Blasts From The Past - A Catch-All Thread of Tide Fans Classics - Page 8
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American

Re: Blasts From The Past - A Catch-All Thread of Tide Fans Classics

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    I was more referring to the 2015 game thread. Lots of eeyores that were waiting for that “ I told you so” about Kiffin and Coker moment.

But yes this championship is probably the best in my lifetime because it’s the only one I’ve been to and how it ended.
    Ah ok. I didn't read that one.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    I found the 2nd half of the national title game vs UGA for you:

https://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294742
    I don't normally participate or read game threads, but going through bits and pieces of that was a kinda fun way to relive it differently. We went from "OMG! Throw it away" and "You can't take that sack" to someone saying for us to just throw the TD on the next play, then "We Won!."

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Since we’ve been talking about Oeaux lately.

https://www.tidefans.com/forums/show...=274452&page=1

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by RedWave View Post
    I don't normally participate or read game threads, but going through bits and pieces of that was a kinda fun way to relive it differently. We went from "OMG! Throw it away" and "You can't take that sack" to someone saying for us to just throw the TD on the next play, then "We Won!."
    My favorite quote in the whole thing is from Cajun. "A lot of annoying tidefans posters just were validated"

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by RollTide_HTTR View Post
    My favorite quote in the whole thing is from Cajun. "A lot of annoying tidefans posters just were validated"
    I enjoyed seeing all the naysayers talking about how changing the QB wouldn't make a difference, etc. Some are still defending Jalen even after seeing evidence to the contrary.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

I enjoyed seeing all the naysayers talking about how changing the QB wouldn't make a difference, etc. Some are still defending Jalen even after seeing evidence to the contrary.
    1) who is still defending Jalen? I think many are predicting he starts vs Louisville but I don’t see any out right defending him.

2) there weren’t many “naysayers” as there were realists. Many believe that there was a reason of why Tua wasn’t playing or that CNS wasn’t going to go against his history in benching an experienced low risk starter for a high risk/high reward unproven qb. I believe 90% of the “naysayers” believed Tua was a better qb but believed he wasn’t going to get a shot until spring.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TiderJack's Avatar

I did also. And IIRC early in the 3rd qtr after Tua went 3 and out somebody inferred that we should have been playing Blake Barnett from the get go instead of Jalen in his freshman year so we would have a QB who could throw the ball against UGA.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by TiderJack View Post
    I did also. And IIRC early in the 3rd qtr after Tua went 3 and out somebody inferred that we should have been playing Blake Barnett from the get go instead of Jalen in his freshman year so we would have a QB who could throw the ball against UGA.
    I saw that too. He may have been right. Jalen was the best answer for us in that moment right then, and it was clear he was our best option in that season. It did serve as a detriment to his development, though. Playing Barnett would have allowed Jalen to sit a year and just develop, but that probably would have meant writing off 2016 as a loss, which we weren't willing to do.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by 81usaf92 View Post
    1) who is still defending Jalen? I think many are predicting he starts vs Louisville but I don’t see any out right defending him.

2) there weren’t many “naysayers” as there were realists. Many believe that there was a reason of why Tua wasn’t playing or that CNS wasn’t going to go against his history in benching an experienced low risk starter for a high risk/high reward unproven qb. I believe 90% of the “naysayers” believed Tua was a better qb but believed he wasn’t going to get a shot until spring.
    Go read the thread like I did starting when Tua came out. Most were excited but there were a few who commented then and at times throughout the thread that we had either waited too long and it wouldn't matter, or that the problem wasn't Jalen and the change would make little to no difference. One was ready to put back in Jalen after the first series. Another wanted to pull him after the INT.

I wasn't in the thread when the game was happening. I will tell you what I thought at the time, though. At halftime, I was as frustrated as I have ever been as a fan. I wasn't sure I could continue to watch the game, though I knew I would. But I was ready to break my normal tradition of not drinking during Bama games if Jalen was playing the second half. When Tua came out, I knew I could leave the 12 pack in the fridge. I saw him make plenty of mistakes without a doubt. But all the while, I kept saying that even if we lost, it was worth it because you could clearly see what a difference that kid made in the play of our whole team. I did not expect the victory we got at all. I had already figured it as a loss myself. But I was viewing the whole thing as a look into the future, and I was happy with what I was seeing. I just got the bonus of seeing him turn that game into a surprise win as well.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Go read the thread like I did starting when Tua came out. Most were excited but there were a few who commented then and at times throughout the thread that we had either waited too long and it wouldn't matter, or that the problem wasn't Jalen and the change would make little to no difference. One was ready to put back in Jalen after the first series. Another wanted to pull him after the INT.

I wasn't in the thread when the game was happening. I will tell you what I thought at the time, though. At halftime, I was as frustrated as I have ever been as a fan. I wasn't sure I could continue to watch the game, though I knew I would. But I was ready to break my normal tradition of not drinking during Bama games if Jalen was playing the second half. When Tua came out, I knew I could leave the 12 pack in the fridge. I saw him make plenty of mistakes without a doubt. But all the while, I kept saying that even if we lost, it was worth it because you could clearly see what a difference that kid made in the play of our whole team. I did not expect the victory we got at all. I had already figured it as a loss myself. But I was viewing the whole thing as a look into the future, and I was happy with what I was seeing. I just got the bonus of seeing him turn that game into a surprise win as well.

Oh I thought you were referring to the present. I just jumped to see the ending.

I saw that too. He may have been right. Jalen was the best answer for us in that moment right then, and it was clear he was our best option in that season. It did serve as a detriment to his development, though. Playing Barnett would have allowed Jalen to sit a year and just develop, but that probably would have meant writing off 2016 as a loss, which we weren't willing to do.
    Considering Barnett could not start at ASU and has once again transferred I don't think he was right. None of us were complaining much during Jalen's freshman year.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by TiderJack View Post
    Considering Barnett could not start at ASU and has once again transferred I don't think he was right. None of us were complaining much during Jalen's freshman year.
    Oh. I agree on Barnett. I do think the point, and maybe I misinterpreted it, was that not having Jalen get that freshman year he got could have resulted in him learning rather than thwart his development the way the last two years seems to have done. But like I said, Barnett or any of the others playing that season would have likely meant we just threw in the towel for the year. Kind of a Catch 22.

Oh. I agree on Barnett. I do think the point, and maybe I misinterpreted it, was that not having Jalen get that freshman year he got could have resulted in him learning rather than thwart his development the way the last two years seems to have done. But like I said, Barnett or any of the others playing that season would have likely meant we just threw in the towel for the year. Kind of a Catch 22.
    What I was trying to point out was there was someone so angry and unhappy with both our QB's in the 3rd qtr of the NC game that he would have preferred to have had an unproven kid who quit on his team be our QB. Seemed amazingly desperate and pitiful in a way.