Tuscaloosa Police charge LaQuinta Inn manager with human trafficking

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
This is kind of interesting to me as to the difference between her actions, resulting in a charge of human trafficking, and the actions of another hotel manager who was simply charged with promoting prostitution.

It seems like there has to be more there than her simply knowing it was occurring.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
A few years ago up here at our local DD. There was a gal working there and if you ordered donuts with extra sugar, that was the code for sex. It was going on for a while until she got busted by the cops for prostitution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
A few years ago up here at our local DD. There was a gal working there and if you ordered donuts with extra sugar, that was the code for sex. It was going on for a while until she got busted by the cops for prostitution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
so, what did you get if you ordered a dozen donut holes?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This is kind of interesting to me as to the difference between her actions, resulting in a charge of human trafficking, and the actions of another hotel manager who was simply charged with promoting prostitution.

It seems like there has to be more there than her simply knowing it was occurring.
At a guess, the first guy benefited only from the room rent. Somewhere down in the article it says that she was directly benefiting, which probably means a cut of the proceeds...

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
At a guess, the first guy benefited only from the room rent. Somewhere down in the article it says that she was directly benefiting, which probably means a cut of the proceeds...
That's where it gets interesting to me, as a lay-person, since that still sounds like merely promoting prostitution as opposed to actually being involved in human trafficking. Unless she was providing some sort of means and/or access for the abduction and/or imprisonment of them, it seems odd that she gets hit with that charge. Then again, I'm admittedly not familiar with the way the laws are written regarding these crimes.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
That's where it gets interesting to me, as a lay-person, since that still sounds like merely promoting prostitution as opposed to actually being involved in human trafficking. Unless she was providing some sort of means and/or access for the abduction and/or imprisonment of them, it seems odd that she gets hit with that charge. Then again, I'm admittedly not familiar with the way the laws are written regarding these crimes.
i don't know of the details with this case, but in atlanta, in a lot of these cases, the "pimps" as it were, are also teamed up with folks bringing girls (and boys in some cases) here via the airport.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This kinda stuff is pretty normal in Tuscaloosa. I keep hearing how people keep saying how great Tuscaloosa is. I’ve lived here the last four years and can tell you aside from the college, North port, and a few places close to the college there is very little difference between Tuscaloosa and the bad parts of Bham

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This kinda stuff is pretty normal in Tuscaloosa. I keep hearing how people keep saying how great Tuscaloosa is. I’ve lived here the last four years and can tell you aside from the college, North port, and a few places close to the college there is very little difference between Tuscaloosa and the bad parts of Bham
It was that way back when I was there back in the mid 50s - '63. There was a lot of tension between the basically blue collar town and the university. It is not your typical college town where the main source of business and income is the school. The school was resented heavily...

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
Any city that has any size to it with a large minority, low socio-economic population is going to have crime problems. If you make smart decisions, you can more or less avoid those problems. I think the college population is an easy mark for some of these issues. I also think that the city wasn't ready for the the influx of students over the last two decades. We've grown by 20,000 since the 2000 census. I think that Tuscaloosa is on its way to being a really good mid-sized city. The end of the Al DuPont administration and the near monopoly on commercial property really hampered the city's development. We've become much more family friendly in the past few years and hopefully commercial growth will continue to follow.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Any city that has any size to it with a large minority, low socio-economic population is going to have crime problems. If you make smart decisions, you can more or less avoid those problems. I think the college population is an easy mark for some of these issues. I also think that the city wasn't ready for the the influx of students over the last two decades. We've grown by 20,000 since the 2000 census. I think that Tuscaloosa is on its way to being a really good mid-sized city. The end of the Al DuPont administration and the near monopoly on commercial property really hampered the city's development. We've become much more family friendly in the past few years and hopefully commercial growth will continue to follow.
I don’t see it. I still think Campus police and the city as a whole have drawn a line of demarcation around the campus and the surrounding areas and left the rest to its own. There isn’t much difference from Tuscaloosa and the worst parts of Birmingham, and I don’t see that changing anytime soon. I think unless you live in the high income or college areas then it’s really no different than living in Northside Bham.

Just to clarify. I think Tuscaloosa can be a “decent” mid sized town in terms of small business and a few factories, but that’s about it. Most people who work in TTown try to live in Northport, Brookwood, and Vance to avoid Tuscaloosa. I think it won’t be this Hoover type city that Maddox tried to make it out to be. I certainly don’t believe it’s this land of luxury that the more non resident folks wearing crimson colored glasses envision it. I would rather live in Mobile, Huntsville, and some parts of BHam before ever living in Tuscaloosa again. But there are worse places in Alabama.

But to each their own.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.