that cow college in west GA. We were once the Joneses in SEC baseball (check the history) but no more. Now just trying to stay middle of the road. The city of Tuscaloosa and the Tide were once a baseball/softball mecca. Just 80 miles up HWY 82 in Starkville, you'll find a topflight new baseball state of the art facility. The Joe, oh well. I also believe we still have American Legion baseball. Tuscaloosa Post 34 has been very good to the Tide over years. I will agree Jim Wells was promised to get some relief on out of state tuition assistance from Bob Witt, among other things, but it never came to pass. UGA has not routinely benefitted from additional Hope type compensation. Lastly, a stadium on the BWR would provide a great backdrop for a baseball setting unsurpassed in the NCAA. The city of Tuscaloosa should have stood tall and helped UA with this endeavor. Unfortunately, they did nothing. We put lip stick on the Joe and about to do the same for Coleman, a second time. A total slap in the face to these sports programs. Thanks for your continuing support of UA athletics! JMHO RTR

Last edited:

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
IIRC, Georgia is hosting a regional this year so it has definitely helped with only 2 kids from out of state being on their roster.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
GA produces a ton of HS baseball talent.
Benefits from the HOPE money that you said they were not getting. All they ever needed was a decent coach. A new stadium wouldn't help us getting anyone from out of state paying the price they pay either when they can stay at home or get a scholarship from a HOPE type state school. You think a top recruit would give up guaranteed scholarship money just to play in a new stadium? No way...

Until we change anything we are only handicapping ourselves.

ShoalCreek

Suspended
Feb 28, 2018
Benefits from the HOPE money that you said they were not getting. All they ever needed was a decent coach. A new stadium wouldn't help us getting anyone from out of state paying the price they pay either when they can stay at home or get a scholarship from a HOPE type state school. You think a top recruit would give up guaranteed scholarship money just to play in a new stadium? No way...

Until we change anything we are only handicapping ourselves.
HOPE is a good program for in-state kids. Scott is an excellent UGA baseball coach. He played at Nick's school Kent State, and did a great job until UGA called.

Jim Wells was promised to be able to give out of state prospective-student athletes in baseball the same in-state costs but that was later rescinded. Until the NCAA levels the playing field, it's going to be tough. Baseball deserves more than 11.7 scholarships but Title IV curtailed it.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
HOPE is a good program for in-state kids. Scott is an excellent UGA baseball coach. He played at Nick's school Kent State, and did a great job until UGA called.

Jim Wells was promised to be able to give out of state prospective-student athletes in baseball the same in-state costs but that was later rescinded. Until the NCAA levels the playing field, it's going to be tough. Baseball deserves more than 11.7 scholarships but Title IV curtailed it.
Agreed. It won't take long for UGA to be there every year if he's as good as he seems. All they have to do is load up with Georgia kids and they got it made (which they have done with all but 2 being from Georgia). There's just too much talent there.

Alabama has enough to sustain a great program but we are still losing the top kids to the barn and then Samford and Troy help get what's left. I think 11.7 scholarships is a joke too but the only way to fix it is help ourselves which we refuse to do. It's not like we need the money that bad as it would help all sports. But it's all about the $$

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Around Atlanta? Sure. iirc one or two kids we signed for next year were from up north, but played travel ball on teams based in Atlanta.

rtr

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Around Atlanta? Sure. iirc one or two kids we signed for next year were from up north, but played travel ball on teams based in Atlanta.

rtr
At what age should parents worry about getting their child on a high level travel team? Is it more about the competition or the coaching from the better teams? Can a kid make it with out ever playing travel ball?

Ebay

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 18, 2017
At what age should parents worry about getting their child on a high level travel team? Is it more about the competition or the coaching from the better teams? Can a kid make it with out ever playing travel ball?
For travel ball, you need to balance many things. While there is no substitute for facing better competition, you need to avoid burnout. I have seen a lot of talented players who started so young and played so many games, they were just done with it by HS. Many travel programs have a couple of high-level teams and a bunch of "revenue" teams with corresponding levels of coaching. Your son needs to get bigger ans stronger while getting better coaching and playing against better competition than he will likely see in Rec baseball. He will face some studs in HS who have been playing travel ball and will be 2+ years older than him at least until he is a senior.

Bottom line: If he is the best player on his team, he is playing at too low a competition level.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.