Coach Saban Addressed UCF's "National Championship"

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
It is that way in all f the major professional sports. The playoffs are monster money makers. And there is a ton of parity. In college sports there is a huge gap between a 7 loss team and a 2 loss team. Not so in professional sports.
Not in the NFL or NBA in terms of championships won. There's a handful of NFL franchises who own the majority of super bowl championships. Same thing in the NBA. Spurs, Lakers, Celtics now the Warriors etc. Cavs and Warriors have played in 3 straight NBA finals. Really not much parity at all in the NBA and NFL IRT winning championships..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Not in the NFL or NBA in terms of championships won. There's a handful of NFL franchises who own the majority of super bowl championships. Same thing in the NBA. Spurs, Lakers, Celtics now the Warriors etc. Cavs and Warriors have played in 3 straight NBA finals. Really not much parity at all in the NBA and NFL IRT winning championships..
That has nothing to do with player parity.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Look at their schedule and You’ll only see one deplorable loss. They played one of the hardest schedules in the league
Still, who wants a 7 loss champion. But those are the NFL rules, so NY is the legitimate champion. But I personally dislike the mediocre regular season/hot post season champs. I.e,, I prefer NO automatic qualifiers - NONE.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Still, who wants a 7 loss champion. But those are the NFL rules, so NY is the legitimate champion. But I personally dislike the mediocre regular season/hot post season champs. I.e,, I prefer NO automatic qualifiers - NONE.
Great SB, 2 great teams, what more can you ask for?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I’m guessing Villanova’s stunning upset of Georgetown, which was a phenomenal moment, was a dark day in your neighborhood?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
And they did it to the Pats again 4 years later. :biggrin:
Prior. Lol. 43 was the imperfect ending, 46 was the 9-7 NFC EAST CHAMPS Giants which was only one game worse than the 10-6 NON DIVISIONAL CHAMPS Giants that beat the undefeated Pats. Funny how folks have an issue with the 2011 Giants and not the 2007 Giants.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Prior. Lol. 43 was the imperfect ending, 46 was the 9-7 NFC EAST CHAMPS Giants which was only one game worse than the 10-6 NON DIVISIONAL CHAMPS Giants that beat the undefeated Pats. Funny how folks have an issue with the 2011 Giants and not the 2007 Giants.
I just pulled a random example out of the air - I have a problem with how all major sports determine their champions - it's a farce. The example I gave was simply the most ridiculous...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I just pulled a random example out of the air - I have a problem with how all major sports determine their champions - it's a farce. The example I gave was simply the most ridiculous...
You are not alone. A lot of my friends who are primarily college football fans agree with you.

Their former coach (Scott Frost) has backed WAAAAAAAY off and pretty much made it clear he does not agree with UCF claiming the NC. He even went as far as being quoted that he wished his ring they were issued simply said "Peach Bowl Champions", because that's what they actually are. Not national champions. But if people in general would stop responding and giving life to this topic it would go away. I am VERY surprised Coach Saban elaborated the way he did on this topic since he already addressed it months ago. He normally stops addressing things he wants to make irrelevant. So, yeah, I'm a bit surprised.
Can I get a link for this please sir?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
You are not alone. A lot of my friends who are primarily college football fans agree with you.
Yeah but the problem is that there isn’t much difference between talent between the #1 team and the #5 team in a conference in the pros. So the deserving and non deserving argument is not as clear as many college fans try to make it out to be.

I get it that there are probably just 3 conference champs out there that have a clear shot in college to win it all and a couple of at large bids that have a chance. But Disney is out to make money and you know eventually that they are going to need to get all geographical markets involved to make a bigger profit. So that inevitably means expansion. There are two ways and they are Merit and AQ with AL. You’ll most likely see less games in the AQ way than merit based expansion because I’m telling you they will go to a tournament format if they do merit based a lot quicker than an AQ way because they have less to gripe about nationally with an AQ since all markets are represented and they have WC.

Personally I’m good with the Plus 1 system that we have now, but everyone knows expansion is inevitable. Heck you can see Disney is already pushing it through the airways already.

CrimsonRuss

1st Team
Sep 30, 2015
Hey....let Coach say what he wants.....it keeps people from talking about Tua/Jalen --

I'm guessing his statement was a "rat poison - antidote" - (or "anecdote" if you prefer)
This is the only logical conclusion, in my mind, that Saban made the comments in the first place. Well said Sir!

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
The NFL isn't trying to get the "Two best teams" in the Super Bowl. It's part of the charm and fun IMO. If you want a league that normally has the best team win it all look at the NBA.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I’m guessing Villanova’s stunning upset of Georgetown, which was a phenomenal moment, was a dark day in your neighborhood?
I assume that was t-i-c. But if not, no dark day for me for various reasons, one is that sports generates few dark days for me :) - I'm a Bama fan, another is that I view college BB much differently than FB, and do not have as much regard for their NCs. It's pretty much a crap shoot. Who knows how often the true best team or most deserving team wins the cfb NC, but IMO, there is a much greater chance than in cbb.
But I'm usually happy for the winner in both sports.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I get what you are saying and I don't completely disagree. The problem is that there isn't really a perfect system. The reason I like the 6 or 8 team playoff is because it gives people less opportunity to complain. That said there will ALWAYS be some disagreement and personally I'd be ok with the 4 team playoff staying the way it is.

However, if we are going to expand I'd prefer it to be limited to 6-8 teams. And, ideally I'd want 2 wild card spots to make room for teams like Alabama last year. With 6 teams that would mean you'd have to only have 4 conferences. With 8 teams you could keep all 5 and add a group of 5 team then 2 wild cards. This would get rid of any "you have to win your conference debate" and likely keep any team that obviously deserves a shot (again like Alabama last year), and it would get rid of the "group of 5 teams don't get a fair shot" argument. It's not ideal but its the best option if we are going to expand IMO.
Who cares about people complaining? Let them complain. Excellence should be rewarded, not mediocrity.

I don’t want a 2 or 3 loss national champion. College football has the best regular season in all of sports and it needs to matter.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
That has nothing to do with player parity.
This is your statement:

"And there is a ton of parity. In college sports there is a huge gap between a 7 loss team and a 2 loss team. Not so in professional sports."

Are you not talking about teams in this statement?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The only "real" issue with the NFL's playoff system is that when they went to all four-team divisions in 2002, they ensured this nonsense of 8-8 playoff teams would happen in a particularly mediocre division. This whole "I have a problem with 9-7 Super Bowl champions" is also overblown. Everyone dissed the 12-4 Baltimore Ravens, who went an entire month without scoring a touchdown, too.

Furthermore, the whole argument is talking out of both sides of the same mouth.

"The regular season should matter." Fine, then what's your problem with UCF? Shouldn't they have been in the playoffs?

"Oh, but they didn't play anybody."

So a poorer record is OKAY as long as you "play somebody"? Is THAT the argument?

The Giants played four playoff teams in the regular season and that was 3 of their losses - two were one-score games.

New England, who had the superior record (2nd best in the NFL), only played two playoff teams in the regular season. Oh, they were 0-2. And one of
those two teams was the NY Giants btw.

The Packers, with the NFL best 15-1 record, played the same number of playoff teams the Giants did but went 4-0.

But if you ever needed proof that you can't apply the argument......15-1 Green Bay only beat 9-7 New York by 3 points......and even that required Rodgers to take the Packers down in the final minute for a game-winning FG.

In other words, the gap between a one-loss Packers team and a seven-loss Giants team was......a last minute field goal.

You simply cannot argue that the regular season is supposed to matter and THEN exclude an UNDEFEATED TEAM with the dismissal "they didn't play anybody" and then ignore where that contradicts your argument. UCF had no business there in their sport, the Giants did in theirs. Anyone who had a problem with the Giants being there should have simply beaten them IF, in fact, they were the better team. The Giants - whom for the record I HATE - beat two of those three teams ON THE ROAD and both had a week of rest while the Giants played a wildcard game.

What's funny is this: the NFL and CFB are in many ways the exact same. The best team doesn't always win the championship but the best team DOES get the opportunity to try. This was CFB's biggest flaw back 20-30 years ago.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.