Offseason thread - What "qualifies" you as a Bama fan?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
for the record, I both APPLIED TO and WAS ACCEPTED by the University of Alabama as a student in the spring of 1987. Financial considerations - namely, I didn't want to go into a deep debt hole - compelled me to choose other options, but let there be no doubt about me being an all-around fan of the school. In 1989, I was offered a pittance of a scholarship to transfer to Ole Miss. My things could have turned out so different ya know.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
The only qualification for me is that you genuinely support the University and Athletic programs in what ever way you can.

By genuine I mean not a bandwagon fan who is only a fan now while we are dominating but will jump off at the 1st sign of lack of success.

I was born in 1978 and have been a hardcore fan since about 1982-83. My Pop-Pop(Grandfather) graduated from Alabama in the 40's and always taped the games back in the 80's on Beta or VHS so I could watch them. My Mom also went to school there in the 70's.

I became a season ticket holder in 2013 and have either gone to as many games as possible or gave tickets to friends and family for them to go.

But I don't think anyone needs to have ties of any sort to be a true fan. Just honestly support the teams through the Winning years, the Mediocre years, and or the Losing years. Stay Loyal.
This sums it up for me pretty well (except I was born in 67). I have been a Bama fan since I was a boy. Stayed loyal through the tough years. I wanted to attend the university however UAB made more sense for me at the time because of the professional school I wanted to get into. I don't pull for UAB even though they are my al ma mater.

GCtidefan

1st Team
Sep 23, 2010
Adger, AL
A lot of you talk of learning about Alabama football from your dads. My story is the opposite.
My dad never watched football or knew anything about it. As a kid we would throw a baseball around the yard and he taught me how to bat, but baseball was the only sport I knew at the time.
In 1965 at the age of 6 my dad introduced me to Radio Shack who had all kinds of DYI electronic projects for kids. My first project was to build a transistor radio from a kit. Dad taught me how to read a schematic and solder and I (we) put together a simple AM tuner and speaker. The first thing I heard when I finally picked up a station was an Alabama game being broadcast. I listened to the whole thing both proud of my accomplishment and reveling in the excitement of the broadcasters. I have no recollection of which game it was, but it was exciting! I listened to other games that year, got my dad interested, and we watched Alabama defeat Nebraska on our black and white TV. We’ve been hooked ever since.
Rode my motorcycle to games at Legion field in the 70’s parking in a neighborhood yard and paying a kid $5 to watch my bike. Another $5 bought a paper plate of BBQ pork, baked beans, and a slice of loaf bread from the same family when the game was over. My kids are Bama fans, my step kids are Bama fans, and dad and I still talk during half time of every game.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Like most others here, I didn't know anything other than being a Bama fan. My dad graduated from there, and I remember being a Bama fan as far back as I can remember. I still remember being crushed one Christmas season when my older brother and sister and cousins all got Bama jerseys when I did not. I wanted number 42, Major Ogilvie. I offered to trade in every other Christmas present I had for one. I started living and dying with the Tide during my middle school and high school years. I attended Bama and graduated in December of 92, which was a great last semester to be there. I also hate that I did not attend the Sugar Bowl that year. I remember the horrible Octobers of the mid to late 90s when it seemed that every year we would lose to UT and then the Braves would lose in the playoffs. I have aged enough now to no longer live and die with the games, but I still get pretty wound up and act more like a petulant child than I should. Anyway, there are some great stories on here. Thanks for sharing and Roll Tide!

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
like many on here i was born into it. my granddad was from coker and worked various jobs around campus and t-town and would always tell us stories about the '25 rose bowl and welcoming the team home and the rest of the rich history of 'bama and tuscaloosa. my dad and his siblings all graduated from u of a and my mom attended but left school when i was born in '69. i went to my first game in '78 and then was a boy scout usher for most of the t-town games for coach byrant's last year and all of perkin's time there. my grandparents also took my brother and i to several legion field games (including the sack). i also got to spend a lot of saturdays dove hunting or loading firewood while listening to radio broadcasts of the games. i graduated in the summer of '92

my first actual "memory" of bama football was from the bama nebraska orange bowl (january 72). my dad was watching the game laying on the floor and i at 2 and 1/2 was running circles around the room and jumping over my dad until i tripped and fell breaking my collar bone requiring a trip to the emergency room. he didn't need to see the rest of that game anyway ;)

also, one of my step-mom's cousins blocked the punts for the barn in '72

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
like many on here i was born into it. my granddad was from coker and worked various jobs around campus and t-town and would always tell us stories about the '25 rose bowl and welcoming the team home and the rest of the rich history of 'bama and tuscaloosa. my dad and his siblings all graduated from u of a and my mom attended but left school when i was born in '69. i went to my first game in '78 and then was a boy scout usher for most of the t-town games for coach byrant's last year and all of perkin's time there. my grandparents also took my brother and i to several legion field games (including the sack). i also got to spend a lot of saturdays dove hunting or loading firewood while listening to radio broadcasts of the games. i graduated in the summer of '92

my first actual "memory" of bama football was from the bama nebraska orange bowl (january 72). my dad was watching the game laying on the floor and i at 2 and 1/2 was running circles around the room and jumping over my dad until i tripped and fell breaking my collar bone requiring a trip to the emergency room. he didn't need to see the rest of that game anyway ;)

I knew there was something about you....

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

Bill Newton?

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
Listened to them on the radio in the 50's. Couldn't wait till Sunday to read the paper and see the pictures. Traveled with My Dad on his cookie delivery truck to Tuscaloosa every week in the summer and saw the stadium and Denny Chimes. Thought that was the center of the universe. Went to Bama and discovered it IS the center of the universe.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Interestingly enough, I almost went to Auburn. My dad was a Bama fan, both older brothers also, the older having attended UA. However, my BIL, much closer to me in age than my brothers was an Auburn grad. When I took aptitude tests, I tested high in social/verbal (car salesman or lawyer), but I tested almost as highly in science/math. It was a decision I didn't make until late in my senior year, disappointing my BIL. I most assuredly didn't start at Bama for the football. Whitworth was the coach. 1956 was a disaster - 2-7-1, and 1957 was its equal - 2-7-1. Of course, Coach Bryant was hired and immediately went 5-4-1. I began to get the idea that Bama football could be fun and it wasn't necessary to get drunk for every game... :)
I actually did attend auburn for 2 quarters. I thought I wanted to be a pharmacist. I still wore my Alabama Crimson Tide hat all over campus. I wore it enough that one former player actually remembered me (my brother-in-law worked with him on a construction job). I was unhappy down there so I left. I changed my major and when it came time to pick a college again I decided on a different path.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
My BIL grew up an Alabama fan, but also was heavily involved in FFA during high school. After completing his general education requirements at NWSCC, he transferred to Auburn so that he could major in something that'll "allow him to play in the dirt the rest of his life and make money doing it." Thanks to his FFA teacher (now my boss) who graduated from Auburn, my BIL ended up getting all of the rest of his B.A., and all of his M.A. paid for by Auburn. He still wore an Alabama shirt almost every day while at AU, and whenever he used the campus bus system, none of the students would sit next to him. During the 2011 run, he bought my wife and I student section tickets for the Iron Bowl, and let's say we all enjoyed our celebrating of Alabama dominating Auburn in that game; the other Auburn students were beside themselves when they realized my BIL bought us the tickets. He ended up at Tennessee for his PhD, and UT paid for his entire education as well. So, as an Alabama fan, he managed to get AU and UT to pay for all of his education.

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
Half my family is Bama fans, as my family spreads into lower Alabama from Florida. The other half are mostly Gator fans. When I was 7 and just learning about football, my Uncle gave me his Alabama ball cap. I've loved them ever since, and supported them in every sport or function. Even though I never attended there, my heart has always been for the Tide since that day he put that cap on my head, always will be, and my wife now is finishing her degree from Alabama online. :smile:

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Mom and Dad were Bama fans, graduated from UA . . .

Last edited:

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Had to do a book report in 3rd grade. I chose a book about Joe Namath. I was hooked. He played for Bama; so I was a Bama fan. He played for the Jets; so I pulled for the Jets. He then went to LA and retired. I've been a Rams fan ever since. I'm just kinda loyal like that. Was at the Liberty Bowl for CPB's last game. When Coach Bryant died, the outpouring of love and respect made me love the Tide even more. Growing up in TN, all I've ever been surrounded by is that god-forsaken orange. Which made me even more steadfast in my love for the Tide. I started attending games regularly in 97. Bought my first season ticket package in 99. First two, then 3 (first daughter), then 4 (second daughter). Sat through the horrific losses to La Tech, Central FL and La Monroe. Sat through the miserable 9-0 loss to Auburn in cold, rain and sleet. And was there for so, so many wins. I've been to bowl games, road games, SEC Championship Games and National Championship games. Named my first dog Bama. Now, UA is the leader in the clubhouse for my girls as they are looking at colleges to attend.

I bleed crimson.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.