Blasts From The Past - A Catch-All Thread of Tide Fans Classics

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Go read the thread like I did starting when Tua came out. Most were excited but there were a few who commented then and at times throughout the thread that we had either waited too long and it wouldn't matter, or that the problem wasn't Jalen and the change would make little to no difference. One was ready to put back in Jalen after the first series. Another wanted to pull him after the INT.

I wasn't in the thread when the game was happening. I will tell you what I thought at the time, though. At halftime, I was as frustrated as I have ever been as a fan. I wasn't sure I could continue to watch the game, though I knew I would. But I was ready to break my normal tradition of not drinking during Bama games if Jalen was playing the second half. When Tua came out, I knew I could leave the 12 pack in the fridge. I saw him make plenty of mistakes without a doubt. But all the while, I kept saying that even if we lost, it was worth it because you could clearly see what a difference that kid made in the play of our whole team. I did not expect the victory we got at all. I had already figured it as a loss myself. But I was viewing the whole thing as a look into the future, and I was happy with what I was seeing. I just got the bonus of seeing him turn that game into a surprise win as well.

Oh I thought you were referring to the present. I just jumped to see the ending. ;)

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I saw that too. He may have been right. Jalen was the best answer for us in that moment right then, and it was clear he was our best option in that season. It did serve as a detriment to his development, though. Playing Barnett would have allowed Jalen to sit a year and just develop, but that probably would have meant writing off 2016 as a loss, which we weren't willing to do.
Considering Barnett could not start at ASU and has once again transferred I don't think he was right. None of us were complaining much during Jalen's freshman year.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Considering Barnett could not start at ASU and has once again transferred I don't think he was right. None of us were complaining much during Jalen's freshman year.
Oh. I agree on Barnett. I do think the point, and maybe I misinterpreted it, was that not having Jalen get that freshman year he got could have resulted in him learning rather than thwart his development the way the last two years seems to have done. But like I said, Barnett or any of the others playing that season would have likely meant we just threw in the towel for the year. Kind of a Catch 22.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Oh. I agree on Barnett. I do think the point, and maybe I misinterpreted it, was that not having Jalen get that freshman year he got could have resulted in him learning rather than thwart his development the way the last two years seems to have done. But like I said, Barnett or any of the others playing that season would have likely meant we just threw in the towel for the year. Kind of a Catch 22.
What I was trying to point out was there was someone so angry and unhappy with both our QB's in the 3rd qtr of the NC game that he would have preferred to have had an unproven kid who quit on his team be our QB. Seemed amazingly desperate and pitiful in a way.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
And then there was the time college football decided to go to a four-team playoff, and 90% of the Bama Nation got their collective bees in bonnets:

https://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169585

I mean, some folks who thought they knew a lot turned out to not know very much at all:

I wish I shared peoples' enthusiasm for playoffs, but I don't. I give it 5 years before a move is afoot to go to 8 teams.

In the unlikely event 2 SEC teams end up in the playoffs, they of course will be matched against each other in one of the semifinal games.

And for the brief period of time we have a 4-team playoff, I find it endearing how some people actually believe a second SEC team will make the playoffs ahead of, for example, a one-loss WAC or ACC conference champion. The Selection Committee will do their job of ensuring conference diversity in the playoffs.
WRONG!!!

You're spot on. A 4 team playoff (in reality) will probably mean only 1 SEC team because I imagine a committee wouldn't take a 2nd SEC team even if it was a repeat of 2011 since it would give "us" a 50% chance of winning the title and their selection criteria includes the consideration of winning a conference. An 8 team playoff means a very high likelihood 2 SEC teams get in since there is no doubt we are the premier conference. I'd rather the BCS over a 4 team playoff, but I'd much rather an 8 team playoff because we have a greater likelihood of being one of the top 2 teams in the SEC than winning the SEC title each year.
Right, just like talking about Utah and TCU is in a different context in the present as it was in the past.

My concern really isn't conference championship or not though, at least in terms of this particular aspect. It is simply with the notion that this committee is bound to enforce, that a conference logically can't have two of the top four programs. It isn't who jumps Alabama, as much as Alabama would be penalized solely because they happened to be in a conference with the #1 team. Any other conference and it's all but certain that they are undefeated and go into any playoff, or the BCS as the #1 seed. Instead, they would be out entirely. That's just not acceptable.
I won't rip krazy because he's a smart guy AND he's been open minded. Give him credit for at least nuancing his words here.

Plus, some moments of sanity:

For better or worse, here we go. As long as they didn't weigh down the selection committee with overly restrictive, conference champion criteria, this will be ok. If they get 3 of the 4 best teams, we'll eventually accept it.

This whole playoff deal was finally put together by the same people who want the SEC to just go away. They are there own worst enemies. The SEC will have that much greater chance of being there now. If they didn't like the results this past year, they are really going to hate this. Just think, the SEC has a chance to have 2 teams in again. What is the likelihood that that SEC doesn't have at least one team in the playoff. Slim and none, unless you stack the committee with BIG10 idiots.

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
Best quote from Jess after 2007 LSU game. For Alabama, there are no such things as moral victories, but this is something both Alabama and LSU fans should take to heart: The worst Alabama team anyone will probably see over the next five years came within about 1:30 of beating the best LSU team anyone will probably see over the next five years.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Anyway we could get the 07 and 09 Tennessee game threads and post games because everytime I search I can’t seem to find them.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
In the "had no clue what he was talking about" category....

I'm against any playoff system with a priority that is anything less than finding the best four teams in college football and seeding them 1-4.

I don't care if the four teams are all from the SEC, the Big 12, the Big East, or the Ohio Valley Conference.

Determine, based on performance against their strength of schedule, who the four best teams are and let them slug it out.

Anything else is going to hurt the college game in my opinion and I think it will hurt the SEC and the Big 12 worse than any other conferences because we're the ones with the better teams that are going to be sitting home while 9-3 Big Ten Conference Champ Michigan battles undefeated Alabama in the four versus one game while 12-1 Florida, who lost to Bama in the SEC Title game sits home.

Well, it's sorta hurt the Big 12 in a bizarre kind of way....

It will happen believe me.

Then Michigan pulls off an upset and plays Pac Ten Conference Champ three seed 10-2 Oregon, who upset number two seed and undefeated Oklahoma ..........for the National Championship.
Not. Even Close.

How boring. Just like the NFL. Forget your whole body of work, just get in the playoff and you have a chance to be crowned national champ if your totally average football team can just pull off an upset or two.
I don't think there have been any "totally average" football teams in the four years. I don't think any of their 16 selections were incorrect.

I personally despise this system. I thought the BCS had it right.

As far as the polls....well...quite simply...they have given more controversy for football fans to talk about, argue about, and discuss for many many years.

They kind of separated college from the pros, and, in my opinion, even with their flaws, they helped make the game the great game it is...or soon to be "once was"..

I have tried to be objective in my thoughts but I see absolutely nothing at all positive about this playoff system.

It stinks, it's a vendetta against the SEC, and it wasn't created to determine a true national champion, it was created to make sure inferior football teams can still make millions for their prospective schools.

sip
Must have been some bad persimmon or something....

And then comes the "hold mah beer" moment...

This is THE reason this is happening now. As said earlier, two years ago we didn't need a playoff.

The Alabam vs LSU was too much of a reality check for the rest of college football.
They were already suffering SEC fatigue syndrome but TWO SEC teams in the BCSCG was just too much too handle, even though most begrudgingly acknowledged that the two best teams played in the game which is what the BCS was all about.(supposedly)

The only reason this is being done now is to keep two SEC teams from playing in a championship game. Period.
With a 4 team "playoff", there will NEVER be two teams from the SEC play each other in a championship game again. EVER. I guarantee it.
Money back if not satisfied...but just getting started

IF there are ever two teams from the SEC that get into the 4 team "playoff" they will be paired together to insure one from the SEC loses.
All righty then....

But some folks ARE rather insightful (as opposed to Selma, who merely "incite-full")

I agree with Sip. I do want to point out one thing that gives us a little bit of encouragement. We have been a constant presence near the top, with small periods of mediocrity. We've overcome the attempts to level the playing field and have the ability to thrive in any future system. This is an obvious attempt to combat SEC fatigue, but Bama will keep winning!! RTR!!
And the esteemed RF!!

Nothing has really changed. Now the media will harp (endlessly) about the poor #5 team which got left out and how unfair it is and how they need a real playoff and on and on and on.

The real fire storm will be when the selection committee choose #1, #2. # 3 and #5 and leaves out poor number four. Oh my, that will be a fine brawl.
This was a thoughtful an speculative post - a REASONABLE one during a time of unreason...

And he went in depth on the formula that they will most likely use. Strength of Schedule is the main component. They want teams to play a challenging schedule, including in the non-conference portion. They'll also factor in head-to-head results where applicable, and yes... if you are a conference champion you could win in a tie-breaker scenario with another team that did not win their conference. This doesn't mean a 9-3 Wisconsin team that wins the Big Ten will get in. This means that a 11-1 Oklahoma that wins the Big 12 that is ranked 5th will get in over a 11-1 Alabama that does not win the SEC.
BINGO!!!!! Good job TE08!!!

However, the hosts of this radio show asked him this question. What if Cincinnati is 12-0 and Big East champions. Notre Dame is 11-1 and they are the final two teams in consideration for the 4th playoff spot. Who gets in? The guy sounded like he was going to choke. Obviously, Notre Dame cannot be a conference champion. He never would answer the question.
No Irish need apply.....(I can say this, I'm part Irish....)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Sadly, no amount of editing is going to help me appear to be any smarter...
You're a smart fella.

I had wanted to go pick these out during the week we prepped for UGA.

So many defiant and misguided thrusts into the wind - while some of us were saying, "Hey, let's see what they have here."

I was never sold on the "this is to keep two SEC teams out" mantra.

TE08 did a good job looking at it.

• Haha
Reactions: 81usaf92

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
selma is on patrol again. some of you might want to go back to your old posts and edit them to appear smarter.
I’m honestly trying to remember if I posted on that thread. Not because I fear I might have posted something stupid, which I’ll own it, but just curious of what my opinion was way back when.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
And then there was meltdown like this....

I'm VERY apprehensive about what's to come with this whole "playoff" thing. Conference champions are going to be chosen over higher ranked teams,
Strike one....

SEC teams are going to be forced to play one another in semifinals so as to NEVER allow SEC on SEC Championship games ever again
Strike two....

(and you can BET you'll NEVER EVER see 3 or more SEC teams in a playoff unless they have 8 or more teams),

Oh, well...I'm tired of worrying about it. We'll just have to see how we handle getting screwed starting in 2014, because it IS going to happen. Recall that the BCS has been VERY good to us.
Strike three......he's.........OUT!!!!

But here's a smart one, too..

the best thing that can happen, IMO, is for the first controversial pairings to come down to 2 teams from another conference other than the SEC.

By that, I mean that we've all talked about how this is designed to keep the SEC from monopolizing the NCG ever again. What if in 2014, it affects the Big 10, or Pac-whatever instead of the SEC. Will they suddenly change their criteria? Will be interesting to see.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I don’t know why, but this cracked me up.

Thread started by from Tide-HSV:

Here is the standard warning again:

As always, mind your manners. The same rules apply about profanity and obscenities, disguised or not, as at other times. Some folks aren't able to handle drinking and posting at the same time. If you're one of those people, stay out of the game thread, and we'll all be happier. In addition, rival fans should think long and hard before trying to participate, unless you’re 100% friendly. This is one thread each week where the tolerance for trash and stirring is absolute zero. The game threads are the only threads where "thread drift" is not allowed. Please stick close to comments on the game only. Save lengthy criticisms of players or coaches for the post game thread. The odds are that the rest of us aren't really that interested and are focusing on the game...

Pay close attention to the red sentences at the end. After the game, I'm going through the threads and I'm going to suspend every last member who's in violation of this rule. I'm getting sick of hearing a bunch of whiners....

Response by DzynKingRTR

run the ball!!!!!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.