**** 2019 PG Kira Lewis Commits to Alabama, Will Reclassify and Play in 2018 ****

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Re: 2019 BBALL Kira Lewis

Oh no, nothing new at all. I just don't think it's essentially done deal just yet. Correct me if I'm wrong, Did Kentucky and John Petty played with each other for a while, and there was a talk he might go to Kentucky? SO I believe Bama is still pushing for Watford hard... but I read an article yesterday stating that Bama is also taking a look at CJ Walker. So My thinking is only way we get CJ Walker if it means we gave up on Watford... I believe Walker is better than Watford though. I think lot is in play for Bama...

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

Oh no, nothing new at all. I just don't think it's essentially done deal just yet. Correct me if I'm wrong, Did Kentucky and John Petty played with each other for a while, and there was a talk he might go to Kentucky? SO I believe Bama is still pushing for Watford hard... but I read an article yesterday stating that Bama is also taking a look at CJ Walker. So My thinking is only way we get CJ Walker if it means we gave up on Watford... I believe Walker is better than Watford though. I think lot is in play for Bama...
Interesting. I just saw a recent article saying that Memphis has offered Walker and that Walker had really good performances in the Peach Jam. I've read that many expect Walker to move up in ranking.

MemphisBamaDude

1st Team
Nov 12, 2008
Memphis, TN

Memphis wont get both. So in a way, it is a win win for us.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I agree that recruiting is crazy and anything can happen. I have no inside info and am just going on what I’ve heard. Things change, but I think it’s going to be tough to keep both Walker and Watford away from Memphis.

MemphisBamaDude

1st Team
Nov 12, 2008
Memphis, TN

Either? Both? One or the other? I'm getting confused. Will Memphis have room for both Walker and Watford?
I love Bama and I love Memphis. Not trying to turn this into a Memphis board so I’ll answer this and move on. I do think there’s a good chance Memphis lands Wiseman, Watford, and Walker. They have 2 schollies open for next year but they could make room. Penny’s son is on scholarship and that’s obviously not necessary. Another walk-on has been promised a scholarship next year but you know how that goes. So they would make room for them. If I’m wrong and Bama gets Watford or Walker, it’s not like I’ll be disappointed or anything. Like I said, I love both teams.

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa

I love Bama and I love Memphis. Not trying to turn this into a Memphis board so I’ll answer this and move on. I do think there’s a good chance Memphis lands Wiseman, Watford, and Walker. They have 2 schollies open for next year but they could make room. Penny’s son is on scholarship and that’s obviously not necessary. Another walk-on has been promised a scholarship next year but you know how that goes. So they would make room for them. If I’m wrong and Bama gets Watford or Walker, it’s not like I’ll be disappointed or anything. Like I said, I love both teams.
Kira is trying to graduate early. Likely December grad and start then. Hearing the pg we signed won’t play basketball due to a health issue. Watford is torn. Penny better win because idk how good of a coach he really is. Memphis only hires him to get wiseman. Everything will be changing when one and done is gone soon enough

Last edited:

MemphisBamaDude

1st Team
Nov 12, 2008
Memphis, TN

Kira is trying to graduate early. Likely December grad and start then. Hearing the phone we signed won’t play basketball due to a health issue. Watford is torn. Penny better win because idk how good of a coach he really is. Memphis only hires him to get wiseman. Everything will be changing when one and done is gone soon enough
I very much disagree that they only hired him to get Wiseman. To hire a coach to get one recruit would be extremely shortsighted. Yes, he is an unproven coach. But so far, he’s already won in terms of recruiting and boosting ticket sales. Tubby couldn’t/wouldn’t do either. Of course there is concern since he has yet to coach a game at the collegiate level. But there’s also a ton of excitement that hasn’t been here in years.

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa

I very much disagree that they only hired him to get Wiseman. To hire a coach to get one recruit would be extremely shortsighted. Yes, he is an unproven coach. But so far, he’s already won in terms of recruiting and boosting ticket sales. Tubby couldn’t/wouldn’t do either. Of course there is concern since he has yet to coach a game at the collegiate level. But there’s also a ton of excitement that hasn’t been here in years.
Tubby can coach and win games period. He has a national title to prove it. Excitement last until you don't win ask khakis in Michigan. If you don't believe they hired him because of his AAU connections you are being a homer. Avery might not have coached in the NCAA before but he did coach in the NBA. AAU and NCAA are two different things. If it works great but I predict penny will be an assistant coach 4 years from now

MemphisBamaDude

1st Team
Nov 12, 2008
Memphis, TN

Tubby can coach and win games period. He has a national title to prove it. Excitement last until you don't win ask khakis in Michigan. If you don't believe they hired him because of his AAU connections you are being a homer. Avery might not have coached in the NCAA before but he did coach in the NBA. AAU and NCAA are two different things. If it works great but I predict penny will be an assistant coach 4 years from now
Not really gonna have this back and forth with you but we’ll agree to disagree. Not saying his AAU connections weren’t a motivating factor. I also clearly stated that there is concern since he’s never coached college. Since you seem to like to get the last word, I’ll let you have it. But to say it was the only factor is plain wrong. Tubby certainly can coach but he lacked the enthusiasm necessary to be the coach of a major b-ball program. You know as well as I do that in-game coaching is just part of the job. We will certainly see on that prediction.

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa

Not really gonna have this back and forth with you but we’ll agree to disagree. Not saying his AAU connections weren’t a motivating factor. I also clearly stated that there is concern since he’s never coached college. Since you seem to like to get the last word, I’ll let you have it. But to say it was the only factor is plain wrong. Tubby certainly can coach but he lacked the enthusiasm necessary to be the coach of a major b-ball program. You know as well as I do that in-game coaching is just part of the job. We will certainly see on that prediction.
Ok let me approach it in a different way what coaching resume makes you believe he will be able to do in game coaching or proper adjustments ? I don't care about the last word but to call him a great hire is over eager. If penny wasn't an alum, kid on the team , and AAU team with top prospects , he wouldn't be offered the job imo. I think Mullen went to St. Johns a few years ago and they have gone nowhere.

MemphisBamaDude

1st Team
Nov 12, 2008
Memphis, TN

Ok let me approach it in a different way what coaching resume makes you believe he will be able to do in game coaching or proper adjustments ? I don't care about the last word but to call him a great hire is over eager. If penny wasn't an alum, kid on the team , and AAU team with top prospects , he wouldn't be offered the job imo. I think Mullen went to St. Johns a few years ago and they have gone nowhere.
Just curious to where I said he was a great hire. I said the fans were enthusiastic about it and excited, which there’s nothing wrong with. In my responses to your posts, I agreed that there are concerns that he’s never coached collegiately. That implies that I am worried both about his in game coaching and adjustments. You said earlier that the only reason he got the job was because he could get Wiseman. I said that’s not true. Now you’ve expanded to say the fact that he’s an alum and his kid’s on the team are among reasons that he got hired. I absolutely agree with the alum part. That is a big reason we as fans are excited. His kid was put on the team after he was hired so that’s wrong. I did agree that his AAU connections were a factor as well as Tubby wasn’t recruiting worth a spit. I don’t know that I’d go as far to compare him to Mullin, who had not coaching experience at any level. High school and AAU are not college, but we can agree Penny has more coaching experience at this point than Mullins (or Drexler since many experts want to bring that comparison in). He had won state titles and AAU titles, for what it’s worth. The hire of Penny could go poorly, as many coaching hires do. But I don’t think there’s anything wrong with people being excited.

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa

Just curious to where I said he was a great hire. I said the fans were enthusiastic about it and excited, which there’s nothing wrong with. In my responses to your posts, I agreed that there are concerns that he’s never coached collegiately. That implies that I am worried both about his in game coaching and adjustments. You said earlier that the only reason he got the job was because he could get Wiseman. I said that’s not true. Now you’ve expanded to say the fact that he’s an alum and his kid’s on the team are among reasons that he got hired. I absolutely agree with the alum part. That is a big reason we as fans are excited. His kid was put on the team after he was hired so that’s wrong. I did agree that his AAU connections were a factor as well as Tubby wasn’t recruiting worth a spit. I don’t know that I’d go as far to compare him to Mullin, who had not coaching experience at any level. High school and AAU are not college, but we can agree Penny has more coaching experience at this point than Mullins (or Drexler since many experts want to bring that comparison in). He had won state titles and AAU titles, for what it’s worth. The hire of Penny could go poorly, as many coaching hires do. But I don’t think there’s anything wrong with people being excited.
You should be excited and I hope it half way works only because Bama is pursuing some of the same players . If you don't get wiseman its because Duke or UK came in late

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006

Kira is trying to graduate early. Likely December grad and start then. Hearing the phone we signed won’t play basketball due to a health issue.
I've tried to figure out what should be in place of phone, but I'm having no success. Someone enlighten me, please.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

Kira is trying to graduate early. Likely December grad and start then. Hearing the pg we signed won’t play basketball due to a health issue.
Wow ... if its he case they are really keeping it hush hush. Can't find anything on it as of yet unfortunately. Hoping its not the case.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.