Coach Saban Addressed UCF's "National Championship"

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Fans complained about the bowl system, so it was replaced with the BCS. After a few years they complained about the BCS system so it was replaced with the CFP. Now folks are complaining about the CFP.

The harsh reality - fans will complain about any system that doesn't favor their team. People like to believe that they want fairness, but what they really want is personal success.
The truth about the inception of the CFP is that it is was more about spreading the wealth across the country than finding the 4 best teams. The problem with the people that believe in “spreading the wealth” is that the 2nd committee has went to the “4 best teams” logic where as the 1st was “spread the wealth”.

But folks are not going to be happy until college football is a 16 team playoff where the question moves from “who is 3 and 4?” to “who is 15 and 16?”

Winners boast and losers complain

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
The truth about the inception of the CFP is that it is was more about spreading the wealth across the country than finding the 4 best teams. The problem with the people that believe in “spreading the wealth” is that the 2nd committee has went to the “4 best teams” logic where as the 1st was “spread the wealth”.

But folks are not going to be happy until college football is a 16 team playoff where the question moves from “who is 3 and 4?” to “who is 15 and 16?”

And then they'll be arguing about how unfair it is to the 17th-25th ranked teams that they're aren't in. It's never ending.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
And then they'll be arguing about how unfair it is to the 17th-25th ranked teams that they're aren't in. It's never ending.
The whiners are always the same. They are the people who support teams that didn't make it or people who are of the "everybody deserves a trophy" mentality. Really - they are people who should have no voice in this conversation. They spend nothing on the sport and don't watch it enough to really understand it.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

Surely you don't think that would solve the problem. Just look at NCAA basketball. I think the number 64 sets up perfectly for the brackets and provides plenty of fairness for any team with a legitimate claim. However, they did the dumbest thing I think I have ever seen the NCAA do, and that is saying a lot, when they added the play in games and stretched it to 68. Sixty-eight? That's just lame. That tournament hasn't been the same to me ever since because it just seemed so lame. Why not just go to 128 and have one more round for everyone to play on either Tuesday or Wednesday. Of course, I think 64 was perfect for basketball and wish they would have left it alone. Anyway, people are going to complain no matter how many teams are put in because there will still be teams that are left out. The ones left out will whine about fairness and bad officiating or favoritism or whatever the complaint du jour is.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Surely you don't think that would solve the problem. Just look at NCAA basketball. I think the number 64 sets up perfectly for the brackets and provides plenty of fairness for any team with a legitimate claim. However, they did the dumbest thing I think I have ever seen the NCAA do, and that is saying a lot, when they added the play in games and stretched it to 68. Sixty-eight? That's just lame. That tournament hasn't been the same to me ever since because it just seemed so lame. Why not just go to 128 and have one more round for everyone to play on either Tuesday or Wednesday. Of course, I think 64 was perfect for basketball and wish they would have left it alone. Anyway, people are going to complain no matter how many teams are put in because there will still be teams that are left out. The ones left out will whine about fairness and bad officiating or favoritism or whatever the complaint du jour is.
Where in that post did you think I was suggesting it. I’m more for the 1 vs 2 BCS system to be completely honest. I think 6 is the most I would say I’m willing to go for a playoff. 8, 16, 32 is just way too much

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I really like the 4 team playoff. I think I could be convinced of a 6-8 team playoff depending on the setup but that's as far as I would go. Something like conference champs and a few "wild card" teams makes a lot of sense IMO.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Where in that post did you think I was suggesting it. I’m more for the 1 vs 2 BCS system to be completely honest. I think 6 is the most I would say I’m willing to go for a playoff. 8, 16, 32 is just way too much
I wasn't saying that you were suggesting it, only that it wouldn't solve the problem because people just like to complain. I was also fine with the BCS, and I hope they don't add more than four to the current system. If they do, however, I hope they go to eight and not the lame idea of six with two teams getting a bye. These teams play schedules that are way too different to be comparable in order for any teams to receive a bye. As always, these are just my humble opinions.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I really like the 4 team playoff. I think I could be convinced of a 6-8 team playoff depending on the setup but that's as far as I would go. Something like conference champs and a few "wild card" teams makes a lot of sense IMO.
Yeah, I put together my system many years ago and shared it here back in the early 2000s. I wouldn't be opposed to having five conference champs with three wild cards if they went that direction. I put it together so teams could keep their conference alignments and we could keep the four major bowls at that time, ie. the SEC champ would play in the Sugar, Big 10 and Pac 10 in the Rose, etc. They could rotate who the winners played each year in the College Football Final Four after the four major bowls were played. I liked that plan then and still think it is solid because league champions earn a spot. Anyway, we have fared pretty well so far in the playoff, so I have enjoyed it. Roll Tide!

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I wasn't saying that you were suggesting it, only that it wouldn't solve the problem because people just like to complain. I was also fine with the BCS, and I hope they don't add more than four to the current system. If they do, however, I hope they go to eight and not the lame idea of six with two teams getting a bye. These teams play schedules that are way too different to be comparable in order for any teams to receive a bye. As always, these are just my humble opinions.
The problem with 8 is that you get into that realm of “who really deserves a NC shot”. In a given year it’s 4-5 teams.

Personally I think the best way to do it if we expand to more than 4 is go to a 6 team with power 5 champs getting an automatic qualifier. I think seeding those 5 should be off SOS, SOR, and overall record and it should be pretty easy to seed. The real controversy lies in the At large bid because it literally could be anyone.

I just see an 8 team as an opportunity to create chaos with WC. With 6 you are rewarding 1 and 2 with a break while forcing an at large team to prove their worth. With 3-4 WCs you are just asking for a 3 loss team to win it all. JIMO

Last edited:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
The problem with 8 is that you get into that realm of “who really deserves a NC shot”. In a given year it’s 4-5 teams.

Personally I think the best way to do it if we expand to more than 4 is go to a 6 team with power 5 champs getting an automatic qualifier. I think seeding those 5 should be off SOS, SOR, and overall record and it should be pretty easy to seed. The real controversy lies in the At large bid because it literally could be anyone.

I just see an 8 team as an opportunity to create chaos with WC. With 6 you are rewarding 1 and 2 with a break while forcing an at large team to prove their worth. With 3-4 WCs you are just asking for a 3 loss team to win it all. JIMO
I like 6 a lot but I think it would work better if the Big 12 or something no longer existed. The benefit of 8 IMO is you could have the power 5, the top ranked group of 5 and then 2 wild cards. It feels like it would be a lot of games at that point though.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I like 6 a lot but I think it would work better if the Big 12 or something no longer existed. The benefit of 8 IMO is you could have the power 5, the top ranked group of 5 and then 2 wild cards. It feels like it would be a lot of games at that point though.
Personally I wish the Big XII would stop delaying the inevitable in that we are eventually going to 4 geographic Super conferences. I can get behind 2 WCs but I think more than that is just hoping for tournament chaos. I really think top seeding should be a reward so 6 with 2 byes seems more far than 3 games to prove you are #1.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
No expansions necessary, imo. If you cannot make the top four you have no claim to being the best. But even if that's expanded to six teams, it should NEVER be mandatory that P5 champs get in. There could be years where three of the best teams in the country come from one P5 conference, and the Championship should be about the best team in there country, not winning a conference title.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
No expansions necessary, imo. If you cannot make the top four you have no claim to being the best. But even if that's expanded to six teams, it should NEVER be mandatory that P5 champs get in. There could be years where three of the best teams in the country come from one P5 conference, and the Championship should be about the best team in there country, not winning a conference title.
That's incredibly hard to accurately gauge when there are so few common opponents. IMO if you have wild card spots I'm not all that worried about leaving out the 3rd best team in a conference because they might be better than a conference champ. and if you have 2 wild cards you could likely get 3 teams from 1 conference if they really look like the best 3 teams. After that? who cares if you leave out the 4th best team in a conference? I certainly don't.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
That's incredibly hard to accurately gauge when there are so few common opponents. IMO if you have wild card spots I'm not all that worried about leaving out the 3rd best team in a conference because they might be better than a conference champ. and if you have 2 wild cards you could likely get 3 teams from 1 conference if they really look like the best 3 teams. After that? who cares if you leave out the 4th best team in a conference? I certainly don't.
Where do you get two wildcards? Are we moving to >6 teams in this discussion now? If conference chaps get it automatically then six slots give us one wildcard.

Point is, four teams is plenty. Maybe allow the CFP to have a single, optional wildcard game if there's a #5 teams that they believe could actually be the best team in the country. But I think last season proved that four is the right number - Bama barely got it even with a loss that wasn't that bad. That's how tough it should be. Heck, even if they allowed five teams, last year that would have included a 2-loss OSU.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
At some point there will be either this massive playoff or AQs with WCs. The latter is the lesser of the two evils because less games and less chances for flukes or injuries. To do it you need either 6 or 8 and I’m a fan of 6 because it’s more rewarding to the top 2 and less games.

You and I both know that expansion is going to happen because it makes Disney money. And the mouse knows more geographic markets the more revenue. So the question is this “Would you rather have the NFL playoffs or the NCAA tournament in basketball?” for the CFP.

Last edited:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Where do you get two wildcards? Are we moving to >6 teams in this discussion now? If conference chaps get it automatically then six slots give us one wildcard.
I had mentioned the possibility of 4 power conferences and a 6 team playoff or an 8 team playoff.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Both are ridiculously broken so for now I'll go with 'neither'.
4 is okay for me and I rather stay at 4, but everybody knows it’s not going to stay at 4 for much longer. So given the choice the NFL playoff system works far and away better for NCAA football than the tournament system.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Both are ridiculously broken so for now I'll go with 'neither'.
I get what you are saying and I don't completely disagree. The problem is that there isn't really a perfect system. The reason I like the 6 or 8 team playoff is because it gives people less opportunity to complain. That said there will ALWAYS be some disagreement and personally I'd be ok with the 4 team playoff staying the way it is.

However, if we are going to expand I'd prefer it to be limited to 6-8 teams. And, ideally I'd want 2 wild card spots to make room for teams like Alabama last year. With 6 teams that would mean you'd have to only have 4 conferences. With 8 teams you could keep all 5 and add a group of 5 team then 2 wild cards. This would get rid of any "you have to win your conference debate" and likely keep any team that obviously deserves a shot (again like Alabama last year), and it would get rid of the "group of 5 teams don't get a fair shot" argument. It's not ideal but its the best option if we are going to expand IMO.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.