Amazon Shipping Scam

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Good point.

Still dumbfounded at not noticing the shipping cost when making the purchase. Those with more knowledge on the scams - do the scammers do it after the purchase is made or does it show up in the order total when making the purchase?
based on the second story in the article, it sounds like these charges are at least in some cases showing up after the order is made.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Yah, forgot to mention it but I will buy stuff fulfilled by Amazon - much more difficult to scam that way. I literally buy hundreds of items from Amazon annually and have never been ripped of by just being careful.
I do the same. If it's "sold by XXX and fulfilled by Amazon," I spend a little time looking at the seller's history. So far, I've had no problems with them...

Last edited:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
So....she must have missed the shipping charge when she processed the order, right?

All the Amazon orders I have placed....the shipping charge is spelled out before you press the "order" button.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
So....she must have missed the shipping charge when she processed the order, right?

All the Amazon orders I have placed....the shipping charge is spelled out before you press the "order" button.
at least in some of these, the bogus shipping charges are added after the order is processed.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
at least in some of these, the bogus shipping charges are added after the order is processed.
The only way they could do that is to falsify and change the final billing from what the customer agreed to and saw on her screen. It can't be added just willy-nilly through Amazon. That is wire/mail fraud and is a very serious federal offense. I'm surprised they would take the chance...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The only way they could do that is to falsify and change the final billing from what the customer agreed to and saw on her screen. It can't be added just willy-nilly through Amazon. That is wire/mail fraud and is a very serious federal offense. I'm surprised they would take the chance...
my guess is that tidewater and matt had it right on the first page. this is scam sellers setting up shop and getting what they can, then disappearing.

i see stuff in the local paper everyday where people engage in all kinds of ridiculous scams that make you scratch your head wondering why they would take a chance on something so blatant. i guess like most crooks, they don't ever think they're going to get caught.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
my guess is that tidewater and matt had it right on the first page. this is scam sellers setting up shop and getting what they can, then disappearing.

i see stuff in the local paper everyday where people engage in all kinds of ridiculous scams that make you scratch your head wondering why they would take a chance on something so blatant. i guess like most crooks, they don't ever think they're going to get caught.
I guess I - along with a few others - am stuck on how the extra amount is added. That's what doesn't make sense. Did I not read enough in the OP link and missed it?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I guess I - along with a few others - am stuck on how the extra amount is added. That's what doesn't make sense. Did I not read enough in the OP link and missed it?
being technologically inept past anything much more complex than a mouse click, i have no clue. i don't know if there is a way for an unscrupulous seller to set it up where the screen says one thing and what is billed is another. i am basing my guess on something like this happening based on what the second lady in the story said. but she is from tennessee ...

A Tennessee couple told CBS Nashville affiliate WTVF that they bought paper plates just before Christmas for $24 and didn't notice until months later that they were charged more than $1,000 for expedited shipping.

Lorie Galloway said she is an Amazon Prime member and doesn't "order anything unless it's free shipping."

Galloway was charged $1,080 to ship one package of paper plates, she said.

When Galloway called Amazon, the customer service representative was floored at the high charge for the plates, which were shipped to Tennessee from Atlanta.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

That wouldn't matter. It's still a fraudulent charge. Shouldn't be a problem...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.