Blasts From The Past - A Catch-All Thread of Tide Fans Classics

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
This is great and all... but I don't wish to see my posts wanting Paul Johnson as our coach after Shula to resurface. Thanks for your cooperation, selma. ;)
I think I may have been in favor of Jim Grobe, but maybe it was Paul Johnson. I have slept since then, and may have changed my mind a few times during that search.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
To Be Updated As I have Time - Some of these have pure comedy gold in them.....

Early Reports Saying Shula Is Fired

MIKE SHULA FIRED.....NOW WHAT....

The 2006 Alabama Coaching Search Thread (All Things Shula and Saban)

Shula Rumored To Return - And Tidefans LOSE It

The First Rumor Thread Begins - Compiled Threads

JessN Column on the Names Being Considered To Replace Mike Shula

OTHER COACHES IN THE RUNNING

Jim Leavitt

Hey Mods, Who Would You Like???

A closer look at the candidates and some major TF smoke blowing

Honestly, my top guy might just be Jim Grobe.

If I thought Spurrier was really a possibility, I'd take him.

I like Nick Saban, but I don't think he hung the moon like a lot of people think. Still, he's a solid coach and if hired tomorrow in the SEC would be no worse than the second-best guy in the league behind Spurrier.

DA Baxter (aka Paul Johnson Threads)

The First Appeal is Made

Rich Rodriguez Threads

Some Fans Want Him

Look, I'm not lobbying for Rich Rodriguez to be our head coach, but to pretend like the man can't coach is absolutely absurd.

As for his offense, he threw the football with a tremendous amount of success when he was the OC (under Tommy Bowden) at Tulane. The guy knows football.

:rolleye2:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 81usaf92

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
I had totally forgotten how many Shula defenders there were during the coaching search. I wonder how they felt after the Sugar Bowl against Utah, or after the Rose Bowl against Texas, not to mention this last game against UGA.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I had totally forgotten how many Shula defenders there were during the coaching search. I wonder how they felt after the Sugar Bowl against Utah, or after the Rose Bowl against Texas, not to mention this last game against UGA.
Shula woulda beat Utah
Beat Texas by more
Beat UGA without overtime

And won the three-peat in 2013...

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Honestly, I tried to defend him for as long as I could. I thought we needed to be more patient and give him more time. I understood all the reasons we had to do what we did, but I badly wanted Shula to work out. Son of am NFL legendary coach, played his college ball with us, returns to save his alma during troubled times...I really wanted a happy ending in that story for everyone. We eventually got ours, and I am now glad my opinion was not the way we went, but I will admit I wasn't completely behind firing him until after it had happened.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
I was at the 06 IB and it was just awful. The day before we were walking around BDS and I couldn’t believe how open people were in public about him. Bad mouthing him, criticizing him, I’m like, if you want to say something, say it softly or wait until you are out of that area. The game was even worse. I felt bad for him, but he was just a short term fix though. Glad the way things worked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I was at the Independence Bowl that year. It was a pretty easy ticket to get, as I lived in Shreveport, and I don't think fans were too enthused to be playing in that particular bowl that year under those circumstances. It certainly seemed like the stands were relatively empty that year. Sure, there were plenty of Bama fans to be sure, but there were a lot of empty seats around where we were as well. Now the following year, I will not say it was packed, but where my son and I were sitting was quite crowded with some very enthusiastic fans. Then again, we were near the band and the crowd seemed into every band-led cheer.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Well all righty then...

I hope it's not Saban...he has the personality of a piece of toast.

This guy hung his kid for spilling his Skittles....

This team should be on pace for a 10 win season next year. That is with Shula or w/o him.

If the new coach can't win 10 then we just fire him an get another one. We can just keep swapping coaches and let finebomb handle recruiting. He has the schools best interest in mind.

This one thinks hot women like old fat dudes without money....

We should win the west next year and play in Atlanta. There will be no excuse other than a coach that can't get it done. All I've heard for three years is 07 is the year. We have enough numbers in the trenches finally, a QB with experience, receivers, running-backs......we will probably loose less seniors than any team in the SEC.

:BigA:

He writes for "National Enquirer" now...

Spurrier will be announced on Tuesday. $3.2 M per year, 5 years.

Sometimes just hoping (and a lot of brains) is enough....

I think the odds are that Saban stays in the NFL. Among other things, he's friends with Don Shula. I'd love to see him on our sideline, however...

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
If you still don’t think dabaxter was Paul Johnson, this gem should prove it.
Better than Saban, too.....

I can assure you, it won't take Paul Johnson long to get Bama to the SEC Championship Game, 2nd season worst case.
And one guy figured he knew why we didn't yet have an announcement on the new coach....

Because Navy plays Army this weekend .:rolleyes:

RT:conf3:

Et tu, Gray Tide?

Although I like Jim Grobe, IMO his record at Wake Forest is just so-so. Granted he doesn't have the talent to work with and has had a very good season, but overall he hasn't been that successful. Spurrier and Stoops are not coming to Alabama. My preference of this group would be Paul Johnson.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.