Link: Tua Would've Transferred if he didn't play in NC game.

MobileCrimson

1st Team
Feb 27, 2014
Not sure how I feel about him saying he would've transferred somewhere that didn't challenge him as much. Glad he stayed none the less. RTR

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/tua-tagovailoa-reveals-planned-leave-alabama-didnt-play-title-game/
He was speaking to kids in middle school so his message was probably to not give up even when it gets tough. It sounds like he gave an example of how it paid off for him to not give up.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I have no problem with his honesty, but he is also talking about 2018 and beyond. Start him or watch him walk. Hard to blame someone with his talent for feeling that way. He shouldn't have to take a back seat to anyone.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I have no problem with his honesty, but he is also talking about 2018 and beyond. Start him or watch him walk. Hard to blame someone with his talent for feeling that way. He shouldn't have to take a back seat to anyone.
I think most of us know what is going to happen.

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
I've said since the middle of last season that he'd not sit on the bench, and why should he? He's far and away better than Jalen Hurts. I've also said already that the best thing for this team is for Jalen Hurts to transfer.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I remember reading an article that came out after the championship game that said Tua was promised to get some playing time against Clemson. We know that he didn't play in that game but I don't know if this was true or not. The same article stated that coach Daboll also was frustrated that Tua wasn't playing. Whether or not any of this is true, it serves no purpose to put this out to the media now.
We've got Jalen's dad talking one way, and now Tua is saying if he doesn't start he's gone. I guess this is off season "clutter" but the sooner CNS names a starter, the better IMO.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The issue seems to be that he was coached to expect a role in the Clemson game but never got on the field so his family's mindset going into the CFPCG was very much dependent on how that played out. I don't think Tua or his family ever wanted to make it about starting or leaving. It was clear to everyone that he need to be on the field for real snaps by the end of the season. Hurts had an up and down season and Tua frankly looked like a better passer in nearly very game both participated.

Frankly, Saban was incredibly conservative when it came to the QB position in 2017 up until the absolute last moment to save it. He didn't have the desire and/or creativity to invent a way for this to work like a reverse Leak-Tebow '06 situation. If Tau's parents spent the greater part of 2017 seeing that offense and wonder why the staff was not giving their son a few real snaps each game to spread out the defense with the passing game then they only saw the season like most fans who were watching.

He deserved to be on the field more in 2017. The fact he was not developed in that fashion over the regular season put the team in a position where the staff felt they couldn't risk putting him in at Jordan-Hare. If not for some good fortune with the committee, that roster decision basically cost us a national title due to that passing game deficiency catching up to us against our best regular season opponent on the road.

I don't really fault this talk because if he didn't see the field and Alabama loses the national title then I'd bet on a slew of freshmen offensive players transferring out of Tuscaloosa. The offense was incredibly poorly managed at quarterback and it is clear that the HC was the center of those roster decisions. It is weird to say this but Saban may have "saved" his career at halftime of the CFPCG. Of course, when you have 5 national titles you don't really lose your career anymore but it is fair to say that 2 straight title game losses where ineffectual offense cost the team would've been incredibly debilitating in recruiting. The dynasty would likely be dead and gone. If he navigates through this little QB fiasco well then I imagine he's effectively extended his dynasty for another full recruiting cycle.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
As I stated way back in the thread when Kiffin first mentioned this, if I put myself in Tua's position and the other guy puts up zero points in the first half of the NCG and coach doesn't give me a chance then I'm probably gone. I don't blame him for feeling the way he did. People wondered why he came to Bama when Jalen had 3 years left but Tua knew when he came here that he could throw the ball better and probably felt he could win the starting QB job easily. Coach Saban played it close to the vest on offense all season and relied on the defense to win but finally realized in the NCG he needed Tua. Fortunately he realized it in time because losing Tua to a transfer would have perhaps been the biggest mistake of Coach Saban's career. Now that we know how everyone feels it looks like Mac Jones will definitely be the #2 guy since either Tua or Jalen will be leaving.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
As I stated way back in the thread when Kiffin first mentioned this, if I put myself in Tua's position and the other guy puts up zero points in the first half of the NCG and coach doesn't give me a chance then I'm probably gone. I don't blame him for feeling the way he did. People wondered why he came to Bama when Jalen had 3 years left but Tua knew when he came here that he could throw the ball better and probably felt he could win the starting QB job easily. Coach Saban played it close to the vest on offense all season and relied on the defense to win but finally realized in the NCG he needed Tua. Fortunately he realized it in time because losing Tua to a transfer would have perhaps been the biggest mistake of Coach Saban's career. Now that we know how everyone feels it looks like Mac Jones will definitely be the #2 guy since either Tua or Jalen will be leaving.
Bet on it being Hurts if one transfers before or during the season too. Saban's conservatism will work out in the other direction now that Tagovailoa has proven he can do it against a quality defense. He'll go with the guy who can bring balance to the offense over the QB runner. The only way Hurts starts is if Tagovailoa continues to have injury problems or he improves greatly on a more-of-the-same A-Day performance.

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
The only way Hurts starts is if Tagovailoa continues to have injury problems or he improves greatly on a more-of-the-same A-Day performance.
Jalen's had 2+ years and he hasn't improved yet. It's not likely that he'll ever be as good as #13 is already.

Well, that's not exactly so. Hurts turned the ball over 14 times as a freshman, so he improved on that. Going 3 and out so often against good defenses, though, is a lot like turning it over. It darn sure isn't conducive to a prolific offense.

Last edited:

TD7

Scout Team
Nov 30, 2017
I completely agree.

Wolfwallstreet

Apr 25, 2018
I concur. It's a no brainer, Anybody with any kind of football IQ knows this. Tua is a generational talent and his brother is apparently a right handed clone. St. Nick almost waited too late to pull the trigger on the change. I trust he has it figured out now. To start Jalen over Tua would convince me senility has set in and it is the beginning of the end. It's apples and oranges. We won't see many three and outs with Tua. And I even prefer Mac Jones as a backup.
Jalen's had 2+ years and he hasn't improved yet. It's not likely that he'll ever be as good as #13 is already.

Well, that's not exactly so. Hurts turned the ball over 14 times as a freshman, so he improved on that. Going 3 and out so often against good defenses, though, is a lot like turning it over. It darn sure isn't conducive to a prolific offense.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.