Blasts From The Past - A Catch-All Thread of Tide Fans Classics

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
selmaborntidefan;3220847[URL="https://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76315" said:
The Barn Comes Unglued[/URL]

I tell you what. That 36-0 win over them that year was glorious! I so much enjoyed that beatdown we put on them that year. 2012 was quite satisfying as well.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Folks probably had to learn to believe again when Saban arrived. I can't imaging what game threads in the Shula era looked like. You just couldn't trust the team to perform consistently from game to game. Maybe it was better that folks didn't post a lot - probably would have been a ton of banned posters.

2007 ULM Game Thread First Half

2007 ULM Game Thread Second Half

The 2007 ULM Postgame Thread

2007 Auburn Game Thread, 2nd Half

2007 Iron Bowl Postgame Thread

My my my how the sobering splash of ice cold water in the morning to wake me up to the cold hard truth of reality. Like in the Wizard of Oz when the curtain was pulled back to reveal that the Great Oz wasn't so great after all. So it is with Alabama football in 2007. The "Great Oz" really isn't so great anymore.

Today wasn't about talent or not having talent. Today wasn't about coaching or the lack of coaching. Today we got to look reality in the eye of this football program and see for ourselves what many have been saying might possibly be hiding under the surface. The problem with Alabama football goes way beyond talent folks. It goes much much deeper. A "losers" and "undisciplined" culture has firmly set in at the Capstone and if today didn't confirm that then nothing will.

I did not attend or see the game. But I did listen to it. What I "heard" is exactly what a buddy of mine that did attend the game described and that is we've got too many players that simply don't have "want to"/"heart"/"inner drive" etc. It is a culture that has set in over the years. Blame it on what you want but the bottom line is it's here and isn't leaving very easily.

Coach Saban has his work cut out for him. Cecil Hurt's article answered part of it by saying some players need to be cycled out and bring in the new. Many have said it on here that we've got players that for whatever reason just "don't get it" or maybe can't get it. The rebuilding process is here folks, we're dead off in the middle of it. The dead wood has surfaced and shown itself for everyone to see. Now it's time for CNS to get rid of it, bench it and bring in the new. The darkest hour comes right before the dawn. As hard as it is to say right now or even believe it. IT WILL GET BETTER. ROLL TIDE.

How Good Would We Be If Saban Hadn't Come To Alabama (From November 2007)

Last edited:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Yeah it’s cool looking back at that one.

The 2015 wasn’t really fun to read even though we won.
There was something different about this championship. Idk if it was Tua or what but it felt more special than any others under Saban to me. I was at the 2009 NCG and it was his first so that holds a special place but this one still feels different.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
There was something different about this championship. Idk if it was Tua or what but it felt more special than any others under Saban to me. I was at the 2009 NCG and it was his first so that holds a special place but this one still feels different.
I was more referring to the 2015 game thread. Lots of eeyores that were waiting for that “ I told you so” about Kiffin and Coker moment.

But yes this championship is probably the best in my lifetime because it’s the only one I’ve been to and how it ended.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I was more referring to the 2015 game thread. Lots of eeyores that were waiting for that “ I told you so” about Kiffin and Coker moment.

But yes this championship is probably the best in my lifetime because it’s the only one I’ve been to and how it ended.
Ah ok. I didn't read that one.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I don't normally participate or read game threads, but going through bits and pieces of that was a kinda fun way to relive it differently. We went from "OMG! Throw it away" and "You can't take that sack" to someone saying for us to just throw the TD on the next play, then "We Won!."
My favorite quote in the whole thing is from Cajun. "A lot of annoying tidefans posters just were validated"

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I enjoyed seeing all the naysayers talking about how changing the QB wouldn't make a difference, etc. Some are still defending Jalen even after seeing evidence to the contrary.
1) who is still defending Jalen? I think many are predicting he starts vs Louisville but I don’t see any out right defending him.

2) there weren’t many “naysayers” as there were realists. Many believe that there was a reason of why Tua wasn’t playing or that CNS wasn’t going to go against his history in benching an experienced low risk starter for a high risk/high reward unproven qb. I believe 90% of the “naysayers” believed Tua was a better qb but believed he wasn’t going to get a shot until spring.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I enjoyed seeing all the naysayers talking about how changing the QB wouldn't make a difference, etc. Some are still defending Jalen even after seeing evidence to the contrary.
I did also. And IIRC early in the 3rd qtr after Tua went 3 and out somebody inferred that we should have been playing Blake Barnett from the get go instead of Jalen in his freshman year so we would have a QB who could throw the ball against UGA.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I did also. And IIRC early in the 3rd qtr after Tua went 3 and out somebody inferred that we should have been playing Blake Barnett from the get go instead of Jalen in his freshman year so we would have a QB who could throw the ball against UGA.
I saw that too. He may have been right. Jalen was the best answer for us in that moment right then, and it was clear he was our best option in that season. It did serve as a detriment to his development, though. Playing Barnett would have allowed Jalen to sit a year and just develop, but that probably would have meant writing off 2016 as a loss, which we weren't willing to do.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
1) who is still defending Jalen? I think many are predicting he starts vs Louisville but I don’t see any out right defending him.

2) there weren’t many “naysayers” as there were realists. Many believe that there was a reason of why Tua wasn’t playing or that CNS wasn’t going to go against his history in benching an experienced low risk starter for a high risk/high reward unproven qb. I believe 90% of the “naysayers” believed Tua was a better qb but believed he wasn’t going to get a shot until spring.
Go read the thread like I did starting when Tua came out. Most were excited but there were a few who commented then and at times throughout the thread that we had either waited too long and it wouldn't matter, or that the problem wasn't Jalen and the change would make little to no difference. One was ready to put back in Jalen after the first series. Another wanted to pull him after the INT.

I wasn't in the thread when the game was happening. I will tell you what I thought at the time, though. At halftime, I was as frustrated as I have ever been as a fan. I wasn't sure I could continue to watch the game, though I knew I would. But I was ready to break my normal tradition of not drinking during Bama games if Jalen was playing the second half. When Tua came out, I knew I could leave the 12 pack in the fridge. I saw him make plenty of mistakes without a doubt. But all the while, I kept saying that even if we lost, it was worth it because you could clearly see what a difference that kid made in the play of our whole team. I did not expect the victory we got at all. I had already figured it as a loss myself. But I was viewing the whole thing as a look into the future, and I was happy with what I was seeing. I just got the bonus of seeing him turn that game into a surprise win as well.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.