Another HS shooting - Santa Fe, TX (South of Houston)

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Thank you for your valuable input. Back at post #244 this was posted and may interest you (not everyone wants to wade through a whole thread so apologize if you already saw it):

Originally Posted by Ratal
I was talking to my fiance about this story. I told her that we need to start teaching our kids to be friends with everyone. Yes, the answer should be that is the universal message and not just to be self preservation in a situation like this but you have to start somewhere. We are also very proactive in the realm of bullying. We have reached out to the school to discuss one of our girls being bullied. We have also reached out to the school to make sure our other girl is not being a bully to a girl she dislikes. I have what some of you may feel is an unpopular stance on bullying. I feel it is the responsibility of parents to teach their children to not bully others as well as how to handle being bullied. They are in elementary school. While they hopefully will not be subject to a school shooting ever it is much less likely in elementary school or middle school.

(Then I posted in response)

This is a great post.

Here is something someone else wrote that I found very interesting and valid along those lines......

"I’ve recently had some guns rights groups approach me about speaking at events. I also receive a fair amount of ridicule and shaming for my pro gun stance. All related to Recent events of high school kids being killed by a classmate. Until we are ready to have a discussion about how society as a whole has failed our kids. No laws, knee jerk regulations or tolerance will change a thing.
We need to realize that the responsibility of having kids is 100% on the parents shoulders. This 18 year responsibility is a long road lined with many tears, lots of heartaches and plenty of anger. The ultimate goal is to send them off to adulthood with confidence, manors, drive, self reliance and most importantly a High Sense of Self Value.
That level of self value is the tipping point for most kids. When a kid can stare at his phone/computer for hours. It tells him what’s cool and what’s not cool. It will also be a beacon for navigating through the darkness. That guiding light in the darkness will not show them the right path. Instead it will show them the correct way to starve yourself and avoid hunger pains, correct way to cut yourself and conceal it, the correct way to hate, and lots of other unspeakable things we don’t want to imagine our kids doing. These paths will reduce self value to nothing and support them for feeling worthless. This is a big reason why the suicide rate of teens has risen 30% in recent years. Our role in this game is to make the tough decisions for them. Monitor and regulate what your kids are doing and seeing. If you don’t see warning signs, it doesn’t mean everything is fine. Check in with them.
The most important piece to this puzzle is the self value. The sure fire way to give them NO self value. Is to let them go down the path that modern society dictates. The false promise that college and computers or being a rapper or sports star is the only way to succeed at life. They are not. That valuable self worth can come in many different forms including working with your hands. Doing a job so well that people depend on you. People will get upset when you’re not around doing what you are great at. Ultimately making them “needed”.
Maybe it’s time to bring back industrial arts to high schools. Also bring back Home Economics and show boys/girls how to cook and clean and sew. The path we’re on now is raising a generation of kids with no basic skill set for life(most can’t read a clock now). That high core value will carry for the rest of their lives. When they see great value in themselves, they will also see it in others. They will also have empathy and respect for friends and family. I guess I’m kind of rambling now. I just get so upset every time of see one of these kids pictures on TV. It’s like I can see exactly what is going on with them. If only we as parents could do our job better. Tragedies like we have seen could really be avoided not just pacified."
We’ve had a rough few weeks at my home and I had not seen those posts, thank you.

Parents must be parents, period. How do we accomplish this? I have no idea, but no amount of laws will change the culture that has been created the past several decades. Even boneless chickens take care of their young.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
This club that thinks ten kids dying like this is a joke....is pretty sick. Those that don’t put them in their place for doing so....well that’s pretty sad too.

Roll Tide y’all...

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
What is stopping you, or anyone else, from going beyond the recommendations of gun safety groups? Nothing. You are free to do what you feel is necessary in that area to bring yourself peace of mind. Enacting more legislation or rules regarding gun control isn't going to change anything because when a person reaches the point of carrying out a mass killing rules and laws don't mean a hill of beans.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What this seems to say is that if responsible gun owners want to be more responsible then good on them. I think part of the issue is that by and large it isn't the responsible gun owners who are the perpetrators of any of these acts, or who have their firearms taken and used in one. Laws usually aren't enacted for the people that are already exhibiting good behavior.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
This club that thinks ten kids dying like this is a joke....is pretty sick. Those that don’t put them in their place for doing so....well that’s pretty sad too.

Roll Tide y’all...
The humor isn't derived from kids dying, though, but from the incongruity of the juxtaposition of the expected with the unexpected, which can be done in any context. You lead people to believe that the story is going one way, but then it is revealed that there is another way of thinking about it which is unexpected, and funny. To criticize (or even deny) the humor for being inappropriate is to miss the point. Inappropriateness only adds to the funny.

Q: With this school shooting in Texas, why is everyone carrying on about a royal wedding across the ocean?
A: Hey, royal weddings don't happen every week.

is in much the same form as:

I fantasize all day about going home and ripping off my wife's panties.
I can only last the first four hours of my shift with them riding up on me.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
The humor isn't derived from kids dying, though, but from the incongruity of the juxtaposition of the expected with the unexpected, which can be done in any context. You lead people to believe that the story is going one way, but then it is revealed that there is another way of thinking about it which is unexpected, and funny. To criticize (or even deny) the humor for being inappropriate is to miss the point. Inappropriateness only adds to the funny.

Q: With this school shooting in Texas, why is everyone carrying on about a royal wedding across the ocean?
A: Hey, royal weddings don't happen every week.

is in much the same form as:

I fantasize all day about going home and ripping off my wife's panties.
I can only last the first four hours of my shift with them riding up on me.
That feeling when a joke about an act gets more reaction and outrage than the act itself.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I always find it interesting that the vocally anti-PC crowd proves again and again that they're actually the most fragile humans in existence.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016

Roll Tide y’all...

You have my support. I thought it was extremely tasteless myself. I didn't really think this site was the "time or place" for that, but it isn't my call so I quit posting on NS.

It's always the same core group on the NS board. I read it still, but I'm not sure why. Gotta stay off the What's New tab. It always brings me back here. Back over to Football and Recruiting with me.

Yeah, I know core group. "Good riddance, we don't care what you think, generic tasteless comment, etc..."

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
You have my support. I thought it was extremely tasteless myself. I didn't really think this site was the "time or place" for that, but it isn't my call so I quit posting on NS.

It's always the same core group on the NS board. I read it still, but I'm not sure why. Gotta stay off the What's New tab. It always brings me back here. Back over to Football and Recruiting with me.

Yeah, I know core group. "Good riddance, we don't care what you think, generic tasteless comment, etc..."
I feel the same way. But in the famous words of Eddie Haskell:

"I make allowances for certain people....you know...because of who they are." :biggrin:

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007

Actually I prefer having more people and a wider variety of opinions and discussion. It's one of the many reasons I eventually drifted from far-right to considering other points of views and eventually ended up a "libtard" somehow (cutting my cable and suddenly not watching as much Fox News played a major role as well). That doesn't mean I'm not going to call out stuff that I disagree with either.

I remember the days when it was the people on the right dogging everyone left of middle and constantly trashing Obama every day and that was fine for most of the posters here. But now that the shoe is somewhat on the other foot with the left, middle, and some right leaning posters mostly on the same page on certain topics a lot of posters suddenly can't handle reading NS anymore (not sure if this applies to you or not Wilson, so please don't take it as a direct comment on you). Although the divide in media consumption and the rise of echo chamber social media culture plays a big part in it I imagine.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New subject - I think it's related and didn't want to start a new thread.....

Are there any modern (say in the last 5 years for discussion purposes) family-oriented sitcoms or other TV shows that set good examples for kids?

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Another question....would children with disabilities be shown more compassion by their schoolmates or would they be mocked, bullied, and/or picked on in today's school environment?

I guess it would depend on how the 'schoolmate' was brought up - by their parents, right?

Question for the parents in this thread...are your kids the type who would stick up for a disadvantaged child? If so, why? Is this something you have worked on with them?

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
New subject - I think it's related and didn't want to start a new thread.....

Are there any modern (say in the last 5 years for discussion purposes) family-oriented sitcoms or other TV shows that set good examples for kids?
Check out "Too Many Cooks"

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
And then there's the club full of self-righteous indignation.

Satire like that is SUPPOSED to cause a reaction--preferably in the hopes of getting people off their butts to do something about it (See Jonathan Swift's "A Modest Proposal" for a classic example).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.