Link: Tua Would've Transferred if he didn't play in NC game.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Tua is not going anywhere. His parents want him to learn about adversity. Never quit. A strong family, with positive Christian beliefs, is what's it's all about.
I highly doubt his parents are going to let him sit on the bench and literally only play in mop up duty until his senior season. I think his parents, like any parents, are keeping an "eye" on the situation and depending on the direction this situation ends up going. Will make decisions accordingly. It would be a complete waste of their time and Tua's to sit for another two years until starting. Plus, I don't think the social dynamics within the team/locker room will hold together to let it happen. One of them will transfer.

Last edited:

UAllday

3rd Team
Jan 17, 2018
Tua is not going anywhere. His parents want him to learn about adversity. Never quit. A strong family, with positive Christian beliefs, is what's it's all about.
Yes. And this is will serve him in life. We also have to understand that there was a lot more to it than what he told those kids. He kind of boiled it down so he could make his message clear. It is lemme concerning to hear this from both jalen and tua but it is what we already knew.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I highly doubt his parents are going to let him sit on the bench and literally only play in mop up duty until his senior season. I think his parents, like any parents, are keeping an "eye" on the situation and depending on the direction this situation ends up going. Will make decisions accordingly. It would be a complete waste of their time and Tua's to sit for another two years until starting. Plus, I don't think the social dynamics within the team/locker room will hold together to let it happen. One of them will transfer.
Considering the "mutiny" we heard so much about last year, the only way Jalen "wins the team back" is if he shows up a totally different QB than the last two years (and what we saw in the spring game).

And if for some reason CNS decided to go with Jalen over Tua, not only does Tua leave T-town before the first game, I believe there are 3 true soph. receivers who might just walk out with him.

As Buzzard said above, we can all wish to believe one thing, but reality will smack that down pretty fast.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
And I doubt the parents would consent to the younger son committing already if they saw this whole thing playing out NOT in their favor.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
And I doubt the parents would consent to the younger son committing already if they saw this whole thing playing out NOT in their favor.
Seeing how much skin in the game a player has to give to give a "commitment" and the consequences or lack there of, if deciding to back out of that commitment. I wouldn't use his brother's "commitment" as a sign that if the situation drastically changed they wouldn't pull up stakes and go. I'm sure his parents have a "feel" of how this will play out. But if by some chance it doesn't playout like they think, his brother's commitment will easily be rescinded and they'll be on their merry way.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Seeing how much skin in the game a player has to give to give a "commitment" and the consequences or lack there of, if deciding to back out of that commitment. I wouldn't use his brother's "commitment" as a sign that if the situation drastically changed they wouldn't pull up stakes and go. I'm sure his parents have a "feel" of how this will play out. But if by some chance it doesn't playout like they think, his brother's commitment will easily be rescinded and they'll be on their merry way.
No doubt about it but that scenario will not present itself IMO.

ontopp

All-SEC
Jan 31, 2004
Decatur.Alabama
What I read was he told the kids he didn't like the challenge. It was to hard, I guess the old days are gone from the Bryant days where he looked for players who wouldn't quit. Even tho Tua looked good in that series. But Attitude counts for something for me. I'm glad I'm not Coach everybody expects NC no matter the cost.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
So, let me get this right -- Tua can't sit on the bench for two years behind Jalen. But his little brother can sit two years waiting for Tua to go?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
So, let me get this right -- Tua can't sit on the bench for two years behind Jalen. But his little brother can sit two years waiting for Tua to go?
That's if Tua stays for four years. Otherwise, his little brother will wait a year behind Tua before competing for the starting job.

Plus, there's the whole "product on the field" thing. One thing to wait your turn behind someone balling out. Another thing to wait your turn while the guy on the field isn't as good as you.

Last edited:

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Sounds more like he was contemplating it than rather doing it. Media are playing this up way more than they should be.
Exactly! I don't get the same message from reading it that most seem to be getting, though the media is certainly trying to lead us to some inferences/conclusions.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
What I read was he told the kids he didn't like the challenge. It was to hard, I guess the old days are gone from the Bryant days where he looked for players who wouldn't quit. Even tho Tua looked good in that series. But Attitude counts for something for me. I'm glad I'm not Coach everybody expects NC no matter the cost.
I have not read what you read but I would be absolutely shocked if he said "I did not like the challenge and it was too hard".

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
You only got half the message he was giving to the kids.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I have not read what you read but I would be absolutely shocked if he said "I did not like the challenge and it was too hard".
Yep - that is what he said. His parents had to convince him to stay at Alabama. He wanted to go somewhere "easier".

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
This has been an extremely complicated situation from the start, and I'm still not sure Saban is getting enough credit for managing it as well as he did. I think it is important to frame it properly. Nick Saban had a roster with only 3 scholarship quarterbacks (I believe he had other targets, and probably didn't plan on all his depth transferring), all teenagers, only one having played in a college game before. Considering 8 of his years at Alabama, he started either a fourth year junior or fifth year senior, he was dealing with a lot of youth and inexperience at the position. On top of that, his offensive coordinator left at a point where everyone else had been hired already. So, Saban had to just grab what ever OC he could and in this case it was a guy with only a basic grasp of the college game. So, you have teenagers and the guy coaching them basically knows nothing about coaching teenagers.

While prefacing this by saying I was wrong, my line of thinking all along was just snag a grad transfer or something and in doing so you not only save a year of Tua's eligibility, but you save yourself some drama (and believe you me, there was drama, which I think contributed to Hurts downward spiral). This was the safe play all along, you save the QB battle for the next year, you know your QB can get you to the championship game, so you take the easy way out. The problem of course was, what if Hurts hasn't improved enough to lead Alabama to a championship? What then?

The answer still isn't as easy as some make it out to be. First off, clearly Jalen Hurts was more prepared to run the Alabama offense at A-Day. Tua showed his skills, showed he was better at some things, but Hurts was demonstrably better with the first team offense. This is nothing against Tua, the guy was a true freshman after all. But, objectively after watching Tua and Hurts with the first team, even people like B1G readily admitted Hurts was the guy at that point.

The thing is Hurts mastery over the offense was still better in the early part of the season as well. In the CSU game, Tua was having so much trouble moving the ball that they had to pull him and put in Hurts just to put the game away. I'm not just talking about his .8 QBR either, the entire offense, running game included was out of sorts with Tua in. Once again, not blaming him, he's a true freshman in his second game. But clearly there were some things he still needed to master before he could run the offense well.

Now, apparently earlier in the season, before the Clemson game, Tua was thinking of transferring due to lack of playing time (though he did play liberally as a backup, so that translates to not starting). There's solid evidence that from A-Day to CSU, clearly Hurts was the guy that deserved to start because he simply ran the offense better (yes, Tua was more talented but there's a lot more to the position than talent). The problem is figuring out at what point Tua really did overtake Hurts, and at what point the reward outweighed the risk.

Saban saw more of Tua than any of us have. Some people talk like he's some old man that can't see what's in front of his eyes. Of course he did. But he saw more than we did. Remember, he's the one that decided not to redshirt Tua. He's the one that recruited Tua. He's the one that tried to play Tua early and often (I think Tua played more than any backup QB in recent memory). It wasn't like he did not value Tua's abilities, but he's dealing with a teenager here. One that's learning the offense, as Saban said struggling a bit with turning the ball over, and on top of that, as we now know, thinking about leaving. That's all understandable, but it doesn't paint a picture of a kid that has everything completely under control, he was like most kids would be in his situation, unhappy, and apparently a bit erratic with his judgement calls.

At the end of the day, Saban managed to steer Alabama to the championship game, win the championship game, and thus far keep around two quarterbacks who have threatened to transfer. To those that think this entire thing threatened his legacy, how he handles this is all about who he is and what his legacy is. He makes the tough choices, and for those that think he couldn't deal with the consequences? C'mon, he inherited a mess in 2007, he was competing for a title by 2008 and won a title in 2009. All of that with recruiting classes that had an average ranking lower than last year's criticized class. These guys need Saban more than Saban needs them.

Last edited:

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Here's the exact quote:

“I called my dad and asked him if my offer to the University of Southern California was still available,” “I wanted to leave. I told my dad I wanted to go to a school where I thought it’d be easier for me and wouldn’t challenge me so much.” - Tagovailoa

Now I understand that doesn't read as nice as we might like. But I think their is hidden context here.

JMHO but I don't think he was/is afraid of working hard and facing
adversity. I think his 'challenge' was completely blowing the starter away in practices but not being given meaningful snaps while having to watch the Starter struggle.

From that view..... when he KNEW he was better and should have been starting... it was a challenge to be patient and keep hoping for a fair opportunity to be included into the 'Circle of Trust'

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
Here's the exact quote:

“I called my dad and asked him if my offer to the University of Southern California was still available,” “I wanted to leave. I told my dad I wanted to go to a school where I thought it’d be easier for me and wouldn’t challenge me so much.” - Tagovailoa

Now I understand that doesn't read as nice as we might like. But I think their is hidden context here.

JMHO but I don't think he was/is afraid of working hard and facing
adversity. I think his 'challenge' was completely blowing the starter away in practices but not being given meaningful snaps while having to watch the Starter struggle.

From that view..... when he KNEW he was better and should have been starting... it was a challenge to be patient and keep hoping for a fair opportunity to be included into the 'Circle of Trust'
Eh, I don't know. I kinda think since he was speaking to a group of middle school kids that he just put it in a context that they could follow easily. I doubt there's any hidden meaning there.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Eh, I don't know. I kinda think since he was speaking to a group of middle school kids that he just put it in a context that they could follow easily. I doubt there's any hidden meaning there.
That was my take. He might have wanted to leave, but I think that his wording was tied to his message - don't give up. I believe that Tua considered a transfer because I doubt that he would have made the whole story up. But I suspect that the use of the words "challenge" and "easier" were tied to the message.

So, yes, he said that he was looking for an easier path, but I suspect that he was just looking to play.

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
Three years. If Tua was a backup till Jalen Hurts finished his eligibility he would have one year left. One year behind a guy that isn't as good. He was never going to stay in those circumstances. It just was not going to happen. Thankfully he got the chance, and just happened to bring us back from the brink of another national title loss as a bonus.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.