Link: Tua Would've Transferred if he didn't play in NC game.

Exactly! I don't get the same message from reading it that most seem to be getting, though the media is certainly trying to lead us to some inferences/conclusions.
Yep, once again the media using headlines to garner unneeded angst among the fanbase. He was just trying to show them a better way and here goes the spin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010
I know exactly what will happen.

It will play out just like it did in the opener in Dallas a few years ago. Both will play, starter will not be announced until just before game time.

Amen! Shut down the thread now, case closed!

RTR!!!!!

BAMAfan777

1st Team
Jun 25, 2010
I actually think that a dual threat of hurts/tua would be devastating for the other team.....very hard to prepare for righty/lefty, thrower/runner. OSU kept three top notch qb’s on the roster, don’t doubt Saban’s ability to do it too

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I agree with those who say that this is getting twisted and taken out of context.

He was talking to kids about not quiting and with great transparency, used himself as an example of how easy it would've been to quit. I think what was unsaid is that he's glad it worked out that he didn't.

Valley View

3rd Team
Nov 7, 2016
Williamson County, TN
I guess the times are changing. Putting on that crimson helmet used to mean something special. Today, schools/teams don't really matter, it's all about me, me, me!!

I would much rather have a 3 or 4 star player who loved where he was and the university than a 5 star spoiled brat who threatens to transfer if he doesn't get his way.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I guess the times are changing. Putting on that crimson helmet used to mean something special. Today, schools/teams don't really matter, it's all about me, me, me!!

I would much rather have a 3 or 4 star player who loved where he was and the university than a 5 star spoiled brat who threatens to transfer if he doesn't get his way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama

To which "5 star spoiled brat" do you refer?

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Tua: "If I gave in, I don’t think I would have seen the end blessing of where I am now.”

Sounds to me like Tua might have told these kids what he was thinking during the season for the purpose of showing them them how wrong it was. He may feel differently now.

major tidefan

All-American
Jul 3, 2006
Boaz,AL

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
I think some of you are overthinking this and jumping to conclusions. I watched the speach video and Interview and I get something totally different out of what was said. Tua had a Tebowesqu moment with all this. Give the young man some credit.

Here is a kid who came to Bama knowing there was a rising star true Sophomore at QB. He was not afraid of competition. He went 2,000 miles further than anyone expected just to be apart of the Alabama Legacy. He could have settled at SC sat one year behind Darnold and been the starter. No, he took the hard route, the one no one else expected and everyone thought he was crazy. He comes in, from day one showed the coaches he would compete for the starting job. He lost out because of Saban's conservative QB philosophy of limiting mistakes vs an attacking style and his loyalty to a young man that had just led the team to exactly where he wanted them to be and scored a TD the last time his hamds touched the ball in the NC game to take the lead. Hurts may have been on the losing side of that game but at that point he had won the team.

Think about that. Here is a kid that did exactly what you asked of him and was 1 second from winning it all. The team believed in him. You dont just replace him without causing catastrophic damage to the dynamic of the team.

Now over the course of the season and more and more practices it became clear who the more talented QB was. Who was the gun slinger and who was the game manager. Of course WRs eyes will light up. They want the ball. Tua knew he had proved in practice he was more dynamic, more acurate, more potent. But he was also more risky with the ball. Something hurts had almost perfected and that played directly into the philosophy and mindset of a 60+ year old coach who had preached ball protection all his life. He also knew his defense would keep him in virtually every game. Just dont make bad turnovers. He knew Tua would be more of a risk taker. As all great QBs are to some degree. They see windows that others dont or that dont even exist and many times they find a way to complete a pass when it's virtually not open. The only real need to even think about pulling Hurts was in the Auburn game. And even then Saban went with the odds and what he felt most comfortable with. A QB that would make fewer mental mistakes and hoped the team would rally. That didn't happen. And that is when Hurts lost some of the team and they felt Tua would have lead them to a win if he had been given a shot. So the fault lies with Saban there, but its really hard to fault him for making that call at the time. Its easy after the fact.

Saban had no choice in the NC game but to try something different. The risk vs reward had totally changed in that game. We were losing and mentally out of it. He needed some type of spark. Something that would totally turn the attitude and mindset of 80 young men in the blink of an eye. He knew Tua would provide that catalyst. He didn't know if it would work out in his favor but it was the only way he had a chance to win that game and he knew it. So he made the call and the rest is history.

I dont care who you are. Tebow, Manning, Favre, Elway, etc. You can be the hardest worker, well balanced mentality, super focused and a exemplary young leader. But when you are the best you want to play. All those guys made bad throws. They made risky choices with the ball at times. But they made more good plays than bad and that is why they were considered great college QBs in their careers. Each one of them had doubts at some point in their school choices, each one fought the negative thoughts in their heads at times, each one wanted to take the easy way out. But in the end they didnt. They persevered and it paid off for all of them. This is was Tua was telling these youngsters. Dont turn his words into something weak, or vindictive or destructive. IMO they were exactly the opposite and they showed humility and perseverance.

This kid is special. But he is also human. No one who has ever played the game has not questioned themselves at some point when things got tough or were not going the way they had hoped. I like his fire, I like his confidence, I like his intangibles that cant be measured. He is a leader of men and will be a winner in life.

Last edited:

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014

You want them to play with leather helmets too? If you want only the kids that "love" the school then I assume you'd be happy winning 7 or 8 games a year, as well. The elite kids these days want to play and they want to play now. That includes Jalen Hurts and Tua Tagovailoa.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Tua would have to be injured to not start against Louisville.

I know I can't watch Jalen run the offense anymore.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Tua: "If I gave in, I don’t think I would have seen the end blessing of where I am now.”

Sounds to me like Tua might have told these kids what he was thinking during the season for the purpose of showing them them how wrong it was. He may feel differently now.
That's what I took away from it as well..................Tua is saying had he taken the easy way out and left, where would he be?

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

So you want Mike Shula back. Yep, that was fun times.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I do think some people are reading too much into this, but I think it would be incorrect to assume it meant nothing. I take Tua's story at face value, he struggled with his role much like Henry did, he got frustrated, he wanted to make a bad choice but he ended up sticking with it and things worked out. However, merely sharing this story in and of itself was a bit questionable.

This doesn't make him a horrible person, mind you if he'd transferred mid-season like Barnett did I wouldn't have had nice things to say, but the desire to quit and actually quitting are two very different things. So I'm not going to judge him harshly. However, this is a reminder to people who have placed exceedingly high hopes on him, that while some of his skills might be NFL caliber, mental development is important to. I'd add it would be naive to think that his play on the field will be fully insulated from this. We shouldn't expect him to be perfect and I think part of the reason he didn't start sooner (though technically he never started, I still consider him the starter now) was because of the understanding that for all his abilities, sometimes he still thinks and acts like a teenager.

Last edited:

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
Tua was talking to a class of middle school kids. Jalen Hurts Dad was talking to a reporter and basically said if Jalen didn't start, he'd transfer. I'm pretty sure it would be wrong to assume Jalen didn't approve of his Dad's comments. It's prudent to note that Jalen never commented that he did not agree with his Dad, or that his Dad was wrong to have said it. So saying, I don't understand why we'd be any more upset with Tua any more than we are with Jalen. I'm not upset with either of them. I kind of expected since mid season last year that the one that lost the job in 2018 would transfer.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Tua was talking to a class of middle school kids. Jalen Hurts Dad was talking to a reporter and basically said if Jalen didn't start, he'd transfer. I'm pretty sure it would be wrong to assume Jalen didn't approve of his Dad's comments. It's prudent to note that Jalen never commented that he did not agree with his Dad, or that his Dad was wrong to have said it. So saying, I don't understand why we'd be any more upset with Tua any more than we are with Jalen. I'm not upset with either of them. I kind of expected since mid season last year that the one that lost the job in 2018 would transfer.
Good post comparing Jalen's Dad's comments to Tua's. It's always possible that the comments by Jalen's Dad were exactly the feelings of Jalen himself. Maybe Jalen thought he better keep his mouth shut but then his Dad did the talking for him. It's all speculation on my part but could be possible. Jalen appeared to be very supportive of Tua's performance in the second half but he still had to be a bit ticked off about getting pulled. We also don't know if Tua feels the same way now as he did during the season. If Tua's lesson to the kids was to not back away from a challenge and become a quitter as soon as you don't get your own way then that message would be positive rather than negative.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.